Kamen Rider V3
|Kamen Rider V3|
|Created by||Shotaro Ishinomori|
|Narrated by||Shinji Nakae|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||52|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original channel||TV Asahi|
|Original run||February 17, 1973 – February 9, 1974|
|Preceded by||Kamen Rider|
|Followed by||Kamen Rider X|
Kamen Rider V3 (仮面ライダーV3 Kamen Raidā Buisurī?, Masked Rider V3) is a Japanese tokusatsu television series. It is the second installment in the popular Kamen Rider Series, and the direct sequel to the original Kamen Rider. It was a joint collaboration between Ishimori Productions and Toei, and was shown on NET from February 17, 1973, to February 9, 1974, with a total of 52 episodes.
Every episode of Kamen Rider V3 begins with a statement: "Kamen Rider V3, Shiro Kazami, is an altered human. Mortally wounded by Destron, he is rebuilt by Kamen Riders 1 and 2, reborn as Kamen Rider V3"
Shiro Kazami accidentally witnesses a murder by the evil organization Destron, making him their next target. In their first attempt, they planted a bomb pebble into his coffee, but the attempt was foiled when Shiro's sister, Yukiko, surprised him, causing him to spill his coffee. In their second attempt, they attacked him while practicing motorcycle racing with Tobei Tachibana. In their third attempt, a Destron soldier, disguised as a doctor, tried to put a poison shot in Shiro, while he was being transported to the hospital (after Destron's second attempt), but Shirou regains consciousness and kills the soldier. Meanwhile, a young woman named Junko Tama stumbled upon Destron's base. Suddenly, she was attacked by Destron. While trying to escape, she ran into Shiro, who was heading home on his motorcycle, but Shiro didn't see the Destron soldiers. Surprised, Junko fainted and Shirou took her home. While Junko was being taken care of by Shirou's family, Shiro reported her story to the police. When he returned home, he found his family being murdered by the Hasami Jaguar, a jaguar monster with blades for hands. Hasami Jaguar then prepares to kill Junko and Shirou, but is stopped by Shiro's high school teacher, Takeshi Hongo, who transformed into Kamen Rider 1. Shortly after he drove off the Destron forces, Kamen Rider 2 shows up, but too late. A vengeance-fueled Shiro asked the Riders to turn him into a cyborg, but the Riders refused, explaining to Shiro what would happen if he did get turned into a cyborg: he wouldn't be able to live up to his family. Then the Riders asked Junko for the location of the Destron base she stumbled upon earlier. The next day, the Riders infiltrate the base, only to find no one inside until they heard the voice of their old foe The Great Leader Of Gel-Shocker who revealed that the Gel Shocker Leader was just one of his forms. To make matters worse he attempted to kill the Double Riders with the Cyborg Disruptor Ray, Until Shirou shows up and saves their lives, but gets injured in the process. The Riders had no choice but to turn Shiro into a cyborg. When the Riders were attacked, and almost killed, by Kame Bazooka, Shiro shows up as Kamen Rider V3. Now, Shiro uses his new power to protect mankind against Destron.
Shiro Kazami and Allies
- Shiro Kazami/Kamen Rider V3 (風見 志郎／仮面ライダーV3 Kazami Shirō/Kamen Raidā Buisurī?) ("V3" or "Rider V3", for short) is a cyborg who fights Destron. When he encounters a Destron monster, he intones, Henshin... V3!, and transforms into Kamen Rider V3. He is host to 26 special powers that he uses to fight Destron; V3 does not know what all of his special powers are, but most of them are revealed during the course of the series. Among his powers are Bulletproof Muscles, the V3 Hopper (a device that allows him to track enemies) and the V3 Reverse Kick. Others, including the V3 Thunder (one of his most powerful), were revealed in stage shows, manga and magazines of the time. His nuclear-powered motorcycle is named "Hurricane"; it also has a variety of special abilities.
- Tōbei Tachibana (立花 藤兵衛 Tachibana Tōbei?): Shirou's mentor and advisor. This character appeared in the original Kamen Rider series and also appeared in later Kamen Rider series.
- Junko Tama (珠 純子 Tama Junko?): A young woman who has a crush on Shirou. Shirou is aware of her crush, but refuses to let her get close to him, to protect her, because he lives such a dangerous life. Despite this, she assists Shiro, often watching the communications station, and eventually becomes a close friend to Shirou. She often enters into dangerous situations, requiring V3 to rescue her.
