Kamen Rider Meteor
Kamen Rider Meteor (仮面ライダーメテオ Kamen Raidā Meteo?) is a fictional character from the 2011-2012 Kamen Rider Series Kamen Rider Fourze. He makes his first appearance as a cameo in the film Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max, and later makes a full appearance in episode 16 of the television series.
Ryusei Sakuta (朔田 流星 Sakuta Ryūsei?, portrayed by Ryo Yoshizawa) was originally a student from Subaruboshi High School (昴星高校 Subaruboshi Kōkō?). Ryusei is a proficient martial artist, often yelling very much like the martial artist Bruce Lee did, right down to the trademark Howatchā (ホワッチャーッ?) when firing his punches or kicks. His fighting style is the Seishin Dairin Fist (星心大輪拳 Seishin Dairinken?, Star-Mind Large-Ring Fist)[Note 1] style, Jeet Kune Do. Ryusei's friend Jiro Iseki foolishly used a Zodiarts Switch, which self-destructed and rendered him in a coma afterwards. Ryusei never forgave himself for being unable to prevent his friend's injury and afterward vowed to never make friends. He receives the Meteor System equipment from the mysterious Tachibana and the mission to find the Aries Zodiarts soon after Jiro's hospitalization. One of the conditions of using the Meteor System imposed on Ryusei is to keep Kamen Rider Meteor's identity an absolute secret from everyone else, under the threat that he would no longer be able to fight as Kamen Rider Meteor should his identity be exposed.
Ryusei as Kamen Rider Meteor first appears in a post-credits scene of Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max, defeating the remaining members of Foundation X under Lem Kannagi while wondering if the Aries Zodiarts will be at Amanogawa High School. Once transferred to AGHS, his Kamen Rider alter ego had a rocky start with Kamen Rider Fourze. Ryusei sought to join the Kamen Rider Club in order to observe them for Tachibana. Initially, Ryusei acts timid and runs away in the face of danger in order to hide his true identity, a farce that led to Gentaro Kisaragi only letting Ryusei join the club after briefly expressing his true feelings. As a Kamen Rider Club member, Ryusei helped in assisting Kengo in the creation of several Astro Switches and the NS Magphone. However, Ryusei's act was seen through by Tomoko Nozama and Kijima, who learned of his identity as Kamen Rider Meteor. Though the Meteor System was shut down as a consequence, Ryusei is given a second chance and the Meteor Storm Switch. Though he intends to look for the escaped Kijima to settle things with him once and for all to keep his identity covered, he is unaware that Kijima is no longer a threat and told by Tachibana that his cover is now secured.
Eventually, learning that the Aries Zodiarts has been at Subaruboshi High the entire time, Ryusei loses his focus and his desire to save Jiro results with him protecting the Horoscopes member while nearly killing Gentaro with an one-inch punch to the chest. With his identity as Kamen Rider Meteor exposed as a result, the Aries Zodiarts honoring his promise to revive, Ryusei learns Jiro's condition is worsening and is guilt ridden of his actions. As a result, Ryusei nearly gets himself killed before Gentaro arrives and fully accepts him as his friend. After the Aries Zodirts is defeated, Ryusei is forgiven by the rest of Kamen Rider Club as they agree to help keep his identity secret. However, Ryusei later learns that Tachibana is Emoto, the Horoscopes' Virgo Zodiarts who has been secretly acting against his group. Though Emoto is killed off, he had set the M-BUS on automatic to Ryusei can transform freely. After Sagittarius Nova's defeat, Ryusei returns to Subaruboshi High.
Five years later, during the events of Movie War Ultimatium, Ryusei became an Interpol agent alongside Inga Blink, a fellow Seishin Dairin Fist he encountered while with the Kamen Rider Club. While on a mission, Ryusei learns of Gamou's former associate Banba and returns to Japan to enlist Gentaro's help. Though Banba is brought to justice, Ryusei learns of the Akumaizer trio and accompanies Gentaro and Nadeshiko to the past to help the Kamen Riders defeat the monsters.
