Kalamata International Airport
|Kalamata International Airport
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καλαμάτας
|Operator||Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
Kalamata International Airport (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καλαμάτας) (IATA: KLX, ICAO: LGKL) "Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos" is an airport in the city of Kalamata, Greece. It mainly receives charter flights during the summer. On March 2013, Aegean Airlines opened a base in the airport.
The airport is located between Kalamata and Messini on GR-82 (Pylos – Kalamata – Sparta) and west of the train tracks on the Pamisos River plain. The runway is about 2.7 km long and runs from north to south from the highway north to the plain. The terminal lies to the east and is accessed with GR-7/E55/E65 (Kalamata – Tripoli – Corinth).
It is featured in the opening scene of the 2013 film Before Midnight.
- 1959 – Kalamata International Airport opens
- 1986 – Charter flights begin to operate out of the airport
- 1991 – New aircraft terminal was built
- 1991 – Operated by Hellenic Civil Aviation
- 2012 – Renamed "Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos" after Vassilis C. Constantakopoulos
Airlines and destinations
|Aegean Airlines||Summer seasonal: Düsseldorf, Moscow-Domodedovo, Munich, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Saint Petersburg, Stockholm-Arlanda
Summer seasonal charter: Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion
|Astra Airlines||Thessaloniki (PSO)|
operated by Tyrolean Airways
|Summer seasonal: Vienna|
|British Airways||Summer seasonal charter: London-Heathrow|
|Condor||Summer seasonal: Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart|
|Enter Air||Summer seasonal: Warsaw-Chopin|
|easyJet||Summer seasonal: London-Gatwick|
|Middle East Airlines||Summer seasonal charter: Beirut|
|Niki||Summer seasonal: Vienna|
|Ryanair||Summer seasonal: Bergamo|
|Small Planet Airlines||Summer seasonal charter: Katowice, Poznan|
operated by Travel Service Airlines
|Summer seasonal: Prague|
|Thomas Cook Airlines||Summer seasonal charter: Birmingham (begins 24 May 2015), London-Gatwick, Manchester|
|Transavia.com||Summer seasonal: Amsterdam|
Accidents and incidents
- On 16 October 1971 an Olympic Airways NAMC YS-11 was hijacked. It had departed from Kalamata International Airport to Hellinikon International Airport. All 64 passengers survived. One hijacker demanded to be taken to Lebanon. Plane stormed and hijacker arrested. The hijacking lasted less than a day.
On November 2001, fourteen plane spotters (12 British and 2 Dutch) were arrested by the police after being observed taking photos of the air base.
- "Messini travel information". Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Flight Search". Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- Greek Airports: Kalamata International Airport(broken)
- Greek Airport Guide: Kalamata Airport
- LGKL Statistics: 
- http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19711016-0 Hijacked Plane
- Airport information for LGKL at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.