|Motto||Focus research in “3-O” technologies (Bio, Info, Nano), Education and Research Institution|
|Chairman||Late 'Kalvi Vallal' Thiru T Kalasalingam|
|Location||Krishnankoil, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Sub Urban, 320 acres|
|Former names||Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering(AKCE) (1984-2006)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AICTE|
Kalasalingam University (Tamil: கலசலிங்கம் பல்கலைக் கழகம்) is located in Krishnankoil near Madurai in Tamil Nadu, India. The campus is close to the ancient temple town of Srivilliputhur. The tower of the Srivilliputhur temple is used in the emblem of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- 1 History
- 2 Overview
- 3 Features
- 4 Courses offered
- 5 Central and departmental libraries
- 6 Campus
- 7 Examination system
- 8 University status
- 9 Centres of Excellences
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Kalasalingam University (formerly Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering) was established in the year 1984 by the Kalasalingam Anandam Ammal Charities. "Kalvivallal" Thiru T. Kalasalingam, veteran freedom fighter, is the founder chairman. The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi granted university status. Institutions declared under this section are deemed to be universities. Kalasalingam University is member of ICT Academy of Tamil Nadu, an Initiative of Govt of India, Govt of Tamil Nadu and CII, An IS0 9001 - 2008 Certified Organisation.
Kalasalingam University (KLU) is located at the foothills of the Western Ghats in rural setting of Virudhunagar District and is catering to the needs of the downtrodden and rural youth. The University is situated at Krishnankoil, 65 kilometers south of Madurai and 10 kilometers North of Srivilliputhur, in Madurai-Shenkottah National Highway (NH208). The founding philosophy of the Institute is to "Empower Youth", for development through technology.
- Offers 13 undergraduate and 25 postgraduate courses in Engineering in addition to MBA, MCA and MSc courses
- Academic system based on choice-based credit system
- Facilities for research
- B.Tech. programs for people with speech and hearing impairment
- Twinning program in collaboration with foreign universities
- Practical schools for students to promote industry awareness
- Part-time courses for working professionals at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Lateral entry available for certain courses.
It offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) and Master of Technology (M.TECH.)degrees in the following fields:
- Automobile Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Information and Communication Technology
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Central and departmental libraries
- Extensive collection of academic volumes and titles
- Popular periodicals
- National and international journals
- Supplementary digital resources (CD-ROMs and audio cassette equivalent)
University sporting facilities include an athletic track, basketball courts, tennis courts and a football ground. The campus is WiFi enabled and available with SunFire 4800 enterprise server, SunFire T1000 server, 6 numbers of IBM Blade Servers, 4 numbers of Wipro Rack Servers and 6 numbers Desktop Servers (from HP and HCL), and 9 TB storage cater the computing and storage needs of the faculty and students. The central server farm includes file servers, a database server, a mail server, a web server, a backup server, a proxy server, and an e-learning server.
The academic year is divided into two semesters named as Even and Odd. Each semester has two internal exams,one model semester exam and one final exam (semester exam) for all theory subjects. Laboratory courses usually have two internal exams followed by the final exam. Most of the exams are theoretical, similar to other engineering colleges in India. It follows Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) which is followed by leading universities around the world including Indian Institutes of Technologies (IITs).
Centres of Excellences
TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering
TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering (TCNE) is established based on MoU signed on 14 January 2002. The MoU was signed by Dr. C. Thangaraj, Principal, AKCE and Dr. Y. S. Rajan, Executive Director, Mission REACH in the presence of Dr. M. S. Vijayaragavan, Advisor, O/o PSA to Govt. of India and Mr. K. Sridharan, Secretary, AKCE. This centre is offering consultancy and testing facilities for industries and other user organizations in the field of Network Engineering. TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering is undertaking Research & Development activities in the field of Computer Networks, Network Security, Embedded Networking and Power Networks.TCNE
With a view to promoting research, development and advanced training in Discrete Mathematics, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi has initiated steps towards setting up National Centre for Advanced Research in Discrete Mathematics (n-CARDMATH) .
Under [n-CARDMATH] at Kalasalingam University ten sub-projects in the area of Graph Theory and Combinatorial Optimization have been approved by DST. The n-CARDMATH Core Group Research facility (CGRF) in this University include a Library and a Laboratory with high speed computing facilities. Also there is a provision for Visitors Programme.
Dr. S. Arumugam, Senior Professor (Research), Kalasalingam University is the Coordinator of the Project.
Centre Of Biotechnology
The Centre is challenged with the goals of developing new technologies and processes for the welfare of society, viz. (1) production of functional Biomolecules for the treatment of diabetic retinopathy using nanotechnology; (2) screening of new compounds for inflammatory diseases using molecular immunology; (3) development of novel proteins for medical applications by structural bioinformatics; (4) production of commodity chemicals from renewable sources by GMOs. Biotechnology
Centre Of Composite Material
Centre for Composites Materials was established in the year 2009 as an interdisciplinary centre for carrying out teaching, research, design and development in the field of composite materials and their applications. The centre has dedicated laboratories for composite materials processing, materials testing, composite machining and deposition. The centre is taking effort to produce eco friendly high performance materials. This research centre is partially funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).Center for Composite Materials Research
Centre for Multifunctional Material Research
Multifunctional Material Research in Advanced Materials Science & Technology, The development of advanced materials can even lead to the design completely new products including medical implants, miniature energy storage devices, display devices, etc. Multifunctional Materials Research Centre
- Anand Institute Of Higher Technology
Website : www.aiht.org
- Anand Teacher Training Institute for Women
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Pharmacy
Website : www.akcpharmacy.org
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Arts & Science
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Polytechnic College
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Industrial Training Institute
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Teacher Training Institute
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Education
- Kalasalingam Institute Of Technology
- [Under section 3 of UGC act 1956 wide notification No. F.9-2/2002/U.3 dated 20 October 2006 to AKCE.
- "List of Accredited Universities in Tamilnadu". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. Retrieved 2009-03-31.[dead link]