Kamen Rider V3 (character)
Kamen Rider V3 (仮面ライダーV3 Kamen Raidā Buisurī?) is a fictional character from the Japanese tokusatsu television series Kamen Rider V3, the second in the famous Kamen Rider franchise of tokusatsu programs. The primary protagonist of the series, Kamen Rider V3 is a motorcycle-riding superhero modeled upon a dragonfly and armed with a variety of powers. His name is an abbreviation for "Version Three" as he is the third Kamen Rider. In the original series, he was portrayed by Hiroshi Miyauchi. In the movie Kamen Rider The Next, V3 is portrayed by Kazuki Kato. V3 is voiced by Hirofumi Tanaka in most of his modern appearances, including Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max and Kamen Rider × Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen.
The meaning for Kamen Rider V3's name was never clearly depicted in the series. The first meaning suggested it was a pun because both 1 and 2 used their powers to energize V3's belt during Shiro Kazami's surgery, specifically 1's skills and 2's strength, making him more powerful than its predecessors. However, in the 2007 remake movie Kamen Rider The Next, V3's belt explains it stands for "Version 3" Kamen Rider.
Shiro Kazami (風見 志郎 Kazami Shirō?), born 5 May 1950, was a 22-year-old college student at Jōnan University with a major in biochemistry. But by chance, he accidentally witnessed the brutal murder of a road worker by a member of the secret terrorist society known only as Destron, which appeared after the destruction of Gelshocker and continues its predecessor's goal of world domination. To rid Destron of its witness, and taking no chances, they sent Scissors Jaguar to murder the entire Kazami family. Though he was forced to watch his family die before his eyes, Shiro was saved from the same grisly fate by the interference of Kamen Riders #1 and #2.
Fictional character biography
Bent on revenge for his family's deaths, Shiro pleads with the Kamen Riders to make him into a cyborg just like them. The two Kamen Riders refuse at first, but after Shiro is mortally wounded while saving them, the two had no choice but to respect his wishes. As the Double Riders performed the operation, the Destron outpost is attacked and destroyed by Turtle Bazooka. The Double Riders were at a major disadvantage until Shiro joined the battle, now known as Kamen Rider V3. V3 went on to destroy his family's murderer while the Double Riders fought Bazooka Turtle, who now had a nuclear bomb in his body with intentions to destroy Tokyo. The Double Riders, feeling that Kazami is a worthy successor, take Turtle Bazooka away from the city just before the bomb explodes, leaving V3 to protect Japan on his own.
Across the series, Shiro battled Destron's cyborg monsters, eventually uncovering his newfound abilities while battling the likes of Doktor G, Baron Fang, and Archbishop Wing. When faced with Destron's strongest general, Marshal Armor, V3 was joined in his battle by ex-Destron scientist Jōji Yūki/Riderman and the Double Riders. Eventually, V3 defeated the Destron Leader and departs on his motorcycle to parts unknown.
V3 would make appearances in most succeeding Kamen Rider TV series, last seen in the final episodes of Kamen Rider Black RX.
Kamen Rider: Seigi No keifu
V3 stars as the hero of the 1973 timeline in this crossover game and one of the game's main characters. In the game's storyline, Riderman's former teacher has become involved within a plot to utilize the powers of an unknown alien being discovered by Shocker years ago. Eventually with Riderman's help, he is able to travel to 1988, along with Kamen Rider 1 and Kamen Rider Agito to join Kamen Rider Black for the final battle. Hiroshi Miyauchi returns to voice V3. Although Riderman is present, he is a non-playable character.
In the movie Kamen Rider The Next, Kazami is rewritten the former president of the rising IT enterprise ExaStream, being among those in the building to be infected by the nanobots designed by Shocker to turn any infected person into a cyborg. Being one of the two surviving members, Kazami is enticed by the promise of power, code named Hopper Version 3. Unlike Riders #1 and #2, V3's body was modeled around using the nano-technology that grants greater abilities that far surpass the original Hopper design. Eventually, Shiro becomes so deeply corrupted by his new power to the point he has forgotten Chiharu. He encounters Takeshi Hongo when he and his student Kotomi Kikuma were investigating the disappearance of Chiharu, learning of his ties to Shocker after revealing the horrible events relating to his sister.