- Shigeru Tama (珠 シゲル Tama Shigeru?): Junko's kid brother and a member of the Boys' Kamen Rider Squad. He sometimes acts as Shiro's liaison with the Shonen Rider Scouts.
- Jōji Yūki/Riderman (結城 丈二／ライダーマン Yūki Jōji/Raidāman?): A Destron scientist who is betrayed by Marshal Armor. His arm is destroyed and replaced by a special mechanical arm, which gives him special powers. Initially, he distrusts V3, but eventually becomes an ally. V3 declares him to be "Kamen Rider No. 4" in tribute, after sacrificing his life to protect Tokyo from destruction. Riderman appears in some of the sequels. How he survived is not fully explained in the TV show, but it is explained in detail in the Kamen Rider Spirits manga.
- The Boys' Kamen Rider Squad (少年仮面ライダー隊 Shōnen Kamen Raidā Tai?): Also known as The Kamen Rider Scouts. They are young boys who assist Kamen Rider V3. They have members throughout Japan. They wear medallions which are shaped like the head of Kamen Rider V3. The medallions contain radios which allows them to report suspicious activity to Kamen Rider headquarters.
- Ken Sakuma (佐久間 ケン Sakuma Ken?): A Destron Hunter, from Interpol, who helps V3 for a few episodes. He is Destron Hunter no. 5, and is the last surviving Destron hunter.
Destron (デストロン Desutoron?) is an international organization bent on conquering the world with terrorist acts, Destron was formed under the Lead of the mysterious Great Leader by surviving members of Gel-Shocker. Although Destron had branches in every country and sought to dominate the entire planet, its main headquarters was in Japan which Destron focused it attention on. Initially the kaijin of the Mechanical Army followed the orders of the unseen High Destron without any direct supervision, but after repeated failures of the kaijin High Destron summoned Doctor G from Destron's German Division to take charge of the day to day operations of Destron's Japanese Division. It should be noted that Destron used the scorpion as its symbol it had no scorpion monsters. Destron is the only Showa villainous organization in the franchise appearred in the movie OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders although several of its kaijin make appearances; this is most likely due to the organization being formed from Shocker remnants, therefore making its construction unnecessary. Their name is also reused as the Japanese name of the Decepticon faction from the Transformers franchise.
- Great Leader of Destron (デストロン首領 Desutoron Shuryō?) (Except for the last few episodes, he was not seen. Only his voice was heard) - Another form of Great Leader of Shocker from the original series, originally thought to have died in a failed kamikaze attack against Kamen Rider 1 and 2. In the earliest episodes he led directly; later he let one of his generals lead for him. His cyborgs are patterned after a combination of a manmade object and an animal (such as Camera Mosquito or Bazooka Turtle). In the last few episodes, he appeared in person for brief periods of time, but he wore a robe with a hood which hid all of his features. When his robe was pulled, a man with his head covered by white bandages and a smiling mask was revealed, but he quickly escaped. In the final episode, he was revealed to be a monstrous skeleton with a living heart, calling himself God of Death. V3 destroyed the monster's heart, apparently killing him, just to hear his voice again, from a tape player inside the skeleton's head. He congratulates V3 for finding his true form, but reveals that V3 would die alongside himself. Immediately afterwards, the Destron headquarters self-destructed, but V3 escaped.
- Doktor G (ドクトルG Dokutoru Gē?, 13-30) / Kani Laser (カニレーザー Kani Rēzā?, 30) - Destron's first general in a knight armor from Germany in charge of Japan. He wields a battle axe, a short sword, and a knife. In the comics, his scorpion-shaped helmet could transform into a deadly scorpion, but this didn't happen on TV. Most of his monsters are cyborgs that are the same type as Destron Leader's cyborgs. Pronounced his enemy's name "Kamen Raaaaida V3!". After numerous failures, Doktor G summoned the spirits of his dead, evil warriors to transform him into Kani Laser for his final battle with Kamen Rider V3. Despite putting up a heroic battle, he was destroyed by V3's V3 Tailspin Return Kick.
