|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Durgam AND KANAKA PATNAM
|Elevation||101 m (331 ft)|
|• Total||31,122 |
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kanigiri is a town and Mandal in Prakasam district, Andhra Pradesh, South-East India with a population of 31,122 according to 2001 Census . Its name is a combination of two Sanskrit words: Kani (see) and giri (hill). Kanigiri is located near the coast of the Bay of Bengal, and enjoys a hot climate for most of the year. The town is surrended by the range of Eastern Ghats. Kanigiri is also declared as major panchayat during 2008-2009 and also a constituency.
Kanigiri is of historic importance as capital city of the kingdom ruled by Katama Raju, with historical monuments in and around the hill near the town. These include the fort and a number of wells which can be reached only on foot.Historically the town was once called as Kanakapatnam. the whole forts of the king were located in a place called durgam.this durgam can only be reached by foot.But at present the route for this place was not clear so many people are not willing to reach it.
- Sri Venkateswara Swami Devalayam
- Ayappa Swami Devalayam (formerly Ramappa Temple)
- Sri VasaviKanyaka Parameswari Temple
- Haranadh Baba Temple
- Kanaka Durga Temple
- Geeta Mandiram
- Sri Sai Baba Temple
- Ankalamma Devalayam
- Abhaya Anjaneya Swami Temple (Kotturu)
- Ramalayam Temple
- Ganpathi Devalayam
- Bramham Gari Temple
- Kasinayana Temple
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Dhyana Mandiram
- Sri Abaya Anjaneya Temple
- Sri Rashuri Peddamma Temple
- Sri Narayana Swami Temple
- Bhairava Kona (Shivalayam) waterfall
- Gangamma Temple, Alavalapadu
- Sri Katam Raju Gangamma Talli Temple .Yadavrajula Palli
- Sri Gangabhavnikatakoteswartemple .N.Gollapalli
- Sri Sita Ramaswamy Devasthanam. Ballavaram
- Masthan Darga. Ballavaram
- Poleramma Devasthaman. Ballavaram
- markas (big) mosque
- Small Mosque
- Bilal Mosque
- Ali Mosque
- Suffah Mosque
- Abubakar Mosque
- Aksa Mosque
- Umar Mosque
- Kanigiri Durgam Baptist Church (KDBC): At the centre of the town, the church was established in 1892.
- Kanigiri Church of Christ (Brother V. David Raju, pastor): Established 1992
Kanigiri has an average elevation of 101 metres (334 feet).
Historically, residents depended on monsoon rains for drinking water; currently, water from the reservoir Nagarjuna Sagar Dam via pumplines reaches the town through a plant near Doruvu.
Kanigiri is connected by road to all other cities in Andhra Pradesh and other capitals such as Chennai and Bangalore. The largest bus company is the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC). Two private bus operators, Raja Travels & Meghana Travels, offers service to Hyderabad. The nearest railway lines are at Singarayakonda (about 62 km away) and Ongole (about 78 km away, with more extensive service). The nearest airports are Vijayawada Airport (about 200 km away) and Chennai Airport (about 350 km away). The Kanigiri bus depot is one of the most profitable in the state (since there are few transportation alternatives), and is the second-largest bus stand in the district (after Ongole). Kanigiri is 2nd in APSRTC transportation in state
According to the 2001 India census, Kanigiri has a population of 31,122, with a male-female ratio of 51 to 49 percent. It has a literacy rate of 67 percent, which is higher than the national average of 59.5 percent. Male literacy is 73 percent and female literacy 60 percent. The percentage of the population under six years of age is 11 percent.
- SRI CHAITANYA EDUCATIONAL INSTIUTIONS:
- Pragathi vidya Nilayam
- MNM Degree College
- Ratnam High School
- ABR Engineering College
- Sadhana Paramedical Vocational Junior College
- Honey Concept School
- Krishna Chaitanya Junior College
- Nethaji Junior College
- Aditya Public School
- Sri Pratibha School
- Gomathy Public School
- Govt Degree College
- Alpha public school
- Alpha Degree college.
- Z.P.P.High School. Mogalluru
- Govt Elementry School. Ballavaram
Kanigiri is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. There were 2,04,800 registered voters in the constituency as of January 1, 2009.
- 1962: Kotapati Guruswamy Reddy (CPI)
- 1967: Puli Venkata Reddy (INC)
- 1972: Mr.Sura Papi Reddy(Late) (CPM)
- 1978: Butalapalli Ramasubba Reddy INC-I)
- 1983, 1985 and 1994: Mukku Kasi Reddy (TDP)
- 1999 and 2004: Erigineni Thirupathi Naidu (INC)
- 2009: Mukku Ugra Narasimha Reddy (INC)
- 1977: Basaviah Nagarakanti, V.V. Kondiah and Basaviah
- 1988: Devaki Balakrishna Murthi
- 1991: Nayab Rasool (leader)
- 1995: Dr. Sugunavatamma
- 2001: V.V.R. Manohar Rao
- 2006: Devaki Lalita Kumari
Sarpanches in Chakirala
- 2006:Kunduri Tirupati Reddy
- 2013: Kummari Anjamma
Villages in Chakirala panchyat:
Bhutham varipalli, Chakirala, Ramireddypalli, S.c palem, Turakapalli.
Sarpanches in Peramgudipalli(Kottapalli):
- 2006: Nambula Malalakondaiah
- 2013 : SYKAM MALAKONDA REDDY
YSR CONGRESS LEADER in BALLAVARAM:
- 2013: Sykam Masthan Reddy
- "Sub_Districts_Master". Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "While we wre Eradicating Polio another deadly disease is Crippling Children". Nataus.org. Retrieved 2012-111-7.
- [dead link]