Kamen Rider Meteor
Like Kamen Rider Fourze, Kamen Rider Meteor's abilities arise from Cosmic Energy (コズミックエナジー Kozumikku Enajī?). However, compared to Kamen Rider Fourze's arsenal, the Meteor System was not devised by Kengo's father and instead was built by Kuniteru Emoto. The energy for Ryusei to transform into Kamen Rider Meteor comes from the M-BUS satellite in orbit, with Ryusei needing Tachibana's approval to transform and may even shut it down while he is assuming his Rider form. After transforming into Kamen Rider Meteor, Ryusei says "Kamen Rider Meteor, I'll decide your fate!" (仮面ライダーメテオ、お前の運命は俺が決める! Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!?). Kamen Rider Meteor has two Limit Break finishing attacks on his own. The first is the spinning attack called the Meteor Tornado (メテオトルネード Meteo Torunēdo?) and the second is a Rider Kick called the Meteor Strike (メテオストライク Meteo Sutoraiku?). Kamen Rider Meteor's helmet is called the Starface (スターフェイス Sutāfeisu?).
- When using the Elek Switch, electrical currents flow through Kamen Rider Meteor's body, enabling him to control electricity. He can also perform a Limit Break attack that is a variation of the Meteor Strike Rider Kick.
- When using the N Magnet Switch, Kamen Rider Meteor becomes magnetic and is able to use the magnetic pull of his body and Kamen Rider Fourze Magnet States to perform the Rider Super Electromagnetic Strike (ライダー超電磁ストライク Raidā Chōdenji Sutoraiku?).
Kamen Rider Meteor Storm (仮面ライダーメテオストーム Kamen Raidā Meteo Sutōmu?) is Kamen Rider Meteor's blue and yellow powered-up form accessed by the Meteor Storm Switch. After changing into Kamen Rider Meteor Storm, Ryusei says "Kamen Rider Meteor Storm, my fate will deliver a storm!" (仮面ライダーメテオストーム、俺の運命は嵐を呼ぶぜ! Kamen Raidā Meteo Sutōmu, ore no sadame wa arashi o yobuze!?). Kamen Rider Meteor Storm's helmet is called the Starlight Face (スターライトフェイス Sutāraito Feisu?).
- When using the Fire Switch, fire envelops Kamen Rider Meteor Storm's body, enabling him to manipulate the fire at his whims. He can also perform a Limit Break attack that is a variation of the Meteor Tornado.
The Meteor Driver (メテオドライバー Meteo Doraibā?) is a belt that gives Ryusei the ability to become Kamen Rider Meteor, given to him by Tachibana. He transforms into Kamen Rider Meteor after the Meteor Switch is inserted into the Switch Socket (スイッチソケット Suitchi Soketto?), pulling the Waiting Trigger (ウェイティングトリガー Weitingu Torigā?) and pushing down the Enter Lever (エンターレバー Entā Rebā?), causing the celestial globe-like Celestial Drive Unit (セレスティアルドライブユニット Seresutiaru Doraibu Yunitto?) to spin while Ryusei is hit by Cosmic Energy from the M-BUS satellite. By activating the Meteor Switch and rotating the Celestial Drive Unit counterclockwise, Kamen Rider Meteor can perform a Limit Break (リミットブレイク Rimitto Bureiku?) finishing attack. Ryusei is able to cancel his transformation by pushing the Enter Lever twice in quick succession while the Meteor Switch is inserted.
Like Kamen Rider Fourze, Kamen Rider Meteor is powered by Astroswitches (アストロスイッチ Asutorosuitchi?). However, unlike the many Astroswitches used by Kamen Rider Fourze, Kamen Rider Meteor only utilizes a single Astroswitch to transform, initiate special attacks, and Limit Break finishing attacks. Kamen Rider Meteor can also use Kamen Rider Fourze's States Changing Circle Astroswitches.
- Meteor (メテオ Meteo?): The Meteor Switch allows Ryusei to transform into Kamen Rider Meteor. It can be used as a communication device to the M-BUS satellite to contact Tachibana if activated when not plugged into the Driver. Eventually, Tachibana reveals that it also serves as a monitoring device to keep tabs on Ryusei's actions.
- Elek (エレキ Ereki?): Kamen Rider Fourze's Elek Switch allows Kamen Rider Meteor's attacks to have an electric-element to them.
- Fire (ファイアー Faiā?): Kamen Rider Fourze's Fire Switch allows Kamen Rider Meteor's attacks to have a fire-element to them.
- N Magnet (Ｎマグネット Enu Magunetto?): Kamen Rider Fourze's N Magnet Switch allows Kamen Rider Meteor's attacks to have a north magnetic charge to them.
