Salihundam Historic Buddhist site is near Kalingapatnam
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kalingapatnam was one of the ancient Andhra's harbor towns. Perfumes, textiles and so on were exported to other countries from the port. Kalingapatnam port was closed during British rule of India, but the light house constructed by the British at Kalingapatnam port.
Kalingapatnam has a darga called Madina Saheb where people of all religions worship the god. Kalingapatnam is one of the famous tourism places in and around of Srikakulam District for its well established Light-house and for some other natural beauties there.
A marine police station also established here in 2009 and 24*7 Safe guards are available at 17 Mile Long Beach.
Radar Based Automatic Identification System installed above Light-house in 2011.
The estuarine area formed here by river Vamsadhra froms rich feeding and breeding ground for both shell and fin fishes.
- Kalingapatnam Beach is meeting place of Vamsadhara to Bay of Bengal.
- Kalingapatnam has emerged as an undisputed investment destination for investors, offering vast business opportunities.
- Mining & Minerals Industrial hub development between Vamsadhara and Nagavali River's meeting place to Bay of Bengal.
- Kalingapatnam has a good linkage to the Road, Rail and Airport connectivity, 10 km from National Highway,15 km from Railway Station and 100 km from Airport.
The State Government has taken steps to develop Kalingapatnam Port.
Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation has proposed to develop Kalinga beache to make it a tourism destination. The Government has also prepared plans for the improvement of facilities in the Buddhist site located at Salihundam.
List of Educational Institutes
- District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) at Vomaravalli
- Sarada Institute of Science & Technology & Management(SISTM) at Ampolu
- National Institute of Information Technology(NIIT) at Gara
Temples and Festivals
- Srikurmam is a well knownn Sri Kurmanadha Swamy Temple.
- Salihundam is an ancient buddhist pilgrimage centre.
- Madhina Baba Darga is located at Kalingapatnam