- Baron Kiba (キバ男爵 Kiba Danshaku?, 31-35) / Vampiric Mammoth (吸血マンモス Kyūketsu Manmosu?, 35) - The leopard-skin wearing witch doctor from Africa, second general of Destron, and leader of the Fang Clan. He wields a spear which could fire explosion charges. His powers are magical in origin. The monsters in his Fang Tribe are mutated forms of wild animals with fangs or tusks that are empowered through blood sacrifices of innocent victims by Baron Kiba. After his Fang Tribe was wiped out by Kamen Rider V3, Baron Fang later called on the spirits of Doovoo to give him the power to transform into the Vampiric Mammoth so that he could take revenge on V3 in his final battle. He was destroyed by V3's V3 Revolving Triple Kick.
- Archbishop Tsubasa (ツバサ大僧正 Tsubasa Dai Sōjō?, 36-40) / Zombie Bat (死人コウモリ Shibito Kōmori?, 40, 52) - The robe-wearing general from Tibet. The monsters in his Wing Unit are all mutated versions of flying animals with the exception of one plant monster. He wields a bird-headed spiked staff. Archbishop Tsubasa later takes on his true form called Zombie Bat in his final battle with Kamen Rider V3. He was destroyed by V3's V3 Mach Kick. Marshal Yoroi later revived Archbishop Tsubasa's Zombie Bat form in order to ambush Kamen Rider V3. He was defeated by V3 with several punches.
- Marshal Yoroi (ヨロイ元帥 Yoroi Gensui?, 41-52) / Zariganna (ザリガーナ Zarigāna?, 51-52) - Destron's final general in plated armor who comes from Mongolia. Most of his monsters in his Armored Division are mutated versions of armored animals. He wields an oversized spiked mace in one hand and practices dark magic. Pronounces Destron as "Deeestron". He frames scientist Joji Yuki for treason, fearing his position in Destron is in jeopardy, creating a rival in Riderman. Marshal Yoroi became Zariganna in his final battle against Kamen Rider V3. After being defeated by Kamen Rider V3 and despite surviving the encounter, Zariganna was destroyed by the Great Leader of Destron for failing. In Kamen Rider Spirits, he's restored in a new Crab Inhumanoid body and seeks to eliminate his former rival Riderman. He was ultimately destroyed by Riderman's Machine Gun Arm.
Special guest stars
- Kamen Rider 1/Takeshi Hongō from Kamen Rider
- Kamen Rider 2/Hayato Ichimonji from Kamen Rider
- Colonel Zol from Kamen Rider
- Doctor Shinigami from Kamen Rider
- Ambassador Hell from Kamen Rider
- General Black from Kamen Rider
- Rider No. 3: His Name is V3! (ライダー３号 その名はV3！ Raidā Sangō Sono Na wa Buisurī!?)
- Last Testament of the Double Riders (ダブルライダーの遺言状 Daburu Raidā no Yuigonjō?)
- The Execution of V3 (死刑台のV3 Shikeidai no Buisurī?)
- V3's 26 Secrets!? (V3の２６の秘密！？ Buisurī no Nijūroku no Himitsu!??)
- Snake-Man With a Machinegun! (機関銃を持ったヘビ人間！ Kikanjū o Motta Hebi Ningen!?)
- Enter, Hammer-Jellyfish! V3 Unleash Your Killing Technique!! (ハンマークラゲ出現! 放てV3の必殺わざ！！ Hanmā Kurage Shutsugen! Hanate Buisurī no Hissatsu-waza!!?)
- The Fury of Rider V3's Special Training (ライダーV3 怒りの特訓 Raidā Buisurī Ikari no Tokkun?)
- Watch Out, V3! Beware the Terrifying Buzzsaw (危うしV3！迫る電気ノコギリの恐怖 Ayaushi Buisurī! Semaru Denki Nokogiri no Kyōfu?)
- What is the Destron Hell Squad!? (デストロン、地獄部隊とは何か！？ Desutoron, Jigoku Butai to wa Nani ka!??)
- Secret of the Double Typhoon (ダブルタイフーンの秘密 Daburu Taifūn no Himitsu?)
- The Claws of Evil Reach Out for V3!! (悪魔の爪がV3をねらう！！ Akuma no Tsume ga Buisurī o Nerau!?)
- Junko Becomes a Mutant's Bride?! (純子が怪人の花嫁に！？ Junko ga Kaijin no Hanayome ni!??)
- Terrifying Commandant: Doktor G!! (恐怖の大幹部ドクトル・ゲー！ Kyōfu no Daikanbu Dokutoru Gē!?)