Though at a ceasefire, Kazami realizes that Chiharu was also exposed to the nanobots as she left ExaStream and suffered intense dibilitating side effects that lead to her supposed suicide, with her "ghost" murdering everyone who hears her final song "Plantium Smile" along with those trying to cover up her death. Deciding to honor his sister's wish for her fate not to be anyone else's, Kazami joins the Riders as V3 to stop Shocker's plans of remodeling all of Japan using nanomachines. But once he destroys the nanobots, Kazami encounters his sister Chiharu, who through a combination of the nanomachines and the severe damage from her attempted suicide had mutated into a horrific monster. Ultimately, as the process she underwent is irreversible, he has no choice but to free her from her pain, using his V3 Punch to end her life. Soon after, Shiro decides to start his life fresh like Hongo has.
Kamen Rider V3's 26 Secrets
At V3's disposal are 26 techniques and weapons that were designed to aid V3 in a variation of ways from enhancing his abilities to destroying certain enemies.
- Double Typhoon (ダブルタイフーン Daburu Taifūn?): Kamen Rider V3's first and foremost weapon - the Henshin belt "Double Typhoon". Shiro Kazami transforms into V3 by performing the "Henshin", a series of moves which activates the 2 revolving pistons of the Double Typhoon, and then converts the accumulated wind energy to transform Kazami into Kamen Rider V3. Kamen Rider V3 is powered by the right "Kamen Rider No.1 Typhoon" and the left "Kamen Rider No.2 Typhoon". This allows V3 to utilize both the "Skill" of No.1 and the "Strength" of No.2
- Super Sensative Antenna (超触覚アンテナ Chō Shokkaku Antena?): The communication device between Kamen Rider V3 and the Double Riders. It can be used to communicate with the Shonen Rider Squad Headquarters and the scouts' individual Pendants.
- V3 Hopper (V3ホッパー Bui Surī Hoppā?): A surveillance advancement built into V3 by the Double Riders. Residing in a holster on the left side of V3's Henshin Belt, this mini transmission satellite is rocket-propelled vertically into the air to allow V3 an extensive view of the surrounding terrains, or to track fleeing enemies. The images captured by the V3 Hopper are directed to V3's Matrix Eye.
- Rider Centrifugal Kick (ライダー遠心キック Raidā Enshin Kikku?): Spinning in mid-air, it allows the kick to generate massive centrifugal power.
- Special Hardened Muscles: (特殊強化筋肉 Tokushu Kyōka Kinniku?): By calling upon the power of Double Typhoon, Special Hardened Muscles form a powerful resistance.
- Screw Kick (スクリュー・キック Sukuryū Kikku?): A special technique that allows a devastating mid-air spinning kick to be dealt to an enemy's body.
- Special Spring Muscles (特殊スプリング筋肉 Tokushu Supuringu Kinniku?): The spring muscles can withstand up to 10 times the force put against them.
- V3 Drill Attack (V3ドリルアタック Bui Surī Doriru Atakku?): The counter-spinning attack used against opponent.
- O Signal (Oシグナル Ō Shigunaru?): A device which records and analysis enemies' attacks and weapons. The result: V3 learns from his battles and does not lose to a repeated attack/weapon.
- Red Lamp Power (レッドランプパワー Reddo Ranpu Pawā?): Draws in an outside energy directed at V3, and doubles it in return.
- V3 Barrier (V3バリヤー Bui Surī Bariyā?): 1,000,000 volts of electricity are run throughout the surface as an effective deflector.
- V3 Return Kick (V3反転キック Bui Surī Hanten Kikku?): Kamen Rider V3's signature move. It allows a repeat kick, via springing off the monster, to the exact point of first
- Reverse Double Typhoon (逆ダブルタイフーン Gyaku Daburu Taifūn?) It expels the energy stored in the belt, causing a power concussion to the target. After performing the Reverse Double Typhoon, Kazami can only re-transform to V3 after a three-hour period.
- Red Bone Power (レッドボーンパワー Reddo Bōn Pawā?): It concentrates all of V3's energy into the center vertical thorax, or "Red Bone", and then expel all the energy at once.
- Cross Hand (クロスハンド Kurossu Hando?): A cellular strength device that causes the fusing of metal blades which come into contact with V3's body; best utilized through the crossing of hands, in order to block and damage metal weapons.
- Oxygen Cylinders (空気ボンベ Kūki Bonbe?): It stores 3 hours of oxygen for marine battle.
- V3 Double Attack (V3ダブルアタック Bui Surī Daburu Atakku?): V3 executes the V3 Kick after throwing an enemy into mid-air.
