|Born||New York, New York, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Joel Marshall (m. 2007)|
Kamala Lopez is an actress, director, and political activist. Lopez has appeared in movies including I Heart Huckabees and Born in East L.A., and in television shows such as Lie To Me, Alias, and others.
Lopez has worked as an actor in over thirty feature films including "I Heart Huckabees", Born in East L.A., Deep Cover, and The Burning Season and over seventy television shows including NYPD Blue, Alias, Star Trek Voyager, Lie To Me and It's Gary Shandling's Show.
Lopez directed the Spanish language short film Ese Beso in Madrid, Spain, starring Daniel Freire and Lia Chapman. She directed the film A Single Woman, about the life of first US Congresswoman, Jeannette Rankin. The film was adapted from the play of the same name, written by Jeanmarie Simpson, a relative of Lopez's, and starred Simpson as Jeannette Rankin along with Judd Nelson and included the voices of Patricia Arquette, Martin Sheen, Chandra Wilson, Peter Coyote, Karen Black, Francis Fisher and the music of Joni Mitchell.
In 2010 Lopez created the ERA Education Project, a national media campaign to raise awareness about the Equal Rights Amendment in the United States. She is a blogger for the Huffington Post.
Ese Beso won the Audience Award at the Boyle Heights Latina Film Festival in 2012. In January 2012, Lopez was named one of the 21 Leaders for the 21st Century by Women's eNews. In July 2011, she received the Woman of Courage Award from the National Women's Political Caucus. On July 14, 2009 Lopez and Heroica Films were given an Exceptional Merit Media Award for the film A Single Woman. In 2009 she was given a retrospective of her work, both as an actor and director, at the Museum of Latin American Art.
- Gonzalez, Luis Manuel (January 29, 1995). "Kamala Lopez-Dawson", La Opinión 69 (136): 1D.
- [dead link]
- "Wired Science". PBS. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Torres, Vicglamar (October 4, 2007). "La Ciencia al Alcance de Todos" Hoy Nueva York,
- (October, 2007). "Latina Plugs In For Wired Science" Latino Perspectives Magazine "LP Journal"
- "Kamala Lopez defends women's rights". The Times of India. July 26, 2011.
- Cynthia Schwartz - Advancing Women Peace Artists (2011-05-26). "Civilization Needs Peace as Bread Needs Yeast - Jeannette Rankin, Back in the Kitchen". PRLog. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "A Single Woman - Movie About Historic Congresswoman Jeannette Rankin". Asinglewomanmovie.com. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "The Striking Writers Speak!". Retrieved Nov 24, 2007.
- "Actress Kamala Lopez defends women’s rights News". Inewsone.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.[dead link]
- "Kamala Lopez defends women's rights". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-03-13.[dead link]
- "Kamala Lopez". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Boyle Heights Latina Independent Film Extravaganza". BHLIFE. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- WeNews Staff (2012-01-01). "Women's eNews Announces 21 Leaders for the 21st Century 2012". Womens eNews. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- United States (2011-11-06). "2011 Exceptional Merit in Media Awards (EMMAs) | National Women's Political Caucus". Nwpc.org. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Home". MOLAA. Retrieved 2012-03-18.