Kamil Hornoch (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkamɪl ˈɦornox]; born 5 December 1972) is a Czech amateur astronomer who discovered dozens of novae in nearby galaxies. The main belt asteroid 14124 Kamil is named in his honour.
Kamil Hornoch became interested in astronomy in 1984. One year later he started with his scientific observations of comets, meteors, the solar photosphere, variable stars, the planets and occultations. He lives in Lelekovice, a village in the South Moravian Region, the Czech Republic.
Hornoch makes most of his observations from a small observatory in Lelekovice with a 35 cm (14 in) reflector telescope. Although he uses a CCD camera, he is also good in visual estimates of star luminosity, reaching an accuracy of 0.03 magnitude (confirmed by separate photoelectric measurements). He has also been acknowledged for his numerous estimates and measurements of brightness and positions of comets and variable stars, as well as position measurements of minor planets. In 1993 he co-discovered (with Jan Kyselý) new variable star ES UMa.
In the summer of 2002, Hornoch took a series of pictures of the surrounding of the core of the Andromeda Galaxy and discovered his first extragalactic nova. Since that time, galaxy M31 has become his favourite place to observe; he has made 43 nova discoveries and co-discoveries in that region (as of May 2007). He also discovered two novae in the galaxy M81 in pictures taken by Czech astronomer Pavel Cagaš with his 26.5 cm (10.4 in) reflector telescope on 8 and 11 April 2007. No nova discovery had been made with such a small telescope in such a distance before. One of the novae, M81 2007 3, grew very luminous, reaching the quite extraordinary absolute magnitude of −10 and apparent magnitude of 17.6 six days later. It was the brightest nova ever discovered in M81. 
- Grygar, Jiří. "Úspěch českého astronoma amatéra a o českých novách". Amatérská prohlídka oblohy. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "Lelekovice astronomers homepage". Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "2006 ASP Annual Award Winners - Amateur Achievement Award - Kamil Hornoch". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "Nové proměnné hvězdy objevené v ČR" (in Czech). Czech Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- "New Nova in the M31 Andromeda Galaxy Found". CCD cameras for astronomy. Moravian Instruments, Inc. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- Cagaš, Pavel. "Objevy nov v galaxii M81" (in Czech). Czech Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "Novae discovered in M81 galaxy using G2-3200 CCD camera on 10 in telescope". CCD cameras for Astronomy. Moravian Instruments, Inc. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- "Cena Zdeňka Kvíze" (in Czech). Czech Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser Search: 14124 Kamil". Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- "Cena Jindřicha Šilhána Proměnář roku" (in Czech). Department of Variable Star Observers of the Czech Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2007-09-16.
|Amateur Achievement Award of Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Peter Francis Williams