||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (November 2012)|
25 April 1971 |
Januganj of Balasore, Odisha
|Notable work(s)||Popular Science Writer|
|Notable award(s)||Orissa Bigyan Academy
Bigyan Prachar Samiti
Early life and education
Kamalakanta Jena was born on 25 April 1971 in the village Januganj of Balasore district in the state of Odisha, India. He passed from Januganj M. E. School in the year 1983 with 'O’ grade and stood 4th in Balasore Circle. He completed his matriculation from Remuna High School, Remuna, Balasore in the year 1986 with First division securing record mark (88%) in second language English in H.S.C. Examination. He stood 3rd in India National Mathematical Olympiad (Regional Level) Examination – 1987 while continuing +2 Science in F. M. College, Balasore. He got his graduation degree from F. M. College, Balasore under Utkal University in the year 1991 with Physics as honours.
Sri Jena was an MSc student in the P. G. Department of Physics, Utkal University campus, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar during the session 1991–1993. After successful completion of MSc in Physics with First class (Second position in Utkal University) he joined as Junior Research Fellow in Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar. His proficiency as a meritorious student can be further evidenced from his success in qualifying IIT – GATE and CSIR – NET.
Sri Jena, with keen interest in teaching, joined OES (Orissa Education Service) under the Department of Higher Education, Orissa at the age of 28 years. He started his teaching career from the Department of Physics, Government College, Sundargarh, Orissa on 14 May 1999. He served for about 15 years in Government College, Sundargarh and Government Women's Junior College, Sundargarh. Now he is working with the Department of Physics, Bhadrak Jr/Auto College, Bhadrak, Orissa (since 26 November 2013).
This being the age of Science and Technology, it becomes the first and foremost responsibility of academicians in the sphere of science to make scientific knowledge accessible to the common people and school children of our country. Only then can we aspire to rise to prominence in the world order. In this context, Sri Jena's contributions and achievements are of a superlative nature. In fact his achievements and accomplishments in dissemination of scientific culture and mindset in our state are too many to enumerate.
Kamalakanta Jena, a distinguished academician in the field of Physics, is better known as a highly acclaimed writer of science articles and books throughout the state of Orissa and beyond. He started reporting in 1986 at the age of 15 years for 'The Chalachitra Jagat', one of the leading Cine Magazine published from Cuttack. His first article was published in esteemed Oriya daily 'The Sambad' on 8 December 1991. His articles have been published in various magazines and journals, viz., The Sambad, The Prajatantra, The Samaja, The Samaya, The Dharitri, The Pragativadi, Bigyanaloka (Orissa Bigyan Prachar Samiti), Sansar, Meena Bazar, Nandan Kanan, Shisulekha, Sishu Prativa, Pourusha, Yojana, Akshay Urja, NBT Bulletin, Emerging Science, The Statesman, Science Reporter (NISCAIR) etc. Sri Jena, who is a Life Member of Orissa Bigyan Academy, is an eminent contributor to the flagship magazines of the Academy – "Bigyan Academy" and "Science Horizon". Despite his young age, he has more than 700 articles to his credit, published in almost all magazines and newspapers of repute in the state.
Sri Jena is a celebrated speaker on Popular Science in Radio Talk Programmes. His science talks aired in radio have been highly appreciated by the people. He worked as Editor, The South, the annual magazine of South Hostel, F. M. College, Balasore, Orissa for the academic year 1990–91. He worked as Editor, The Vanisourav, the annual magazine of Godavarish Hostel, Utkal University Campus, Bhubaneswar for the academic year 1992–93. For the time being, he is working as Associate Editor, DIGBALAYA, Orissa Physical Society, Bhubaneswar. He represented Orissa Chapter as a prominent Science Communicator in the 99th Indian Science Congress-2012 held in KIIT University, Bhubaneswar.
Not only in Science, Sri Jena is also a noted humour writer. Many of his humour/satirical articles have been published in Haribol, Rabibara Samaja, Dharitri Chhutidina, Sambad, Byangabaani, Manorama, Tikie Hasa, Pragatibaadi, Lavanya, Teerataranga, Parichaya, Time Pass, Byanga Darabar etc. He is known as ADHAPOKA in the field of humours.