- Secret Memento of the Double Riders (ダブルライダー秘密のかたみ Daburu Raidā Himitsu no Katami?)
- Rider V3's Deadly Weakness!! (ライダーV3 死の弱点！！ Raidā Buisurī Shi no Jakuten!!?)
- The Missile-Carrying Gecko Mutant! (ミサイルを背負ったヤモリ怪人！ Misairu o Seotta Yamori Kaijin!?)
- The Devilspray is the Reaper's Weapon (デビルスプレーは死神の武器 Debiru Supurē wa Shinigami no Buki?)
- V3, Beware the Evil Traitor! (悪魔の裏切り あやうしV3！ Akuma no Uragiri Ayaushi Buisurī!?)
- Blowfish-Apache's Operation: Torpedo!! (ハリフグアパッチの魚雷作戦！！ Harifugu Apatchi no Gyorai Sakusen!!?)
- Operation: Destron Shikoku Conquest (デストロン四国占領作戦 Desutoron Shikoku Senryō Sakusen?)
- The Double Riders Live (生きていたダブルライダー Ikiteita Daburu Raidā?)
- Camp of Terror: Mystery of the Underground Canal (恐怖のキャンプ！地底運河のなぞ! Kyōfu no Kyanpu! Chitei Unga no Nazo!?)
- Terror! Vampire From the Graveyard (怪奇！墓場から来た吸血男 Kaiki! Hakaba Kara Kita Kyūketsu Otoko?)
- Mysterious! Cockroach Manor!! (怪奇！ゴキブリ屋敷！！ Kaiki! Gokiburi Yashiki!!?)
- Mysterious!! The Destron Ranger Corps (怪奇！！デストロン、レインジャー部隊 Kaiki!! Desutoron, Reinjā Butai?)
- Mutant Heater-Cicada's Operation: Mummy!! (怪人ヒーターゼミのミイラ作戦 Kaijin Hītā Zemi no Miira Sakusen?)
- Zol, Death, Hell & Black Rise from the Grave (生きかえったゾル・死神・地獄・ブラック Ikikaetta Zoru - Shinigami - Jigoku - Burakku?)
- The Five Commandants' All-Out Attack!! (五大幹部の総攻撃！ Go Daikanbu no Sōkōgeki!?)
- Doktor G's Final Challenge! (ドクトル・ゲー最後の挑戦！ Dokutoru Gē Saigo no Chōsen!?)
- Doktor G! The True Form of Evil is...? (ドクトル・ゲー！悪魔の正体は？ Dokutoru Gē! Akuma no Shōtai wa??)
- Enter, Baron Tusk: Commandant of Curses!! (呪いの大幹部キバ男爵出現！！ Noroi no Daikanbu Kiba-danshaku Shutsugen!!?)
- Spectre of Onibi Swamp: Rider Scouts Annihilated!? (鬼火沼の怪 ライダー隊全滅！？ Onibi Numa no Kai Raidā Tai Zenmetsu!??)
- V3 in Danger! Riders One and Two Return!! (V3危うし！帰ってきたライダー１号、２号！！ Buisurī Ayaushi! Kaetekita Raidā Ichigō, Nigō!!?)
- Critical Moment! Baron Tusk vs. The Three Riders!! (危機一髪！キバ男爵対三人ライダー！！ Kikiippatsu! Kiba-danshaku Tai Sannin Raidā!!?)
- Baron Tusk's Final Transformation (キバ男爵最後の変身 Kiba-danshaku Saigo no Henshin?)
- The Winged Corps: Demons of the Sky (空の魔神 ツバサ軍団 Sora no Majin Tsubasa Gundan?)
- Mysterious Temple: Curse of the Musasabi Clan! (怪しの寺 ムササビ族の呪い！ Ayashi no Tera Musasabi Zoku no Noroi!?)
- Lone V3 and Cub: Deadly Skydiving! (子連れV3 死のスカイダイビング Kotsure Buisurī Shi no Sukaidaibingu?)
- Terror of the Carnivorous Fauna: Plantaingan!! (人喰い植物 バショウガンの恐怖！！ Hitokui Shokubutsu Bashōgan no Kyōfu!!?)
- Sudden Death! V3 Mach Kick!! (必殺！V3マッハキック！！ Hissatsu! Buisurī Mahha Kikku!!?)
