Kalyan International Airport
|Kalyan International Airport
कल्याण अंतरराष्ट्रीय विमानतळ
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Serves||Mumbai Metropolitan Region|
|Location||Kalyan, Maharashtra, India|
Kalyan International Airport was a proposed alternative site for the second airport for the Mumbai Metropolitan Region The project site is located around RAF Kalyan, an abandoned World War Two airfield near Kalyan in Thane district, Maharashtra, India. The state government dropped the idea of examining alternative sites in February 2014 as it had secured all necessary approvals for the Panvel site.
The Union Ministry of Environment and Forests raised environmental objections on the proposed location of the Navi Mumbai International Airport near Kopra Panvel area, because the construction of the airport would involve reclamation of low-lying areas in an ecologically fragile zone as well as destruction of several hectares of mangroves. Several alternate sites were then proposed, one of which was centred around a 1,800 acres (7.3 km2) piece of land owned by the Airports Authority of India, the site of an abandoned World War II era airfield near Kalyan.
The airfield at Nevali was used by the Royal Air Force pilots during World War II to give operational cover to the Bombay region. Its concrete runways still exist, albeit in an abandoned state. The Land records show the ownership of the 1,700 acres (6.9 km2) of land as with the Airports Authority of India. A small portion of the land is used by the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for research activities. The total area of the Nevali air base was over 1,800 acres (7.3 km2). Post-Independence, the ownership of the land was transferred to the Ministry of Defence.
In October 2006 the Government of Maharashtra first proposed the Kalyan-Nevali site as a fit candidate for a third airport for the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. In August 2007, former national security advisor (NSA) M K Narayanan had communicated to the then chief minister, Vilasrao Deshmukh, that the airport could not come up on the 1,800 acres of defence ministry land, as the area was near the site for a research and development laboratory of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).as the laboratory was being constructed in the adjacent area, the land was not suitable for airport development on safety and security grounds. The state government dropped the idea of examining alternative sites in February 2014 as it had secured all necessary approvals for the Panvel site.
Location & Benefits
The airport is located on Malanggadh Road at village Nevali 12 km from Kalyan railway station and also 55 km away from the current CSIA airport at Sahar Mumbai. The location is close to urban areas of the Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation including Kalyan, Dombivali, Bhivandi, Mira-Bhayander, Ambernath, Badlapur, Shahapur and Ulhasnagar The area is also close to the Highway intersection of Shil Phata. Nearest railway stations are Kalyan railway station, Ambernath railway station and Badlapur railway station on the central line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway network Nearest National Highways are the National Highway NH-222 and the National Highway 3
The Kalyan site was proposed because:
- The Airbase still has a concrete runways that were used by the British warplanes during World war II, some old hangars as well as the remains of Control Cabin also present.
- The total area of the Nevali Airbase is over 1,800 acres (7.3 km2) which is relatively free of any natural obstacles.
- No possibility of CRZ (Coastal Regulatory Zone) violations, flattening of mountains or diversion of any rivers.
- "At least 12 foreign firms expected to bid for Navi Mumbai airport". Live Mint. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_state-seeks-an-airport-in-kalyan_1060976 Government of Maharashtra seeks third airport for Mumbai in Kalyan
- http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6407658.cms Article in Marathi daily Maharashtra Times shows the 7/12 is with the Airports Authority of India
- http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/nsa-had-rejected-kalyan-site-for-mumbai-airport-in-2007-110082000099_1.html NSA had rejected Kalyan site
- Maha govt seeks approval for another airport this one in Kalyan
- 2nd Airport for Mumbai and how not to build it by Dorab Sopariwala