The Door of Highrange
A Rainy Morning in Kanjirappally Town.
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||686507 (Kanjirappally Head Post Office)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-34(Kanjirappally) or KL-05(Kottayam)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
|Nearest city||Kottayam, Thodupuzha, Muvattupuzha, Changanassery, Pala|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Pathanamthitta (Kanjirappally Niyamasabha Mandalam)|
|Climate||Tropical monsoon (Köppen)|
|Avg. summer temperature||35 °C (95 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||18 °C (64 °F)|
|Website||Kanjirappally Official Facebook|
Kanjirappally is a taluk and a town in Kottayam district situated about 38 kilometres away from the district capital, in the state of Kerala, India. National Highway (old NH 220 Kollam - Theni now NH 183) connects Kanjirapally to major nearest cities. Kanjirappally, also known as the Door of Highrange since it acts as an entrance to Idukki district and then to Tamil Nadu. Rubber plantations are a major source of income for the local population. The place has a large population of Syrian Catholic Christians. The Christian colonization of Kanjirappally had a profound impact on the history of commerce and agriculture in these parts. The Christians claim their roots from early settlements at Nilakkal or Chayal on the banks of Pamba River. There is also a strong belief that the flourishing Christian community here was founded by Saint Thomas the Apostle himself. The place was in the forest recesses far away from seats of power. Nilakkal became an important depot for spices like pepper, cardamom etc. and the Christians were engaged in this lucrative trade as procures and sorters.
- 1 Religion
- 2 Etymology
- 3 Location, distance, transportation
- 4 Politics, administration offices
- 5 Famous Personalities
- 6 Hospitals, banks, shops
- 7 Education
- 8 Entertainment
- 9 External links
Kanjirappally is a small city that boasts of it religious harmony. The population is a mixture of Syrian Christians, Muslims, and Hindus.
- St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (Pazhayapalli or Akkarappally) is one of the oldest and most famous churches in the Diocese of Kanjirappally. It was built in 1449, 50 years before the Portuguese landed in Kerala.
- Ganapathy Koil is a beautiful Hindu temple built in granite. Hindus from Kerala come here to offer prayers. It was built by the Vellala community of Tamil Nadu, but this 900-year-old structure is almost in ruins today, although the carvings and inscriptions on its granite pillars are still visible.
- Madhura Meenakshi Temple is another beautiful temple in the heart of Kanjirapally Town. Devi Madhura Meenakshi is worshipped there.
- St. Dominic's Syro-Malabar Catholic Cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Kanjirappally and was built in 1826. The 150th anniversary of St. Dominic's Cathedral was celebrated in 1977.
- Nainaru Mosque is one of the popular mosques in the region. The Nainaru Mosque attracts Muslims from the town as well as the surrounding areas to offer their prayers.
Kanjirappally got its name from an interesting combination. It is believed that the central church, St. Dominic's Cathedral pally had a kanjiram tree (strychnine or snakewood) at its front. So, the combination of kanjiram and pally gives the name Kanjirappally.
Location, distance, transportation
The K. K. Road (NH-183: Kollam-Theni) (Kottayam-Kumily Road) connects Kanjirapally to major nearest cities like Mundakkayam (16 km), Kottayam (38 km), Kuttikkanam (34 km), Kumily (72 km) and Ponkunnam (5 km).
The nearest international airport is Cochin International Airport in Nedumbassery, the nearest railway station is in Kottayam and Changanassery and the nearest KSRTC bus station is in Ponkunnam. The nearest Medical College is at Kottayam. A railway station is expected to be come at Kanjirappally as a part of Angamaly-Sabarimala rail route in future.
Petta Junction, Kurisungal Junction, Puthanangadi Junction, Bus Stand Junction, Poothakkuzhy Junction, 26th Mile Junction, Kunnumbhagom Junction, Kovilkkadavu, Rani Hospital Junction are the major junctions in Kanjirappally.
Puthanangadi road connects Kadamappuzha Hospital Kanjirappally and St . Dominic's Cathedral Kanjirappally. Kokkappally road(TVS Road) connects Akkarappally. Chacko Mukadans road connects Hotel Hilltop Kanjirappally and Police Station Kanjirappally. KMA Hall road, Myca road connects Nainar Juma Masjid. T.B road connects Mannarakkayam with Kunnumbhagom Junction through P.W.D Rest House and St. Joseph Public School. A bypass road connects Kurisungal Junction to Petta Junction.
Politics, administration offices
[Kanjirappally assembly constituency is part of Pathanamthitta (Lok Sabha constituency). Previously it was part of Muvattupuzha (Lok Sabha constituency). Most of the local administration offices like PWD, Railway Reservation Counter,Employment Exchange, Taluk offices etc. are now located in the recently constructed Mini Civil Station.
Munsif Court, 1st class Magistrate Court, 2nd class Magistrate Court are in Court Complex, Court Junction ponkunnam which is 4 kilometers away from the town.
Kerala State Electricity Board Kanjirappally is at Puthanangadi Junction near St. Dominic's Higher Secondary School Kanjirappally.
Kanjirappally Grama Panchayat offices and Kanjirappally Grama Panchayat Town Hall are at Kurisungal Junction. Kanjirappally Block Panchayat offices are at Mannarakkayam (Koovappally road).
Kerala State Highway Board, Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribe development offices are at Chacko Mukadans road.
Kerala State Hosing Board Colony near Kanjirappally Town Hall. Kanjirappally Taluk Supply office at Kurisungal Junction.