- Energy Converter (エナージ・コンバータ Enāji Conbāta?): Located in a circuit box on the right of V3's Henshin Belt. It allows channeling or conversion of internal or external power sources - such as the Double Riders' pendant.
- Propeller Chop: (プロペラ・チョップ Propera Choppu?): Its special muscles allows arms to spin as a propeller, to deliver powerful blows.
- Electro Eyes (エレクトロアイ Erekutoro Ai?): It can trace the undetectable footprints of kaijin.
- Matrix Eye (マトリックスアイ Matorikksu Ai?): The X-rays can penetrate a mutant's body to locate its weak point.
- Freezer Shot (フリーザー・ショット Furīzā Shotto?): It pulls full internal power to focus a sub-zero effect on an opponent or object, shot from the antennae.
- Gliding Muffler (グライディングマフラー Guraidingu Mafurā?): The mufflers on the back assists in guiding V3 while flying, or gliding to earth.
- V3 Thunder (V3サンダー Bui Surī Sandā?): A 1,000,000-volt electrical charge fired from V3's antennae.
- Red Bone Ring (レッドボーンリング Reddo Bōn Ringu?): It detaches from V3's body to form a rolling weapon.
- Flame Pillar Kick (火柱キック Hibashira Kikku?): Nuclear-generated power is transferred into V3's foot to allow a burning and explosive kick.
- V3 Punch (V3パンチ Bui Surī Panchi?)
- V3 Big Sky Punch (V3ビッグスカイパンチ Bui Surī Biggu Sukai Panchi?)
- V3 Triple Punch (V3トリプルパンチ Bui Surī Toripuru Panchi?)
- V3 Escape Punch (V3脱出パンチ Bui Surī Dasshutsu Panchi?)
- V3 Chop (V3チョップ Bui Surī Choppu?)
- V3 Electric Heat Chop (V3電熱チョップ Bui Surī Dennetsu Choppu?)
- V3 Electric Shock Chop (V3電撃チョップ Bui Surī Dengeki Choppu?)
- V3 Kick (V3キック Bui Surī Kikku?)
- V3 Revolving Double Kick (V3回転ダブルキック Bui Surī Kaiten Daburu Kikku?)
- V3 Tailspin Kick (V3きりもみキック Bui Surī Kirimomi Kikku?)
- V3 Revolving Kick (V3回転キック Bui Surī Kaiten Kikku?)
- V3 Revolving Full Kick (V3回転フルキック Bui Surī Kaiten Furu Kikku?)
- V3 Tailspin Return Kick (V3きりもみ反転キック Bui Surī Kirimomi Hanten Kikku?)
- V3 Flying Kick (V3フライングキック Bui Surī Furaingu Kikku?)
- V3 Revolving Three-step Kick (V3回転三段キック Bui Surī Kaiten Sandan Kikku?)
- V3 Big Sky Kick (V3ビッグスカイキック Bui Surī Biggu Sukai Kikku?)
- V3 Sky Kick (V3スカイキック Bui Surī Sukai Kikku?)
- V3 Mach Kick (V3マッハキック Bui Surī Mahha Kikku?)
- V3 Finishing Tailspin Kick (V3必殺きりもみキック Bui Surī Hissatsu Kirimomi Kikku?)
- V3 Finishing Kick (V3必殺キック Bui Surī Hissatsu Kikku?)
- V3 Three-step Kick (V3三段キック Bui Surī Sandan Kikku?)
- V3 Body Attack (V3ボディアタック Bui Surī Bodi Atakku?)
- V3 Driller (V3ドリラー Bui Surī Dorirā?)
- V3 Power (V3パワー Bui Surī Pawā?)
- V3 Full Energy Release (V3全エネルギー開放 Bui Surī Zen Enerugī Kaihō?)
- Rider Triple Power (ライダートリプルパワー Raidā Toripuru Pawā?)
- Scramble Hopper (スクランブル・ホッパー Sukuranburu Hoppā?)
- Mid-air Figure 4 Lock (空中四の字固め Kūchū Yon no Ji Gatame?): In Kamen Rider.
The Hurricane (ハリケーン Harikēn?) is V3's motorcycle which was used in his rider form. It can execute the Hurricane Dash (ハリケーンダッシュ Harikēn Dasshu?) and the Hurricane Last Dash (ハリケーンラストダッシュ Harikēn Rasuto Dasshu?) in mid-air. This motorcycle can also fly long distances.