Kamal Ahmed (journalist)
|Education||Drayton Manor High School, London
University of Leeds
City University Department of Journalism, London
|Occupation||Journalist, editor, administrator|
|Known for||Business Editor, BBC News
Former Business Editor, The Sunday Telegraph
Fmr. Director of Communications at the Equality and Human Rights Commission
Fmr. Political Editor, The Observer
Journalist & features writer
Kamal Ahmed (born c.1969) is a British journalist, and the current Business Editor of BBC News, having begun in March 2014. He was formerly the Political Editor of The Observer newspaper, Business Editor of The Sunday Telegraph newspaper and Director of Communications at the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
From 1980-1986, Ahmed was educated at Drayton Manor High School, a state comprehensive school in Hanwell in the London Borough of Ealing in West London, followed by the University of Leeds, from which he graduated in 1990 with a degree in Political Studies. He then trained in journalism at the City University Department of Journalism.
Ahmed worked on local newspapers in Scotland before joining Scotland on Sunday in 1993. He later moved to The Guardian and became executive news editor and Political Editor at the The Observer newspaper. After leaving the newspaper, he then became group Director of Communications at the Equality and Human Rights Commission, recruited by its then chairman Trevor Phillips. In 2009, Ahmed was appointed Business Editor for The Sunday Telegraph, undertaking a course at the London Business School before replacing Mark Kleinman, who left for Sky News. In 2013 he became executive business editor, with a role across the Sunday and Daily Telegraph print editions.
- "BBC appoints Telegraph's Kamal Ahmed as business editor". BBC News. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Alumni News - KAMAL AHMED". Drayton Manor High School, Hanwell. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Who's been here? | Politics and International Studies (POLIS)". University of Leeds. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "BBC Radio 5 live - On the Money". BBC. 23 October 2011. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Helen Pidd (26 July 2009). "Trevor Phillips 'shocked' as ally quits watchdog". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- Oliver Luft (27 July 2009). "Former Observer exec Kamal Ahmed joins Sunday Telegraph". Press Gazette. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- Victoria Bates (21 August 2009). "NEW SUNDAY TELEGRAPH BUSINESS EDITOR ON STEEP LEARNING CURVE". City AM. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Column - Kamal Ahmed". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- John Plunkett (20 December 2013). "BBC appoints Sunday Telegraph's Kamal Ahmed as business editor". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "MGC News", Malvern St James, OGA News, Spring 2013, p.17
- BBC News - Kamal Ahmed's BBC 'Business Blog'
- BBC News - Kamal Ahmed articles
- Twitter - Kamal Ahmed, BBC Business Editor
- Column @ Daily Telegraph
- Journalisted - Kamal Ahmed
Media offices Preceded by
Business editor of BBC News