- Oh! People Are Melting! Enter, Marshal Armor (あッ！人間が溶ける！ヨロイ元帥登場 Ā! Ningen ga Tokeru! Yoroi-gensui Tōjō?)
- The Snail-Man's Human Experiments! (カタツムリ人間の人体実験！ Katatsumari Ningen no Jintaijikken!?)
- Friend of Foe? The Mysterious Riderman (敵か味方か？謎のライダーマン Teki ka Mikata ka? Nazo no Raidāman?)
- V3 Versus Riderman (V3対ライダーマン Buisurī Tai Raidāman?)
- Destron's Christmas Present (デストロンのＸマスプレゼント Desutoron no Ekkusumasu Purezento?)
- Riderman, Where Will You Go? (ライダーマンよどこへゆく？ Raidāman yo Doko e Yuku??)
- Ambush! The Destron Leader!! (待ち伏せ！デストロン首領！！ Machibuse! Desutoron Shuryō!!?)
- Look! The Face of the Destron Leader!! (見た！デストロン首領の顔！！ Mita! Desutoron Shuryō no Kao!!?)
- A Gunshot Rings Out! Shiro Kazami Falls!! (銃声一発！風見志郎倒る！！ Jūsei Ippatsu! Kazami Shirō Taoru!!?)
- A Little Friendship (小さな友情 Chiisa na Yūjō?)
- You are Kamen Rider 4!! (ライダー四号は君だ！！ Raidā Yongō wa Kimi da!!?)
- The Last Day of Destron (デストロン最後の日 Desutoron Saigo no Hi?)
- 1973: Kamen Rider V3: Movie version for episode 2.
During a battle against Destron's forces, Shiro Kazami helps a priest who has been attacked by the evil organization's kaijin Hasami-Jaguar. Little does he know that the church where the priest resides is a front for a Destron hideout. After finding out the organization's latest motive, Kamen Rider V3, along with the Double Riders, must stop Destron from detonating a nuclear bomb in Tokyo.
- 1973: Kamen Rider V3 vs. Destron Mutants
A physicist named Tetsuo Okita discovers a new mineral called "Satanium," which is more powerful than uranium and emits destructive effects to anyone exposed to it. However, Destron abducts Okita in hopes of finding the source of Satanium and collecting more of it to expedite their run for global domination. Kamen Rider V3 must act fast in rescuing Professor Okita and preventing Destron from collecting more of the deadly mineral.
S.I.C. Hero Saga
Published in Monthly Hobby Japan magazine from May to August 2003, the S.I.C. Hero Saga story Masked Rider V3 & Riderman: Riderman Another After featured an alternate history of Riderman's creation. It featured the new character called the Destron Rider (デストロンライダー Desutoron Raidā?).
- Chapter titles
- God Station (神ステーション Kami Sutēshon?)
- Attachment (アタッチメント Atatchimento?)
- Destron Rider (デストロンライダー Desutoron Raidā?)
- Jōji Yūki (結城丈二 Yūki Jōji?)
A manga adaptation was made by Mitsuru Sugaya during the run of the series.
Kamen Rider The Next
- Hiroshi Miyauchi as Shiro Kazami
- Akiji Kobayashi as Tōbei Tachibana
- Hizuru Ono as Junko Tama
- Hideki Kawaguchi as Shigeru Tama
- Takehisa Yamaguchi (Played as Satoru Yamaguchi (山口 暁 Yamaguchi Satoru?)) as Joji Yuki
- Jōtarō Senba as Doktor G
- Eiji Gō as Baron Kiba
- Sachio Fujino as Archbishop Tsubasa
- Bunya Nakamura as Marshal Yoroi
- Ken Kawashima as Ken Sakuma
- Gorō Naya as The Great Leader of Destron (voice)
- Shinji Nakae as Narrator
- Opening theme
- "Tatakae! Kamen Rider V3" (斗え！仮面ライダーV3 Tatakae! Kamen Raidā Bui Surī?, "Fight! Kamen Rider V3")
- Ending themes
- "Shōnen Kamen Rider Tai no Uta" (少年仮面ライダー隊の歌 Shōnen Kamen Raidā Tai no Uta?, "Song of the Kamen Rider Boys Squad")
- "Hashire Hurricane" (走れハリケーン Hashire Harikēn?, "Run, Hurricane")