|Ka-226T at MAKS 2005|
|First flight||4 September 1997|
|Developed from||Kamov Ka-26|
The Kamov Ka-226 "Sergei" is a small, twin-engined Russian utility helicopter. The Ka-226 features an interchangeable mission pod, rather than a conventional cabin, allowing the use of various accommodation or equipment configurations. The Ka-226 entered service in 2002.
Variants of the Ka-226 have the NATO reporting name of Hoodlum, however Kamov's own name for the Ka-226 is Sergei.
A twin turbine version of the successful Kamov Ka-26, (a single turbine version was called the Kamov Ka-126) the Ka-226 was initially announced in 1990. Originally developed to meet the requirements of the Russian disaster relief ministry, the aircraft first flew on 4 September 1997. Certification to Russian AP-29 "A" and "B" transport categories was granted on 31 October 2003. The Ka-226 entered production at "Motor Sich", Zaporozhye, Ukraine.
The design is a refinement of the proven Ka-26, featuring interchangeable mission pods. The aircraft is fitted with a new rotor system, increased visibility nose, and new passenger cabin design. The Ka-226 also features a new transmission system and is made largely from composite materials.
The aircraft is fitted with trademark Kamov coaxial rotors, of advanced composite design, making the Ka-226 highly maneouverable and eliminating the need for a tail rotor.
Search and rescue, medivac, disaster relief and patrol variants have been developed for the Russian Emergency Ministry. Air ambulance, police and fire fighting variants have been developed for the Russian government.
- Utility helicopter.
- Described initially as "improved version", but now appears to apply to all standard models.
- Gazprom specific variant.
- Instead of Rolls-Royce 250C engines, this variant is fitted with the more powerful Turbomeca Arrius 2G1. Each engine provides 670 shp, increasing the service ceiling to around 7000m, providing improved high altitude and high temperature operation.
- Dual control training variant.
Data from www.kamov.ru
- Crew: 1
- Passengers: 9
- Cargo: 1,400kg internally, or 1,500kg on an external sling
- Length: 8.1 m (25 ft 7 in)
- Main rotor diameter: 2× 13 m (42 ft 8 in)
- Height: 4.15 m (13 ft 7 in)
- Gross weight: 3400 kg (7496 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Turbomeca Arrius 2G1, 335 kW (450 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 205 km/h (127 mph)
- Cruising speed: 195 km/h (121 mph)
- Range: 600 km (372 miles)
- Service ceiling: 6200 m (20300 ft)
- Hover ceiling: 2500 m (8200 ft)
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- "The Ka-226 helicopter with new engines powered is under testing". Kamov Company. Archived from the original on 2008-02-29. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- "World Air Forces 2013". Flightglobal Insight. 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamov Ka-226.|