|Directed by||A.P. Nagarajan|
|Music by||K. V. Mahadevan|
|Running time||150 minutes|
Kandan Karunai (கந்தன் கருணை) is a Tamil cinema, which was released in 1967 and was directed by A.P. Nagarajan. It was his 8th film in the Tamil cinema industry. It starred Sivaji Ganesan, Sivakumar and Savithri.
The film revolves around Lord Murugan, his birth, marriage and his acceptance of the post of the head of the army of the heaven. In Hinduism, there are six abodes of lord Muruga, known as the "Arupadai Veedu". The story behind each of the abodes are portrayed choronologically in the film. It starts with Swami Malai, where Lord Muruga (Master Sridhar) teaches the meaning of the word 'OM' to his father, Lord Shiva (Gemini Ganesan). He goes to Palani Hills after a fight over a sacred fruit, that is his second abode, then he wins over the demon king Surapadman in Thiruchendur and that is his third abode, the King of Heaven, Lord Indira offers his Daughter's hand in appreciation of Lord Muruga's Victory and he marries her in Thiruparamkundram, his fourth abode.
He later marries Valli in his fifth abode of Thiruthani, later after a short dispute between both his wives they amicably settle in Palamuthircholai, his sixth abode. All the events are summarised by Nakeeran, Great Tamil Poet portrayed by Seerkhali Govindarajan at the end of the film.
The film received the National Film award for best music director award to K V Mahadevan.
- Sivaji Ganesan as Veerabaghu
- Gemini Ganesan as Lord Shiva
- Savitri as Goddess Parvati
- Sivakumar as Muruga
- K. R. Vijaya as Deivaanai
- J. Jayalalitha as Valli
- Ashokan as Soorapadman
- Master Sridhar as Child Muruga
- K. B. Sundarambal as Auvaiyar
- Manorama as Valli's best friend
- S. Varalakshmi as Indrani
- K. Balaji as Banugopan
- Nagesh as Nageswaran
- Solla Solla - P. Suseela
- Manam Padaithen - P. Suseela
- Thiruparankundrathil - P. Suseela & Soolamangalam Rajalakshmi
- Arupadai Veedu Kondu - Sirkazhi Govindarajan
- Vellimalai Mannava - S. Varalakshmi
- Aridu Aridu - K. B. Sundarambal
- Arumugam Anaporal - S. Janaki & K. Jamuna Rani
- Vetri Vel - T. M. Soundararajan
- Kandhanuku Gnanavel - K. B. Sundarambal
- Vellimalai Podhigaimalai
- Kurinjiyele Poomalarnthu