|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Revenue||550 million (US$8.6 million)|
Number of employees
Kalnirnay (translation in Marathi : timely decision) is a popular calmanac (Calendar +Almanac) used in India. As per the Audit Bureau of Circulation (India), it is the world’s largest selling publication, with a circulation of 1,81,87,168 copies
Kalnirnay was founded in 1973 by Jayantrao Salgaonkar, an astrologer from the Konkan belt of Maharashtra. It initially started as a hand-printed almanac for Marathi subscribers. The first issue was sold to 10,000 subscribers. It gradually grew to become the largest selling publication in the world, with around 19 million copies being sold annually.
Publication and Contents
Kalnirnay is published annually, by Sumangal Publishing, as a calendar almanac for all Indian religions. It contains auspicious dates, festivals and celebrations of Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Parsis and Jews are mentioned in detail. It also provides useful information about Daily Panchang, Shubh Vivah Muhurat, Sankashti Chauturthi Chandroday Timing, Daily Sun Rise – Moon Rise Timings, Monthly Astrological Predictions for all Zodiac Signs, etc. It is published in seven languages - English, Marathi, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada, with marathi accounting for the bulk of its readers.
In addition to dates and times of religious and cultural relevance, each issue also contains articles on topics such as health, food and beauty.
- "Kalnirnay to launch regional editions". Expressindia.com. 20 October 1999. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "About Sumangal". Kalnirnay official website. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- IANS (20 August 2013). "Kalnirnay' almanac founder dead". Mid Day. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Kanade, Siddhesh (21 August 2013). "Jayantrao Salgaonkar, founder of Kalnirnay passes away". Printweek. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- jaisinghani, Bella (22 August 2013). "Man who revolutionized the almanac passes away at 84". The Times Of India. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Indo Asian, News Service (20 August 2013). "Astrologer Jayantrao Salgaonkar dead at 84". News Reporter. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Kalnirnay’ almanac founder, Jayantrao Salgaonkar dead". Bombay Informer. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.