Kamen Rider Kabuto (character)
Kamen Rider Kabuto (仮面ライダーカブト Kamen Raidā Kabuto?) is a fictional superhero who is the main protagonist and eponymous character of the 2006 Kamen Rider Series Kamen Rider Kabuto. His design is based on a "Kabutomushi" or Japanese rhinoceros beetle.
Souji Tendou (天道 総司 Tendō Sōji?, portrayed by Hiro Mizushima), the Zecter's wearer, is a mysterious, quiet 21-year old man who often seems to follow monk-like philosophies of peace. His name literally means "Path of Heaven" (天道 Tendō?), "Ruler of All" (総司 Sōji?)" and he always uses it to introduce himself ("Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule everything." (天の道を行き、総べてを司る男。 Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko.?)). Tendou often spouts amazingly appropriate zen-like phrases he supposedly learned from his grandmother, prefacing them with "Grandmother used to say..." (お母ちゃんが言っていた Obaachan ga Itteita?). He also often does a 'point to the sky' pose, usually after he defeats a Worm or introduces himself. Tendou has no actual job and does not attend college because he believes that he is destined for something bigger (which is becoming Kabuto). Despite having many talents (from cooking to hairstyling to excelling at various sports to the extent that he can handle entire teams alone), he is usually uninterested in pursuing anything until his belt activates. He calls himself a "National Treasure" and "Universal Treasure". Tendou stays in a big home with his little sister Juka (later revealed as his cousin sister), loves cooking, and seems to have an interest in Kagami's co-worker, Hiyori. As a result, he is a regular customer at Bistro La Salle. Because of his abilities and outlook, combined with his talent of being a step ahead of those around him, Tendou is somewhat rude, and exceedingly arrogant at first glance. However, this serious personality holds back the caring emotions he has for others.
His feelings for his two sisters are among the few things that can break his serious demeanor, as Hiyori Kusakabe is also Souji's little sister. However, Souji's parents were murdered and mimicked by Natives years before the Worms arrived on Earth, and although the original Hiyori Kusakabe died with them before birth she was soon "reborn" as a Native/Worm. However, deep down, Tendou actually cares for other people and helps them when in need (in fact, in Episode 20, he punched Tsurugi for not looking before crossing the street, as that caused an accident in which Juka got hurt). He possesses an uncanny ability to see through the Worms disguises as well as detect if there are any nearby without the use of any devices. Tendou acts mercilessly against Worms, saying that as long as they are Worms, they will be destroyed. It is not until episode 15, after defeating Kageyama and seeing him as unfit to be a leader, that he joins ZECT (under the comical pseudonym "Soujiro Tendouji"), even wearing a full Shadow ZECT Trooper uniform, though he quits by the end of episode 16 - his tenure with ZECT was merely a means of locating some Worms. Tendou possesses powerful strength and is stronger than any other Riders in every way, from searching for Worms to battling. Tendou's arrogant attitude and superior power usually results in great dislike from the other Riders, resulting in fighting between the Riders, although Kabuto almost always defeats them easily. During episode 24, Kabuto utilizes a partial Put-On after fighting Kamen Rider Sasword, with the end result being him as the victor.
Kamen Rider Kabuto
By placing the Kabuto Zecter into his Rider Belt, Souji Tendou transform into Kamen Rider Kabuto. As with all of the Zecters, Kabuto has two basic forms that he can transform into.
Kabuto's Masked Form (マスクドフォーム Masukudo Fōmu?) is a heavily armored form resembling a pupa with low offensive capabilities. This is the default form that Kabuto transforms into, until he used the Cast Off command. This primes the armor to "Cast Off," when fully activated, sends the armor flying off his form, destroying all lower Worms that get hit with the armor. Kabuto then immediately takes on the sleek Rider Form. It is shown to be possible for Masked Form to be bypassed altogether, as seen in the Hyper Battle Video and by the alternate version of Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto in Kamen Rider Decade, by flipping the horn immediately after placing the Kabuto Zecter on the belt before the armor materializes.
Kabuto's Rider Form (ライダーフォーム Raidā Fōmu?) is the sleeker and more offensive-based form which resembles more of a Japanese rhinoceros beetle which Kabuto is named and themed after. In this form, Kabuto has access to the Clock Up (クロックアップ Kurokku Appu?) command, enabling Kabuto to travel at near-light speeds to match the speeds of the Worms. By pressing the three buttons on the belt in succession, Kabuto can perform his tachyon-powered Rider Kick (ライダーキック Raidā Kikku?). Kabuto Rider Form has three variations of Rider Kick: normal 180 degree roundhouse kick, counter kick (360 degree roundhouse kick, which is used to surprise opponents who attempt to attack him from behind), and a flying side kick.
