Kampala International University
|Kampala International University|
|Motto||Exploring the Heights|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Peter. K. Tibenderana|
|Campus||Main Campus, Urban
Western Campus, Rural
Kampala International University has its main campus at Kansanga, a location in Makindye Division, in the southeastern part of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This location is approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), southeast of Kampala's central business district, along the road to Ggaba. The coordinates of the university's main campus are:0°17'41.0"N, 32°36'13.0"E (Latitude:0.294722; Longitude:32.603611). KIU's second campus is located in Ishaka, in Bushenyi District, approximately 360 kilometres (220 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala. The university maintains a third campus, the KIU Dar es Salaam Constituent College, in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
Kampala International University was founded in 2001. It received its University Charterer in March 2009. In August 2009, KIU was ranked 58th among African Universities and 6,510th among International Universities by Webometrics.
Academic Colleges, Schools and Institutes
- KIU Main Campus has four constituent colleges and two schools
- College of Education, Open and Distance Learning
- College of Computing and Information Technology
- College of Higher Degrees and Research
- College of Professional and Extramural Studies
- School of Law
- School of Economics and Management
This is the largest of the three campuses, hosting in excess of 7,000 students and over 300 academic staff. The academic programs on offer at this and other campuses of the university are detailed at the university website.
- KIU Western Campus
The campus houses the KIU School of Health Sciences, offering programmes in Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Technology, Education, Business, Management and Information Technology. The campus houses over 5,000 students supervised by over 200 academic staff.
- Kampala International University Dar es Salaam College
The college is housed a 100 acres (40 ha) piece of real estate at Gongolamboto area in Ilala District, along Pugu Road, approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), from Julius Nyerere International Airport.
The Western Campus
The Western Campus of KIU is located in the town of Ishaka, in Bushenyi District, western Uganda. Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs are offered at the western campus. The western campus is predominantly a science based institution. The Western Campus of KIU has a student population of over 3,000. The School of Health Sciences of KIU is located on the western campus. The School is one of Uganda's seven medical school, and was the first privately owned medical school in the country. The university has built a state of the art teaching hospital with a bed capacity of 1,200.
The academic programmes offered at each of the constituent colleges, schools, institutes and campuses of the university are listed at the university web site. In 2013, the Ugandan National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), began an investigation into weather the 42 PhDs awarded by the university up to that time, met the requirements set by the NCHE. After a thorough investigation, the Council declared, in November 2013, that the PhDs met the guidelines and were legitimate.
- Google, . "Location of Kampala International University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Ishaka With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Okurut, Karooro (17 March 2009). "KIU Didn't Start Climbing The Tree From The Top". New Vision. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Ashabahebwa, Edson (4 August 2009). "Well Done, Kampala International University". New Vision. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- The Citizen, Reporter (7 May 2013). "TCU Suspends Postgraduate Courses At KIU". The Citizen (Tanzania). Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Natukunda, Carol (29 August 2007). "KIU Medical School Accredited". New Vision. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Muhwezi, Wilber (28 November 2010). "Basajjabalaba To Build Medical School In Kenya". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Ahimbisibwe, Chris (27 July 2009). "Basajja Given USh4 Billion for Hospital". New Vision. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Wanambwa, Richard (13 November 2013). "NCHE Okays KIU PhDs". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Kampala International University Homepage
- Kampala International University - Dar es Salaam College Homepage
- Know Your Hood : Kansanga, This Sprawling Neighbourhood Is The Hub For University Students