Texeira with the Kansas City Royals
February 6, 1986 |
|April 6, 2010 for the Seattle Mariners|
(through 2011 season)
|Earned run average||4.66|
Kanekoa Jacob Texeira (born February 6, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Atlanta Braves organization. He played in Major League Baseball with the Seattle Mariners and Kansas City Royals from 2010-2011.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Chicago White Sox
Texeira was selected by Chicago White Sox in the 22nd round (675th overall) of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed on June 14, 2006 and debuted that season with the Bristol White Sox of the Appalachian League, before being promoted to the Kannapolis Intimidators of the South Atlantic League. After pitching all of 2007 in Kannapolis, he split 2008 between the Class-A advanced Winston-Salem Warthogs and the Class-AA Birmingham Barons.
New York Yankees
He was traded to the New York Yankees on November 14, 2008 along with first baseman/outfielder Nick Swisher in exchange for infielder Wilson Betemit, and minor league pitchers Jeffrey Marquez and Jhonny Nuñez. He played the 2009 season the Class-AA Trenton Thunder.
Texeira was selected by the Seattle Mariners in the 2009 Rule 5 draft. Mariners General Manager Jack Zduriencik had been familiar with Texeira from his days with the Brewers, where he was scouting director when Texeira was drafted by the Brewers in 2004. Texeira made the Mariners' opening day roster following a strong performance in spring training. With the Mariners, he recorded a 5.30 ERA, 6.8 strikeouts per nine innings, and 4.8 walks per nine innings in 18 2⁄3 innings pitched. However, Texeira and Jesús Colomé were designated for assignment on May 31, 2010, as the Mariners promoted pitchers Sean White and Garrett Olson.
Kansas City Royals
On June 3, 2010, Texeira was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals, who designated Brad Thompson for assignment to make room for him. On June 15, 2010, he recorded his first career win in a 15-7 Royals victory over the Houston Astros.
Texeira, after starting the 2011 season with Kansas City, was optioned to Triple-A on April 21. He had a 0–0 record with a 2.84 ERA in six games at the time of his demotion. Royals add Coleman to bullpen, send Texeira to the Omaha Storm Chasers. He was designated for assignment on May 18.
Return to Yankees
He was claimed off waivers by the New York Yankees on May 25. He was released by the Yankees on July 6, after making six appearances with the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, recording a 22.85 ERA. On July 20, he re-signed a minor league contract with the Yankees.
Texiera made his AA season debut for the Trenton Thunder of the Eastern League on August 5, 2011. After 1.1 innings, he was pulled after giving up 6 hits for 4 runs (an ERA of 20.25), striking one out, and walking another. The Thunder went on to lose to the Altoona Curve, 8-2. Since then, he has reduced his ERA, making continued progress until a slight setback on August 13, 2011. Appearing with an ERA down to 8.10 in a game at Harrisburg, PA with the Thunder leading 7-3 in the ninth, Chris McConnell of the Senators led off the ninth with a solo homer. Settling in, Texeira closed out the ninth and now has an ERA standing at 8.31.
Texeira was signed to a minor league contract by the Cincinnati Reds on December 15, 2011.
Second Stint with the Reds
Second Stint with the Bluefish
Texeira signed with the Bridgeport Bluefish for the 2014 season.
- "Yankees acquire 1B/OF Nick Swisher and Kanekoa Texeira from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for INF Wilson Betemit and two Minor League pitchers". Major League Baseball. newyork.yankees.mlb.com. November 13, 2008. Archived from the original on February 25, 2014. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- Doug Miller (December 10, 2009). "Mariners take pitcher in Rule 5 Draft". Major League Baseball. MLB.com. Archived from the original on November 4, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2010.
- "The Hot Stone League | M's take Texeira in Rule 5 draft...no, not Mark". Seattle Times. December 10, 2009. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "Mariners' expected roster has few surprises". Seattle Mariners. Idaho Statesman. April 2, 2010. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- Stone, Larry (May 31, 2010). "Mariners Blog | M's DFA Texeira, Colome, recall Garrett Olson, Sean White". Seattle Times. Retrieved June 1, 2010.
- [dead link]
- Dick Kaegel (April 15, 2012). "Royals add Coleman to 'pen, option Dyson". Kansas City Star. Archived from the original on May 2, 2014.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith (May 18, 2011). "Royals Designate Kanekoa Texeira For Assignment". MLBTradeRumors.com. Archived from the original on May 2, 2014.
- "Yankees Claim Kanekoa Texeira". MLBTradeRumors.com. May 25, 2011. Archived from the original on April 19, 2014. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (July 6, 2011). "Yankees Release Kanekoa Texeira". MLBTradeRumors.com. Archived from the original on April 19, 2014. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (July 20, 2011). "Minor Moves: Texeira, Ring, Padres". MLBTradeRumors.com. Archived from the original on April 19, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Ed Price (November 13, 2008). "Yankees acquire Swisher in five-player deal with White Sox". The Star-Ledger. NJ.com. Archived from the original on August 10, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2010.