||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Kan Mi Youn|
|Born||February 2, 1982|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Model, Radio Host|
|Associated acts||Baby V.O.X|
|Revised Romanization||Gan Mi-yeon|
Kan Mi Youn (Hangul: 간미연, Hanja: 簡美妍, born February 2, 1982) is a South Korean singer, model, radio show host, designer and business woman. Kan was the leader singer in legendary girl group Baby V.O.X from 1997 to 2006. Following the group's breakup, Kan moved on to pursue a career as a solo artist.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Discography
- 3 Television Programs
- 4 Awards
- 5 References
- 6 External links
1997–2006: Baby V.O.X. Days
Kan Mi Youn debuted in 1997 as a member of the legendary girl group Baby V.O.X, replacing ex-member Cha Yu-Mi, who was injured on stage during a performance. Kan was given the title of 'princess' by her fellow members and fans, and was known for her cute and comical traits. Kan was considered the main, and best, vocalist of the group, due to her ability to hit high notes.
Following the release of Baby V.O.X's third studio album, Come Come Come Baby, the lead single, Get Up, reached number one on Korea's pop charts, securing their spot as one of Korea's top pop music groups. The group gained a vast loyal fan base in Korea, China, Thailand and other Asian markets.
Despite garnering a large fan base, Kan was a frequent target of anti-fans. The most shocking incident was in 1999, when Kan was targeted for murder by a fan of the Korean boy group H.O.T. Kan was rumored to be dating H.O.T member Moon Hee Joon, which attracted many anti-fans and negative press. She received an envelope containing razor blades and a letter threatening to murder her.
2006: Establishing a Solo Music Career
In 2006, Kan made the decision to pursue a solo career, and signed with a new record label, thus ending her eight years of activities as a member of Baby V.O.X. Following her departure, Baby V.O.X released one final album and disbanded.
On September 15, 2006, Kan released her first solo album, Refreshing. The album was a reflection on her personal life and maturing as a woman.
2007–2009: A Career in China
While focusing on the Chinese market, Kan managed to reach a significant level of success. One of Kan's most notable feats was winning a famous Mandarin singing competition, 名声大震, with Chinese singer Anson Hu. It was this show that shot her into stardom, securing her as a successful artist in the Chinese music market.
In January 2008, Kan released a Chinese version of her debut Korean album, Refreshing.
Following the Sichuan earthquake in China, Kan collaborated with various Asian artists to release "Promise" and "I Love Asia" for a fund raising project that supported the victims of the earthquake.
2010: Returning to Korea; Going Crazy
On July 1, 2010, Kan Mi Youn made her comeback in South Korea after a three year absence. Despite her hiatus, Kan proved that she was still hot in the Korean industry. With her new short hair and sexy image, Kan released her first digital single, Going Crazy (ft. Mir of MBLAQ). The music video, which featured Lee Joon and Mir of MBLAQ, recorded over 200,000 views in under an hour on GomTV.
The song proved to be quite successful, and managed to peak at #11 on Korea's top music chart, Gaon.
On July 15, 2010, Kan officially launched her own fashion line named Kanderella. The line was eventually sold on exclusive websites and was reported to be in high demand.
2011: WATCH and OBSESSION
On February 8, 2011, Kan released a music video teaser for Sunshine (ft. Junsu of 2PM), a pre-release single for her upcoming album. The full-length music video and song were released the following day.
On February 14, 2011, a music video teaser for her lead single, Paparazzi, was released. Two days later, the full-length music video of Paparazzi, (starring Kim Hyung-jun of SS501), was released. The full-length mini-album, WATCH, was digitally and physically released the following day. Promotions for Paparazzi began on February 18, 2011, on M! Countdown. The song experienced much attention and even placed Kan in the top spots on music stations, as well as digital music charts.
On September 26, 2011, a music video teaser for Kan's new song, Won't Meet You, was released. Two days later, the full-length music video to Won't Meet You, as well as her second mini-album, OBSESSION, were released. Promotions for Won't Meet You began on September 29, 2011, on M! Countdown.
On October 24, 2011, Kan took over from Noh Hong-chul as DJ for MBC FM4U's Close Friends radio program. The program invites popular Korean singers to showcase their talents and interact with fans. Kan celebrated her 300 day anniversary in August 2012 and reported the program's ratings were higher than ever. Kan ended her position and handed over the baton to UV's Muzie on October 22nd, 2012. The show has since been canceled and replaced by FM Date.
- 2006: MBC 레인보우 로망스 (MBC Nonstop 6, Rainbow Romance)
- 2008: ETN 간미연의 트렌드섹션
- 2010: QTV 여자만세
- "Biography: Baby Vox". Allmusic. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- Profile of Baby V.O.X, JpopAsia
- KBS World: Kan Mi Yeon Profile
- Perfect People: Baby V.O.X
- Profile of Baby V.O.X, JpopAsia
- CBS News:'안티팬'이 부른 연예인 테러…과도한 집착이 보여준 단면
- sportsChosun News: SC 페이퍼진 연예인과 스토커
- Korean celebrities fear for their safety
- KBS News: Kan Mi-youn Returns as Soloist
- Sports Wordi News: 간미연 "섹시함? 쑥스러웠어요"
- KBS World: Kan Mi Youn Profile
- Metroseoul News: “홀로 선 무대 사실 두렵죠”
- KBS World: Kan Mi Youn Profile
- iFensi News:胡彦斌简美妍技压众星 《名声大震》夺冠
- KBS News: Kan Mi-youn Tops Chinese Popularity Poll
- Sohu News: 简美妍连夜录制赈灾歌曲 为灾区送祝福
- Korean Stars Sing to Deliver Message of Hope to Quake Victims
- SONGS FOR EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS (JUNE 5, 2008)
- Newsis: 이 간미연이 그 간미연? 환골탈태 '미쳐가'
- '컴백' 간미연, 엠블렉 미르와 섹시 퍼포먼스
- Daily Kpop News: Kan Mi Youn MV Hits 200,000 views in 1 Day
- NewDaily: 간미연도 '쇼핑몰 CEO' 변신?
- <친한친구> DJ데뷔 간미연 위해 베이비복스 멤버들 '응원왔어요~' [<Close Friends> DJ Debut for Kan Mi Youn, BabyVox Members 'Come to give support'] (in Korean). Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation. 2011-10-26. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Baby V.O.X. gathers to support Kan Mi Youn's radio DJ debut". Allkpop. 2011-10-27. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Jang, Young-Jun (2012-08-24). '간미연의 친한친구', 300일 특집 공개방송 'Thank U 4 U' 개최 ['Kan Mi Youn's Close Friends' holds 300-day feature broadcast 'Thank U 4 U']. TV Report (in Korean).
- UV, MBC라디오 ‘친한친구’ DJ 발탁…간미연과 바통 터치 [UV, MBC Radio 'Close Friends' DJ chosen...Kan Mi Youn passes the baton] (in Korean). The Dong-a Ilbo. 2012-10-16. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Roy Kim and Jung Joon Young's 'Close Friends' gets canceled + 'FM Date' to be revived as its replacement". Allkpop. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- 간미연, 마코어뮤즈먼트와 전속계약…베이비복스 심은진과 한솥밥 [Kan Mi Youn, exclusive contract with Mako Amusement...along with Baby Vox Shim Eun-jin] (in Korean). Korea Economic Daily. 2014-05-14. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "Kan Mi Youn's Artist Profile on Mako". Mako Amusement (in Korean). Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- Source Music: Kan Mi Youn Biography
- Naver: Baby V.OX Biography