Thakur Village in Kandivali (East)
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-02, MH-47|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Mumbai North|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Charkop
(cover western parts of the suburb)
(cover eastern parts of the suburb)
Kandivali, or Kandivli is a suburb in the northern part of Mumbai,Maharashtra,India. It is the 20th railway station from south to north within Mumbai
The Kandivali railway station was built more than 100 years ago in 1907, then known as Khandolee by.The station derived its name from the East Indian village of Condolim .Earth and stones from Paran, a hillock east of the Kandivli Railway Station were quarried to reclaim the Bombay Backbay. On this account a railway line was opened, a workshop erected and a number of dwelling houses were constructed for officers and workmen numbering hundreds. The area around Western Express Highway between Malad and Kandivali had numerous stone quarries and was once famous for Malad Stone. Many heritage buildings in Mumbai were constructed with Malad stone between 1860 and 1930, notable among them are David Sasson library, Bombay House and the Western Railway building at Churchgate.
During the boom that followed the First World War (1914–18), several Gujaratis flocked about the newly opened Railway Station of Kandivli. On account of its healthy climate, good water and rural life, the Gujaratis built homes towards the west of the Railway Station. They soon outnumbered the people in the village. A few Parsis also bought large pieces of land near the village. A municipal body on a smaller scale known as the Notified Area Committee including the villages of Kandivli and Poinsur was soon established. A Town Planning Scheme, launched by the Government to attract more people to the place, did not materialize due to the depression of the 1930s. The township was semi-rural up to the 1980s, with agricultural land, huts and villages. With the real estate boom in the 1980s and 1990s, many residential projects started to shift northward.
Landmarks and localities
Samta nagar is one of the oldest colony of kandivali, which has a school and a bus depot. It is a mhada colony, currently being re-developed by renowned builders Shaporji Palanji. Like all other Mumbai suburbs, Kandivali is split by the train station into Western and Eastern areas. Notable areas of Kandivali include Thakur Complex, Thakur Village, Lokhandwala Complex and Ashok Nagar on the Eastern side, and Mahavir Nagar on the Western side.
The oldest locality in Kandivali is Kandivali Village which was home to more than 5 families, mostly Pachkalshi,(such as Patil, Mhatre) in the 1800s. Kandivali village is one of the Old East Indian villages of Mumbai. It originally consisted of the East Indian Catholic families (such as the Mirandas, Mendes, Daniels, Rodrigues).
There is a respectable population of Dawoodi Bohra Muslims in Kandivali (W) who settled here about 60 years ago from different places in search of a proper home. They were given a chawl of about 70 houses. Now, they prosper in a large colony named as Badri Apartments as their old colony was bought by some builders about 10 years ago and turned into a tower called Raj Heights.
The "Church of Our Lady of Assumption", located off M.G. Road, was built in 1630 and is one of the oldest churches of Mumbai. The pond located in Shankar Mandir, Kandivali village is used for immersions during Ganesh Chaturthi. Also located on M.G. Road is the famous Kala Hanuman temple, which is visited by hundreds of devotees every day. The 56 years old Shreeji Temple located on Mathurdas Road attracts a large number of devotees. A 150 year old shrine to Shri Karsangli Akurli Mata, Varahi Mata Temple at Shanker Lane. Our Lady of Remedy High School is one of the oldest schools in Kandivli(W) established in 1926.
The Mahindra & Mahindra plant occupies a 63-acre (250,000 m2) built-up area and employs over 3,000. Industrial complexes such as Akurli Industrial Estate, Kandivali (Charkop) Industrial estate, Gundecha Industrial Estate, Balaji Industrial Estate and Jai Bonanza Industrial Estate are home to small and medium sized industries. Kandivali is also home to The Times of India printing press and Associated Capsules, one of the world's largest manufacturers of empty capsules.
Balaji Temple at Charkop sector 7.
The Sports Authority of India has a huge training ground for the popular football teams Mahindra United Football Teams like FC Greens, F united also practice here regularly, Athletics and a very famous handball team and also has a new American football team is also located in Kandivali.
Close to Mahindra and Mahindra is Thakur Village. This locality has developed at a fast pace and houses some of the tallest towers in Kandivali besides of course the cinemas, restaurants and parks. Naturo Healthplus is also located in Vasant Sagar in Thakur Village. It is a pioneer in bringing the benefits of Himalayan rocksalt in the form of rocksalt lamps, bath salts, pain relief-crystals, etc. to India. Thakur Village also has a lot of good schools, a marriage hall and branded retail outlets.
Raghuleela Megamall, Growel's 101 and Poisar Gymkhana are one of the favourite hangout places
Mahavir Nagar, Kandivali (West) has also started developing since the year 2000 and now boasts of the best residential locality with big banks, malls and restaurants. And it has the newly made Sachin Tendulkar Gymkhana. Poinsur Gymkhana in the vicinity is for general public and lot of people come for walk in the mornings and evenings. Cricket and Football matches are played during the day time in the Poinsur ground.Mahavir nagar has many restaurants and the megastore D-Mart has also opened here.
Media / Newspaper
- Neighbourhood Times – Kandivli East's Very Own Weekly Community Newspaper was launched on February 17, 2011. Neighbourhood Times is a community newspaper that covers local issues, events and news that really matter and affect Kandivli East.
- Neighbourhood Times is Owned & Published by Arun D'Souza, who has been living in Kandivli East for over a decade and is a media professional with over 17 years of media experience.