Meteor Storm Switch
The Meteor Storm Switch (メテオストームスイッチ Meteo Sutōmu Suitchi?) is a device that Tachibana creates to enable Kamen Rider Meteor to assume the Meteor Storm state, though he initially believes Ryusei is not ready to handle the power. After successfully rescuing the Kamen Rider Club from the Cancer Zodiarts instead of just going to reclaim the Meteor system's powers to fight the Cancer Zodiarts, Tachibana gives Ryusei the Switch to use. The Meteor Storm Switch has a top-like device attached to it called the Storm Topper (ストームトッパー Sutōmu Toppā?) which is used for the Limit Break attack.
The Meteor Galaxy (メテオギャラクシー Meteo Gyarakushī?) is a gauntlet on Kamen Rider Meteor's right arm that acts as his sole weapon. By pressing one of the three levers and then activating the Finger Mount Panel (フィンガーマウントパネル Fingā Maunto Paneru?), Kamen Rider Meteor can summon Cosmic Energy to harness the power of the planets. When the Meteor Switch is inserted into the Meteor Galaxy's Switch Socket, it initiates a Rider Punch Limit Break known as the Starlight Shower (スターライトシャワー Sutāraito Shawā?).
- By activating the Mars Lever (マーズレバー Māzu Rebā?), the Meteor Galaxy summons a projection of the planet Mars called the Mars Breaker (マーズブレイカー Māzu Bureikā?), the surface of which reaches temperatures of 800 °C (1,470 °F).
- By activating the Jupiter Lever (ジュピターレバー Jupitā Rebā?), the Meteor Galaxy summons a projection of the planet Jupiter called the Jupiter Hammer (ジュピターハンマー Jupitā Hanma?), arming Kamen Rider Meteor with the sheer strength and power of the largest planet to execute a powerful punch attack.
- By activating the Saturn Lever (サターンレバー Satān Rebā?), the Meteor Galaxy summons a projection of the planet Saturn called the Saturn Sorcery (サターンソーサリー Satān Sōsarī?), enabling Kamen Rider Meteor to send out projectile energy rings.
Meteor Storm Shaft
The Meteor Storm Shaft (メテオストームシャフト Meteo Sutōmu Shafuto?) is Kamen Rider Meteor Storm's gun staff-like weapon of choice. When the Meteor Storm Switch is inserted in the Meteor Storm Shaft, it initiates the Limit Break finishing attack called the Meteor Storm Punisher (メテオストームパニッシャー Meteo Sutōmu Panisshā?), which launches the Storm Topper on the Meteor Storm Switch, absorbing some of a Zodiarts's Cosmic Energy with each strike and increasing its attack strength each time.
The Machine Meteorstar (マシンメテオスター Mashin Meteosutā?) is Kamen Rider Meteor's personal Honda XR250R motorcycle, designed after an artificial satellite. Though incapable of flight in any sense, it is lighter and faster than Kamen Rider Fourze's Massigler and capable of shooting Cosmic Energy beams. Its official designation is MBM3000X.
The M-BUS (エムバス Emubasu?, Meteor-BackUp Satellite) is a satellite that serves as the base of operations for the Anti-Zodiarts Union and is the source of Kamen Rider Meteor's power. When it transforms into Exposure Mode (照射モード Shōsha Mōdo?), it is able to transfer Cosmic Energy to Kamen Rider Meteor to power his transformation and attacks. Tachibana had, before his death, full control of the station, which in extension, had full control over Kamen Rider Meteor's powers, allowing him to activate or shut down the system as he sees fit. The transformation-control system corresponding to Kamen Rider Meteor can be set to auto and the satellite itself was capable of responding to vocal commands of Tachibana. The Exposure Mode is later revealed to be able to be used as a weapon, by shooting beams of pure Cosmic Energy at ground targets with surprising accuracy.
- Tokusatsu Newtype, January 2012
- Television (テレビジョン Terebijon?), January 2012
- Uchusen, Vol. 135
- "TV Asahi's page on Kamen Rider Meteor". Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Starface". Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- "TV Asahi's page on Kamen Rider Meteor Storm". Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Starlight Face". Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Meteor Driver". Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Meteor Galaxy". Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Meteor Storm Shaft". Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "TV Asahi's page on the Machine Meteorstar". Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- "TV Asahi's page on M-BUS". Retrieved 2012-01-08.