Kabuto is the only Rider in Kabuto (with the exception of Gatack in the Hyper Battle DVD with the aid of another Hyper Zecter from the future) that can achieve Hyper Form (ハイパーフォーム Haipā Fōmu?), an even stronger version of Rider Form. While Kamen Rider Caucasus used the Hyper Zecter, he was unable to access a Hyper Form. Accessed through the Hyper Zecter. The maximum range of this is currently unknown, but its shown to be able to travel back at least seven years. Kabuto is also able to take objects back in time along with him, (the most impressive example being a huge meteor in the movie). His finisher is the Flying Rider Kick Hyper Kick (ハイパーキック Haipā Kikku?). He is also equipped with a jetpack-like device on his back, allowing Kabuto flight capabilities, though usually it's only used to gain height for the Hyper Kick. But his alternate self from God Speed Love, used this device to fly through space, even pushing a meteor far larger than himself.
The Kabuto Zecter (カブトゼクター Kabuto Zekutā?) is Souji Tendou's personal Zecter that was created, along with its other Zecters, by the Natives 35 years prior to the events of the series. A mobile device that was modeled after the Japanese rhinoceros beetle. By placing the Kabuto Zecter onto the Rider Belt, Souji Tendou transforms into Kamen Rider Kabuto in Masked Form before he flips the "horn" on the Kabuto Zecter, like a switch, to initiate the Cast Off (キャストオフ Kyasuto Ofu?) command in order to assume the sleeker Rider Form.
The Rider Belt (ライダーベルト Raidā Beruto?) is a necessary piece of equipment for Kamen Rider Kabuto, it was picked up by Tendou seven years prior to the start of the series. In conjunction with the Kabuto Zecter, the Belt lets Souji Tendou transforms into Kamen Rider Kabuto. It contains a high-energy wave and radiates from time to time.
Kabuto Kunai Gun
The Kabuto Kunai Gun (カブトクナイガン Kabuto Kunai Gan?) is Kabuto's personal sidearm that has three modes to use the weapon in various forms.
- Gun Mode (ガンモード Gan Mōdo?), the default mode, fires high-intensity ion beam blasts and is equipped with tri-laser targeting called DAT Sight (ダットサイト Datto Saito?). Its finishing attack is an ionic energy blast called the Avalanche Shoot (アバランチシュート Abaranchi Shūto?).
- Ax Mode (アックスモード Akkusu Mōdo?) becomes active when the gun barrel is held, and is wielded by using the bladed butt of the weapon like a tomahawk. Its finishing attack is the Avalanche Break (アバランチブレイク Abaranchi Bureiku?).
- Kunai Mode (クナイモード Kunai Mōdo?) activates when the gun barrel is detached, unsheathing a short-dagger weapon good for its swift and easy handling; this is favored most when Kabuto switches to Rider Form. This mode's finishing attack is the Avalanche Smash (アパランチスラッシュ Abaranchi Smasshu?).
The ZECT Mizer (ゼクトマイザー Zekuto Maizā?) is a unique weapon specially developed by the ZECT organization for individual use among the Riders. This unique weapon loads tiny autonomous drones called Mizer Bomber (マイザーボマー Maizā Bomā?) which are released from the four shoots ports. Unique to the Zecters design, these Mizer Bombers independently swarm and attack enemy targets from all directions. However, these drones only have a limited operating radius of 15m.
The Hyper Zecter (ハイパーゼクター Haipā Zekutā?) is a futuristic Zecter made by ZECT and predestined to be used by Tendou. By pushing the horn of the Hyper Zecter, it initiates the Hyper Cast Off (ハイパーキャストオフ Haipā Kyasuto Ofu?) command, unleashing its full power. It also has access to Hyper Clock Up (ハイパークロックアップ Haipā Kurokku Appu?), a version of Clock Up, able to even time travel due to its hypersonic speed properties and the Maximum Rider Power by pushing the horn of the Hyper Zecter again to maximize the power of his finishing attack. The Hyper Zecter was almost destroyed by Masato Mishima using the bomb, but Tendou reverting the time then it was restored before he destroys it.
