Kalamansig, Sultan Kudarat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
Map of Sultan Kudarat with Kalamansig highlighted
|Region||SOCCSKSARGEN (Region XII)|
|District||2nd district of Sultan Kudarat|
|• Mayor||Rolando P. Garcia|
|• Total||699.20 km2 (269.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||66/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
The main means of livelihood of the people is farming and fishing.
The nearest point of entry is through Awang Airport, Cotabato City. The town can easily be reached by taking the fully cemented Upi-Lebak National Road. Convenient and safe public transport that plies directly to Kalamansig are also available at NCCC Mall Davao, General Santos Public Terminal and Tacurong City Public Terminal. The Lebak-Saranggani Road via the Municipalities of Kalamansig and Gland is expected to be completed in 2014.
- Bantogon (Santa Clara)
- Datu Ito Andong
- Datu Wasay
- Dumangas Nuevo
- Santa Maria
Like most municipalities in the Philippines, Kalamansig traces its name from various legendary origins. A popular folklore among the Manobos, a tribe of people who were among the earliest inhabitants of the place, explained that the name originated from a phrase “Kulaman-su-wayeg”, which literally translates as “Kulaman in the water”. Kulaman is said to be a famous Sultan of the Valley during the seventeenth century. According to the legend, a long famine came to the place and the Sultan, who was a loving father and provider to his family, ventured alone and gathered cassava, a staple food of the Manobos, for their consumption. Before returning home, the Sultan decided to wash the root crop in a river, but a sudden and strong river current arrived and swept the aging Sultan from his feet, carrying him downstream and was drowned in the process. His body was later found and recovered downriver, coining the word “Kulaman-sa-ig” (Kulaman in the water). The name evolved into “Kalamansig” which later become the official name. In honor of this Manobo tribal leader, the river where he was found was named after him and later, the entire upper valley was called “Kulaman” a former barangay of Kalamansig, now known as the Municipality of Sen. Ninoy Aquino.
|Population census of Kalamansig|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Surrounded with bodies of water and blessed with many marine resources, most of the inhabitants are dependent on fishing as the primary source of income.
- Datu Guiabar Pilot School/DGPS (Located at Brgy. Poblacion)Kalamansig District I
- Ricardo Cabaluna Memorial Elementary School/ RCMES(Located at Brgy. Sangay)Kalamansig District II
- R.D. Talapian Sr. Memorial Elementary School/ RDTSMES (Located at Brgy. Paril)Kalamansig District II
- Teresita Patalinjug Elementary School/TPES (Located at Brgy. Cadiz) Kalamansig District I
- Artemio L. Martin Elementary School/ALMES (Located at Brgy. Obial)Kalamansig District I
- Sta. Clara Central Elementary School/ SCES (Located at Brgy. Sta. Clara)Kalamansig District II
- Nalilidan Elementary School/NES (Located at Brgy. Nalilidan) Kalamansig District II
- Don Modesto S. Buenaflor Sr. Elementary School (Located at Brgy. Dumangas Nuevo)Kalamansig District I
- Sta. Maria Elementary School (Located at Brgy. Sta Maria)Kalamansig District I
- Pag-asa Elementary School/PES (Located at Brgy. Pag-Asa)Kalamansig District II
- Datu Etang Primary School/DEPS (Located at Sitio Meles, Barangay Hinalaan) Kalamansig District II
- Datu Wasay Memorial Elementary School/DWMES(Located at Sitio Proper,Barangay Datu Wasay)Kalamansig District II
- Saint Andrew's Mission School-Main/SAMS-Main(Located at Sitio Tinandoc, Barangay Datu Wasay) Kalamansig District II
- Saint Andrew's Mission School-Annex/SAMS-Annex(Located at Costa Rica, Barangay Datu Wasay)Kalamansig District II
- Limulan Elementary School LES(Located at Barangay Limulan)Kalamansig District II
- F.B. Concha Primary School/FBCPS ( Located at Barangay Limulan)Kalamansig District II
- Datu Ito Andong Memorial Elementary School/DIAMES(Located at Barangay Datu Ito Andong) Kalamansig District II
- Ma-at Primary School /MPS(Located at Sitio Ma-at, Barangay Sangay) Kalamansig District II
- Kalamansig National High School-Main (Brgy. Poblacion)- Headed by Mrs. Erlinda G. Haudar
- Kalamansig National High School- Datu Wasay HS (Brgy. Datu Wasay)-Headed by Mr. Gilbert T.Tagalogon
- Kalamansig National High School- Sabanal HS (Brgy. Sabanal)- Headed by Mr. Antonio A. Gaviola
- Sta. Clara National High School- (Brgy. Sta. Clara)- Headed by Mr. Romeo Camilo
- Sangay National High School (Brgy. Sangay)- Headed by Mr. Freddie V. Tupaz
- Notre Dame of Kalamansig (Brgy. Poblacion)-
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: Sultan Kudarat". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
|Palimbang||Sen. Ninoy Aquino|