Kandivali railway station is a busy station along the Western Line on the Mumbai suburban railway. Poisar Bus Agar on of the oldest BEST Bus depot located in Kandivali west on S.V.Road, Road connectivity is provided by means of Western Express Highway on the East, S.V. Road and Link Road on the west. A Metro line, terminating at Charkop, had been proposed which was supposed to be completed by 2011. But the project has been delayed due to unavailability of land for car sheds at both Charkop and Mankhurd. The BEST bus depot is close to the railway station on the Eastern side of the suburb and is the point of origin for localities in Kandivali East like Ashok Nagar, Hanuman Nagar, Damu Nagar, Samata Nagar, Thakur Village and Thakur Complex. Bus services also serve distant destinations like Kashimira and Borivali.
The Kandivali West Post office( Pin Code 400067)is the oldest post office in kandivali West near railway station.
The Kandivali East Post office( Pin Code 400101) was initially located in Fonseca Compound on Akurli road near Kandivali Railway Station on the Eastern side. It moved to Samata Nagar in the late nineties/early 2000s.
Shatabdi Hospital was opened in Kandivali West S V Road by Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM)on September 2, 2013. It is named after Bharat Ratna Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar. It is 324 bed hospital and it is also having a separate 30-bed space with improved facilities for senior citizens. The hospital has one of the best amenities.
There are a couple of government agency hospitals in Kandivali East. The Akurli Road Municipal Maternity Home (run by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation) is situated as a two-storey building on Akurli Road opposite Dena Bank. There is the Employees State Insurance Scheme(ESIS) hospital as well on Akurli Road in Kandivali East. Both are within 5 minutes walking distance to the railway station. Another new civic hospital in the making is Shatabdi General Hospital just besides the station. Other hospitals are
- Western Hospital
- Agarwal Hospital
Hilda castelino Hindi/ Marathi High school
- Indian Education Secondary and Higher Secondary High School Charkop
- Parmanand Jethanand Pancholia High School
- M.L.R.T. Gala Pioneer English School
- Holy Infant High School, Ganesh Nagar
- Gandhi Vidya Mandir High School
- Cambridge School
- Ryan International School C.B.S.E
- St. Lawrence High School
- Shree Jamanadas Adukiya Balika Vidayalaya
- Lokhandwala Foundation School
- Bharat Bharti Hindi High School
- Bal Bharti High school
- Gandhi Vidya Mandir English High School
- Priyadarshini Vidyamadir, Charkop.
- EkVira High School.
- Esplanade High School.
- Thakur Public School
- Gundecha Education Academy
- Thakur Vidya Mandir
- Anudutta Vidyalaya
- Our Lady of Remedy High School.
- St. Joseph High School
- Veer Bhagat Singh High School.
- Swami Vivekanand International School & Jr.College
- Indian Education Society High School.
- Oxford Public School.
- St. Xavier's International School.
- Children's Academy
- C.U. Shah High School.
- Thakur International School
- Shree Raghubir Madhymik vidyalaya
- Dhanamal High School
- Pawar Public School, Kandivali.
- Balak Vihar Vidyalaya - Marathi Medium.
- St.LAW Computer Institute
- Gulab Computer Education trust.
- Dada Naravane's Ramakrishna Vidyamandir - Marathi Medium and school for special children.
- Cambridge School
- Gyaneshwar VidyaMandir
- New English School
- Kapol Vidyanidhi International School
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Vividhlakshi Vidyalaya
- The Learning Central Preschool and Activity center
- The Shalin Choksi's school Blooming Dales
- The Roshnikant Sharma's School of Wizardy
- Shrimati Rajdevi Hindi High School
- Bajaj BMC School (Kandivali West)
- Pawar Public school
- kapol Vidyanidhi
- Phoenix Archery Academy (Mumbai)
- M.L.R.T Gala Pioneer English School & Junior College
- Swami Vivekananda International School & junior college
- Nirmala Memorial Foundation college
- Shree Jamnadas Adukia Balika Vidyalaya and Junior College
- Balbharti College Of Commerce
- Niranjan Majithia College of Commerce
- Prakash Junior College Of Commerce & Science
- Kandivili Education Society College Of Arts and Commerce
- St. Lawrence Junior College Of Science & Commerce
- Everest College
- Thakur College Of Engineering And Technology
- Thakur polytechnic College
- Thakur College Of Science & Commerce
- Thakur Shyamnarayan College Of Education & Research
- Pratham College
- Pal Rajendra High School & D Ed College
- Shree Mumbadevi Junior College of Commerce
- Swami Vivekanand International School & Junior College
- D T S S College Of Commerce
- HOSPITAL .KHM MEDICAL CENTER . S.V.ROAD KANDIVALI (W)
- Oxford International School (Kandivali East)
- DHANAMAL JUNIOR COLLEGE.
- Ghosh, A. (1991). Encyclopedia of Indian Archaeology 1. Brill Academic Publishers. ISBN 90-04-09264-1.
- "The East Indians of Kandivli".
- "The East Indian Community". Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- Bombay Gazettor's records XIV, 1882
- "Mahindra & Mahindra Manufacturing Plants". Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- "Charkop-Mankhurd-Bandra Corridor Delayed". Financial Express. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Gundecha Education Academy web site
- St. Joseph High School web site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kandivali.|
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|