The Perfect Zecter (パーフェクトゼクター Pāfekuto Zekutā?) is Hyper Kabuto's signature weapon. This sword-like Zecter has two modes: Sword Mode (ソードモード Sōdo Mōdo?) and Gun Mode (ガンモード Gan Mōdo?). The Drake, TheBee and Sasword Zecters can be summoned by it and attach onto the weapon, either individually or all at once. Also, depending on the Zecter that is currently attached, the Perfect Zecter is capable of utilizing a hyper version of the Zecter's finishing attack in either Gun or Sword Mode (there are four attacks for both Gun and Sword Mode, as seen with the toy version of the Perfect Zecter. Yet only four of the eight attacks are depicted in the series (3 for Sword Mode and 1 for Gun Mode). Once a Zecter color is selected at the cross guard, the trigger is pulled to initiate the attack. By attaching all three Zecters, the "All Zecter Combine" command is activated, allowing the Maximum Hyper finisher. When Zecters attach onto the Perfect Zecter, they switch into Perfect Mode (パーフェクトモード Pāfekuto Mōdo?) which is denoted by the color change and position change. In the final episode, the Perfect Zecter was broken by the Gryllus Worm. The true origin of the Perfect Zecter remains a complete mystery.
- Sword Mode attacks
- Hyper Blade (ハイパーブレイド Haipā Bureido?): By activating Kabuto Power, the Perfect Zecter is powered into a tachyon-charged blade gradient that unleashes a powerful slash attack.
- Hyper Sting (ハイパースティング Haipā Sutingu?): By activating TheBee Power, the Perfect Zecter is powered into a tachyon-charged arrowhead gradient that can be thrusted like a projectile.
- Hyper Ax (ハイパーアックス Haipā Akkusu?): This attack was never used in the series, but is activated through Drake Power to chop down to the Worms in a manner not unlike Kintaros' standing Dynamic Chop.
- Hyper Slash (ハイパースラッシュ Haipā Surasshu?): By activating Sasword Power, the Perfect Zecter produces the Sasword Zecter's signature venom in an attack similar to the Rider Slash.
- Maximum Hyper Typhoon (マキシマムハイパータイフーン Makishimamu Haipā Taifūn?): After activating all of the Zecter Powers and announcing "All Zecter Combine", the Perfect Zecter releases energy in the form of a tachyon-charged rhinoceros beetle horn-shaped gradient, and is used in the form of a powerful slash attack.
- Gun Mode attacks
- Hyper Cannon (ハイパーキャノン Haipā Kyanon?): This attack was never used in the series, but is activated through Kabuto Power to blast the Worms.
- Hyper Laser (ハイパーレーザー Haipā Rēzā?): This attack was never used in the series, but is activated through TheBee Power to shoot the Worms with a laser beam.
- Hyper Shooting (ハイパーシューティング Haipā Shūtingu?): By activating Drake Power, the Perfect Zecter releases a tachyon-charged energy gradient that disperses into several homing laser shots.
- Hyper Wave (ハイパーウェイブ Haipā Weibu?): This attack was never used in the series, but is activated through Sasword Power to shoot the Worms with the sonicwave.
- Maximum Hyper Cyclone (マキシマムハイパーサイクロン Makishimamu Haipā Saikuron?): After activating all of the Zecter Powers and announcing "All Zecter Combine", the Perfect Zecter releases a vortex of tachyon-charged energy that is able to annihilate multiple enemies at once. However, the recoil is so powerful, he must access Hyper Clock Up to withstand it. But during this state, Hyper Clock Up only affects Kabuto.
The Kabuto Extender (カブトエクステンダー Kabuto Ekusutendā?) is a modified Honda CBR1000RR designed for Kabuto, capable of switching between two performance modes: the high-speed Masked Mode (マスクドモード Maskudo Mōdo?) and the offensively oriented Ex Mode (エクスモード Ekusu Mōdo?). Masked Mode is the Kabuto Extender's first formation and is most suited for Kabuto's Masked Form in every aspect, because of its highly-fortified defenses. After using "Cast-Off" (Kabuto cannot ride Ex Mode in Masked Form), the bike changes into Ex Mode. This form is used for frontal assaults and battering style attacks as the Ex Horn can easily destroy Pupa Worms. After the front fairing clears, the front wheel separates in two, allowing the front chassis to sink. The Clock Up system can further extend the abilities of this machine, allowing it to surpass basic gravitational laws.