Kalyani Government Engineering College
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
|Kalyani Government Engineering College|
|Type||Government engineering college, aided by the World Bank under TEQIP Programme|
|Principal||Dr. Krishnendu Chakraborty|
|Location||Kalyani, West Bengal, India|
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Technology - WBUT|
Kalyani Government Engineering College (KGEC), in Kalyani, West Bengal, India offers undergraduate (B.Tech.) and postgraduate (M.Tech., M.C.A.) engineering degree courses under West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT). Primarily known for its B.Tech courses in Information Technology, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science and Engineering, the institution expanded into offering a fifth discipline of Electrical Engineering in 2006.
The institution is regulated, operated and sponsored by the State Government of West Bengal. Prior to the formation of WBUT, all of its courses were running under University of Kalyani until 2001. Apart from academic courses, many students and staff members are involved in government and industry sponsored research projects. Kalyani Government Engineering College is ranked 72 and 69 in all India rankings of Top 100 Engineering College in India in 2011 and 2012 respectively.
Kalyani Government Engineering College is an engineering college within West Bengal and in India. The college was established in 1995 by the Government of West Bengal. The college is located within the University of Kalyani Campus, Kalyani Township, District Nadia, West Bengal. Kalyani is 53 km. from the Sealdah Railway station (Eastern Railways) of Kolkata and also connected through Kalyani Highways. The railway station nearest to the College is Kalyani Ghoshpara, about 2 km. away from the venue.
 Affiliation and accreditations
- All India Council for Technical Education [AICTE]
- University Grants Commission (India) [UGC], Government of India
- Ministry of Human Resource Department, Government of India
- Ministry of Higher Education Dept., Govt. of West Bengal
 Admission procedure
The undergraduate students (B.Tech.) of this college are admitted from the WB Joint Entrance Examination (WB-JEE). B.Tech. courses have provision of 10% lateral entry at the second year level from WB Joint Entrance Examination for Lateral Entry (JELET). Similarly, the M.C.A. students are being admitted through WB MCA Joint Entrance Examination (JECA). The institute holds its own admission test for the selection of M.Tech. courses.
The institute being a government one, has no management quota private admission facility for any of its courses.
 Student accommodation
The college has four boys hostels:
- Raja Rammohan Roy Hall(New Hall) "www.newhall.in",
- Rishi Bankim Chandra Hall (RBC),
- Vidyasagar Chhatrabas (VC),
- Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy Hall (APC)
- and one girls hostel Pritilata Chhatrinivas (PC).
Acharya Prafulla Chandra Roy Hall is reserved for first year students. All the hostels except VC are located inside the college campus.
There is additional accommodation for the MCA students, in a separate building near the Teacher's quarters, called the Type III.
 Student Union, KGEC
Students are united by the KGEC Students Union.
Cultural activities include Blood Donation Camp, Annual Festival (Techtix and Exotica), Freshers' Welcome, Teachers' Day, and Alumni Meet.
The Students' Union published their first annual Magazine, 'Bhor' in 2008. There is a library operated by the Students' Union. The Students' Union conducts the annual sports, the annual cricket tournament and the annual football tournament.
Seminars, debates, quiz, workshops and exhibitions are included in the activities of KGECSU. The Union has a Science Club, a Game Club, an Astronomy Club, a Robotics Club and a Music Club.
There are 11 portfolios in the Union - President, Vice President, General Secretary, Assistant General Secretary, Cultural Secretary, Game Secretary, Magazine & Library Secretary, Cashier, Assistant Cashier, Office Secretary and Auditors.
- "Top 10 Engineering Colleges of West Bengal, India". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "All About Education". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "10 Top TECH Schools". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). 2009-06-11. Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- "Homepage of ranks". Retrieved 2012.
- "Homepage". Website of Kalyani Government Engineering College. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Information About Affiliated Colleges". West Bengal University of Technology. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
- "Major activities of the [Higher Education] department". Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- Official website
- KGEC Students' Union homepage
- Ministry of Higher Education Dept., Government of West Bengal
- National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for KGEC