01. Kathaare Kathaare Bigyan (Pragati, Sundargarh),
02. Barshaa Bijulira Khela (Vidyapuri, Cuttack),
03. Chhota Nuhen Chhota Kathaa (Nalanda, Cuttack, selected by State Library),
04. Big Bang Machine (The Book Point, Bhubaneswar),
05. Gapare Gapare Bigyan (The Book Point, Bhubaneswar), Awarded by Orissa Bigyan Academy in 2011
06. Barshaa Bijuli Ghadaghadi (Vidyapuri, Cuttack),
07. Anapaaramparika Shakti (Holy Faith International, Cuttack),
08. Gachha Lataara Gahana Kathaa (Holy Faith International, Cuttack)
01. Environmental Education (+2, Vidyapuri, Cuttack),
02. Paribesha Shiksha (+2, Vidyapuri, Cuttack),
03. Practical Physics (+2, Nalanda, Cuttack),
04. Ama Bigyan – Class I (Holy Faith International, Cuttack),
05. Ama Bigyan – Class II (Holy Faith International, Cuttack),
06. Ama Bigyan – Class III (Holy Faith International, Cuttack),
07. Ama Bigyan – Class IV (Holy Faith International, Cuttack),
08. Ama Bigyan – Class V (Holy Faith International, Cuttack)
The sincere commitment of Sri Jena to advancement of Science among common people in the state of Orissa and beyond has received recognitions from a multitude of academic and cultural institutions. His genuine efforts spreading awareness of environmental issues among the masses has been recognized by the award of the Prakruti Bandhu Puraskar by the Government of Orissa in the year 2007. He has been felicitated by various organisations including Bigyan Prachar Samiti, Orissa and awarded 'Prakruti Bandhu Puraskar' by Government of Orissa. Recently, he has been confirmed for Orissa Bigya Academy Award for the year 2011 for his story book Gapare Gapare Bigyan on popular science.
The list of awards follows :
- Award for Innovative Teaching Physics, 2012 : Kendriya Vidyalaya, Sundargarh
- Pranakrushna Parija Popular Science Award, 2011 : Orissa Bigyan Academy, Bhubaneswar
- Parashamanee Sammana, 2011 : Parashamanee Magazine, Baripada
- Padmacharan Smruti Sammana, 2011 : Ispat Sahitya Sansad, Rourkela
- Janapriya Bigyan Puraskar, 2010 : Bigyan Prachar Samiti, Cuttack
- Telingibaza Bigyan Sammana, 2009 : Telingibaza Magazine, Rourkela
- Chandrama Prabandha Sammana, 2009 : Chandrama Magazine, Anugul
- Sishu-Sahitya Sammana, 2008 : Sishu-Sahitya Sansad, Keonjhar
- Laabanya Saraswat Sammana, 2008 : Laabanya Magazine, Sundargarh
- Naba Pratibha Sammana, 2008 : Biswa-Sahitya Seva Sangha, Ctc
- Prakruti Bandhu, 2007 : Government of Orissa
- Utkal Prabha, 2007 : Neelachakra Prakashan, Puri
- Bigyan Lekhaka Sammana, 2007 : SCART, Cuttack
- Abhinandan Pratibha Sammana, 2006 : Abhinandan Newspaper, Balasore
- Tiki Kaincha Pratibha Sammana, 2006 : Tiki Kaincha Magazine, Bolangir
- Gopinath Mohanty Pratibha Puraskar, 2005 : Bigyan Prachar Samiti
- Best Graduate, 1991 : Rotaract Club, Bhadrak
- Felicitated by Ispat Sahitya Sansad.
