Kalangala beach overlooking the lake at sunset
|Elevation||4,000 ft (1,220 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Kalangala is situated on Bugala Island the largest of the Ssese Islands within Lake Victoria. It is located approximately 60 kilometres (37 mi), across water, southwest of Entebbe, in Wakiso District. The coordinates of the town are: 00 18 32S, 32 13 30E (Latitude:-0.3084; Longitude:32.2250).
Kalangala is a small town located on the beach, on the northern shores of Bugala Island, which constitutes the bulk (68.5%) of the land mass of Kalangala District and is the largest island in the Ssese Islands archipelago.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of the town at about 2,950. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at approximately 4,900. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Kalangala at about 5,200.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- The headquarters of Kalangala District Administration
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- Pearl Gardens Beach Hotel
- Kalangala Information Center
- Kalangala Central Market
- The offices of Kalangala Town Council
- "Distance between Entebbe and Kalangala with Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Kalangala In 2002, 2010 & 2011".