Ranaut unveiling the latest range of LG TVs, April 2011
|Born||Kangna Amardeep Ranaut
23 March 1987 
Bhambla, Mandi District, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Other names||Kangna Ranaut|
|Years active||2006 - present|
Kangna Ranaut (born 23 March 1987) is an Indian actress who appears mostly in Hindi films. She made her acting debut in 2006 with a leading role in Gangster. She won a Filmfare as well as a National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as a troubled model in Fashion (2008) and subsequently featured in commercially successful films such as Raaz – The Mystery Continues (2009), Once Upon A Time In Mumbai (2010), Tanu Weds Manu (2011), Double Dhamaal (2011), Shootout at Wadala (2013), and Krrish 3 (2013).
Ranaut was born in a Rajput family to Asha Ranaut, a school teacher, and Amardeep Ranaut, a businessman. She has an elder sister, Rangoli and a younger brother, Akshit. Her family lives in Mandi. 
Ranaut started her career as a theatre actor in Delhi with Asmita Theatre Group. She trained under eminent theatre director Arvind Gaur. She participated in his theatre workshop at India Habitat Centre and acted in several plays. Her first play with Arvind Gaur was Girish Karnad's Taledanda (Rakt-Kalyan). Ranaut joined Asha Chandra's course in 2004 to brush herself to face the camera.
Debut and breakthrough in films, 2006-present
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Ranaut moved to Mumbai to try her luck in movies. In September 2005, Anurag Basu spotted her in a cafe in Mumbai, and offered her the lead role in Gangster. Released in 2006, the film became critically and commercially successful and her performance was especially applauded. This was followed by another acclaimed performance in Woh Lamhe, which also released in 2006.
Later, in 2007, Ranaut starred in Anurag Basu's Life In A... Metro. Her performance in the film earned her rave reviews. That same year she also starred in Shakalaka Boom Boom as an aspiring singer. Her next film, Fashion, starring Priyanka Chopra and Mugdha Godse, was released in 2008. The film, portraying the dark side of the fashion world, was a critical success, and Ranaut's portrayal of a supermodel who loses everything to drugs gained her widespread praise, fetching her various awards, including a Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award and a National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress. The film further became a commercail success as well despite competiition.
In 2009, Ranaut appeared in the thriller Raaz – The Mystery Continues with Emraan Hashmi. The movie became a commercial success and was declared the first reasonable hit of 2009. Rediff wrote,"Kangana puts in a great performance, one, I admit, I didn't know she was capable of. Her scenes when she gets possessed, as well as when she walks the ramp, are brilliant."
In 2010, Kangna was seen in a guest appearance opposite Hrithik Roshan in Kites and also starred in a leading role alongside Ajay Devgan in one of the year's most successful outings Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai. Ranaut also appeared in Knock Out and No Problem which were both critical and commercial failures.
Her first release of 2011 was Tanu Weds Manu opposite R. Madhavan, a romantic comedy that proved to be successful at the box office. Along with Ajay Devgan, Zarine Khan and Arbaaz Khan, Ranaut made a special appearance in Anees Bazmee's highly successful comedy Ready, which starred Salman Khan and Asin Thottumkal in lead roles. She was next seen in the multistarrer Double Dhamaal, the sequel of Dhamaal, which emrged as a moderate success at the box office. Ranaut later appeared in Rascals alongside Ajay Devgn and Sanjay Dutt, which opened to a good response at the box office, however became a commercial and critical failure. She also appeared in Miley Naa Miley Hum which failed to do well at the box office.
In 2012, Ranaut once again appeared alongside Ajay Devgan in Tezz, which was a major failure at the box office. She appeared inShootout At Wadala alongside John Abraham and Anil Kapoor. Though her role was not big, she received positive reviews. Komal Nahta wrote, "Kangana Ranaut may not have a key role but she, nevertheless, performs ably."
Ranaut featured in Krrish 3 with Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra and Vivek Oberoi. Upon release, the film and her performance met with positive critical response. Mohar basu of Koimoi stated," Kangana easily topples as the film’s most striking female character. As the wicked slimy chameleon Kaya, she puts up a devilish show indeed! Making her character look extremely sexy, in her bits she owns the film!" The film opened strongly at the box office as well collecting over 48 crore (US$7.3 million) just within two days of release despite the pre-Diwali period.
Ranaut is set to appear in I Love NY opposite Sunny Deol, Rajjo, Revolver Rani, Queenand Ungli alongside Emraan Hashmi. In July 2012, the actress made a directorial debut with a short film dealing with a complex subject of human-animal relationship, written in collaboration with an Australian writer and shot in the US.
- Asian Festival of First Films, Best Actress, Gangster
- Filmfare Best Female Debut Award, Gangster
- Filmfare Fairever Fresh Face of the Year Award, Gangster
- IIFA Best Female Debut Award, Gangster
- Star Screen Award for Most Promising Newcomer – Female, Gangster
- Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut, Gangster
- Stardust Superstar of Tomorrow - Female, Gangster
- Bollywood Movie Award – Best Female Debut, Gangster
- National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress, Fashion
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Fashion
- IIFA Best Supporting Actress Award, Fashion
- Stardust Best Supporting Actress Award, Fashion
- Apsara Awards Best Supporting Actress, Fashion
- Apsara Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role, Tanu Weds Manu
- IIFA Award for Best Actress, Tanu Weds Manu
- Screen Award for Best Actress, Tanu Weds Manu
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor – Female, Tanu Weds Manu
|2006||Gangster||Simran||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|2006||Woh Lamhe||Sana Azim|
|2007||Shakalaka Boom Boom||Ruhi|
|2007||Life in a... Metro||Neha|
|2008||Dhaam Dhoom||Shenba||Tamil film|
|2008||Fashion||Shonali Gujral||National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress
Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress
|2009||Raaz – The Mystery Continues||Nandita Chopra|
|2009||Ek Niranjan||Sameera||Telugu film|
|2010||Kites||Gina B. Grover|
|2010||Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai||Rehana|
|2010||Knock Out||Nidhi Shrivastav|
|2011||Tanu Weds Manu||Tanuja R. Trivedi|
|2011||Double Dhamaal||Kiya Nayak|
|2011||Miley Naa Miley Hum||Anishka|
|2013||Shootout at Wadala||Vidya Joshi|
|2014||I Love New Year||Delayed|
|2014||Queen||Releasing February 28, 2014|
- "Facts About Kangna Ranaut". officialkanganaranaut.com. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Ram Kishore Parcha. "Kangana Ranaut interview". BBCHindi.com. Retrieved 2009-04-02.
- Kangna: Men Keep Hitting On Me
- "tribuneindia.com". Another actress from Himachal Pradesh. Retrieved 16 February 2007.
- Kangna: Men Keep Hitting On Me | iDiva.com
- "Asmita theatre alumni list". sites.google.com. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Kangna was kind of lost in Delhi". The Times of india. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Kangana Ranaut TheFilm.co.in : Bollywood News Gossip, Bollywood Music, Bollywood Wallpapers,Bollywood Movie Trailers and Songs Download".
- "boxofficeindia.com". Gangster is a hit at the box office. Archived from the original on 10 February 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2007.
- "Kangana Ranaut turns director with short film". 31 July 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kangna Ranaut.|