- Jena, Kamalakanta. THOUGHTS ON 'DOOMSDAY' CATASTROPHE IN 2012'. Science Horizon. Orissa Bigyan Academy. July 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamalakanta Jena.|
- Orissa Bigyan Academy
Orissa Bigyan Academy, Unit-IX(F),. Bhubaneswar-751022, ORISSA, INDIA, Tel: 0674 – 2543468 ... Kamalakanta Jena. 43. 15. 5W's + H ... Because the all-round developments in areas such as health, environment, ...... modern time are in the portals of wavebands ... www.orissabigyanacademy.nic.in/.../pdf/SHAugust-20113.pdf – Cached – Similar
- Orissa Bigyan Academy
29 Jul 2011 ... The Unsung Indian Medical Scientist. G. C. Sahoo and V. J. Vikram. 7. 5. Thoughts on 'Doomsday' Catastrophe in 2012. Kamalakanta Jena. 8. 6. Value added.. www.orissabigyanacademy.nic.in/.../Science%20Horizon%20July-2011.pdf – Cached – Similar
- Orissa Bigyan Academy
19 Sep 2011 ... Sciences from scientists, technologists and professionals to be published in the English magazine"SCIENCE HORIZON". The articles should be lucid ... Kamalakanta Jena. 39. 12. ... The author needs to be congratulated for ... orissabigyanacademy.nic.in/.../pdf/SH_September_2011.pdf – Cached – Similar
- Orissa Bigyan Academy 10 May 2011 ... Kamalakanta Jena. 19. 8. Nobel Laureate Subrahmanyam Chandra Sekhar. Bhagaban Patra. 23. 9. The Science of Genetics. Sushil Pradhan ...
www.orissabigyanacademy.nic.in/.../pdf/Science_Horizon_May_2011.pdf – Cached – Similar
- Orissa Bigyan Academy
4 Jan 2011 ... 5. Dwarf Planets. Kamalakanta Jena. 11 ..... Assuming 10 hours of daily use use of fluorescence ..... September 2007, NASA launched the Dawn space probe to ... www.orissabigyanacademy.nic.in/.../Science%20Vision%20January-2011.pdf – Cached – Similar
- Kamalakanta Jena | India Environment Portal5 Jan 2008 ... India Environment Portal by Centre for Science and Environment is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 India ...
www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/taxonomy/term/.../all?...2... – Cached – Similar
- Solar Cells | India Environment Portal14 Aug 2008 ... Skip to main content. India Environment Portal logo ... Author(s): Kamalakanta Jena. Source: Akshay Urja .... Inside Environment Portal ...
www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/category/thesaurus/solar-cells?... – Cached – Similar
- Statesman (India) article archives from August 2006, page 34 ...
... Kamalakanta Jena points to the problem plaguing Nasa space shuttles ON 1 February .... filed under the Right to Information Act by a Shillong daily on ... www.accessmylibrary.com/archive/.../august-2006-page34.html – Cached – Similar
- Tiles and foam that matter.5 August 2006... (From The Statesman (India)) From the ill-fated Columbia through to Discovery and the forthcoming Atlantis, Kamalakanta Jena points to the problem plaguing Nasa space shuttles ON 1 February 2003, Columbia exploded at an altitude of 63 km...
- Show Journals (Yojana, New Delhi)Bharatendu Harishchandra Awards 2010 ..., Human Right by Dr. Purushottam Biswal, Chemistry for Mankind by Kamala Kanta Jena, Role of Chemistry in day to ...
www.publicationsdivision.nic.in/j_show.asp?id=14 – Cached – Similar
- Rrrlf Books Selected For – Culture Department, Govt. of Orissa, India20 Oct 2010 ... TITLE PUBLISHER AUTHOR 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 AALAAP ANGYATA BASA .... 256 136 216 256 136 216 SCIENCE URBAN SCIENCE URBAN SCIENCE URBAN .... NITYANANDA SWAIN 753002 NEW HORIZON PUBLICATION, ... BINOD BIHARI, CUTTACK- KAMALAKANTA JENA 2 1ST 1ST 2007 2007 ...
www.scribd.com/doc/39751877/RRRLF – Cached – Similar
- Chemistry lecturer awarded – indiareport.com
Rourkela (Orissa), 21 Apr (PTI) Kamalakanta Jena, a chemistry lecturer of Sundargarh Government Women's college, was awarded Telengi Baja Samman 2009 for ... www.indiareport.com/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/805018/.../1 – Cached – Similar