B.S.N.L Telecommunications Head office, near Grand Opera Theatre Kanjirappally. B.S.N.L Customer care service centre Kanjirappally near Mini Civil Station.
Kanjirappally Head Post Office and Kanjirappally Police Station are at Kurisungal Junction. Kanjirappally Fire Station is at Rani Hospital Junction.
P.W.D Rest House is in T.B Road near Kunnumbhagom Junction and Kanjirappally Village Office is at Thambalakkadu road.
Accamma Cherian was a freedom fighter from the erstwhile Travancore (Kerala), India. She was popularly known as the Jhansi Rani of Travancore. She was born on 14 February 1909 in a Nasrani family at Kanjirapally, Travancore, as the oldest daughter of Thomman Cherian and Annamma Karippaparambil. She was educated at Government Girls High School, Kanjirapally and St. Joseph's High School, Changanacherry. She earned a B.A. in History from St. Teresa's College, Ernakulam. After completing her education in 1931, she worked as a teacher at St. Mary's English Medium School, Kanjirapally), where she later became head mistress. She worked in this institution for about six years, and during this period she also did her L. T. degree from Trivandrum Training College. Accamma Cherian died on May 5, 1982. A statue was erected in her memory in Vellayambalam, Thiruvananthapuram. A documentary film was made on her life by Sreebala K. Menon.
was a freedom fighter who started the branch of State Congress in kanjirapally and surrounding villages. He brought in several members of his immediate family and friends including Rosamma Punnoose, later a Communist MLA, her husband P.T Punnoose and Communist M P. While Accamma Cherian after her heroic confrontation with the Diwan's police chief was nominated as. the first MLA in the free Travancore State, K.J.Thomas was the first elected member. He fought a tough close battle to defeat the congress candidate. His term lasted two years, as the assembly was dissolved. In the next election his nephew and protege defeated him, running as Congress Candidate and him as a Praja Socialist at the request of venerable Pattom Thanu Pillai the father of Modern Kerala, and his mentor. K.J. Thomas also established a great Vayanashala for the city he grew up in and love, with the help of many friends and relatives. He donated this library to the Panchayat when he retired from politics.. He was the prime most leader of Congress party mush respected and popular speaker. His reading room conducted annual cultural and sports events that were famous. He died in December 1994. His 100 birth anniversary was celebrated by the officers of his second library and at Mannarkad on Onam day 2013.Sree Sivadasa Menon a former minister presided.
Official Facebook Page
Hospitals, banks, shops
- Government General Hospital Kunnumbhagom Junction Kanjirappally. 2 km from Kanjirappally town.
- Kadamappuzha Hospital, Puthanangadi Kanjirappally.
- Rani Hospital Kanjirappally.
- St.Joseph's Eye Hospital Kanjirappally.
- Kokad's Hospital Kanjirappally.
- Mary Matha Hospital Kanjirappally.
- Government Veterinary Hospital, Thambalakkadu road. Kanjirappally.
- Mary Queens Mission Hospital, 26th Mile Junction Kanjirappally.
- The Highrange Hospital, Parathodu Kanjirappally.
- Santhinikethan Hospital, Court Junction Kanjirappally.
- State Bank of Travancore Main Branch. Chacko Mukadans road Kanjirappally.
ATM 1: Near to Bank. ATM 2: Petrol Pumb.
- State Bank of India. Thambalakkadu road Kanjirappally.
ATM: Near to Bank.
- South Indian Bank. Near Mini Civil Station Kanjirappally.
ATM: Near to Bank.
- ICICI Bank. Thambalakkadu road Kanjirappally.
ATM: Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
ATM: Opposite of South Indian Bank Kanjirappally.
- Canara Bank. Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally.
- Bank of Baroda. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Indian Overseas Bank.Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kottayam District Bank. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kanjirappally Service Cooperative Bank. Puthanangadi Kanjirappally.
Evening and Morning Branch at Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kanjirappally Central Service Cooperative Bank . Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Arabian Jewellery. Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Edimannikkal Jewellery. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Madukkakkuzhy Jewellery. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- G-Gold Jewellery. Iron Bridge Kanjirappally.
- Joscos Jewellery. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Anakkallumkal Jewellery. Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Pulpel Textiles. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Beemas Textiles. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- DCB Cottons. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Centur, Bombay Dying. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kerala Textiles. Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Seemas Wedding Centre. Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Allen and Habour Opticals. Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Edimannikkal Opticals. Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally.
- Sony Electronics. Near Mini Civil Station Kanjirappally.
- Metro Foot Fashions. Near G-Gold, Kanjirappally.
- Store24, Kunnumbhagom Junction Kanjirappally.
- Supplyco Maveli Store. Puthanangadi Junction Kanjirappally.
- Janatha Department Store. Puthanangadi Junction Kanjirappally
- St Antony's Public School Anakkal, Kanjirappally
- AKJM Public School, Kanjirappally.
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School Kanjirappally.
- St. Dominic's Higher Secondary School Kanjirappally.
- St. Joseph's Public School and Junior College, Kunnumbhagam Kanjirappally.
- Mumtaz Memorial MYCA School Kanjirappally.
- Alfeen Public School, 26th mile Kanjirappally.
- St. Ephrem's HighSchool, Chirakkadavu Kanjirappally.
- Assumption High School Palampra Kanjirappally.
- St.Joseph's L.P School Velichiyani.
- Government Higher Secondary School Kanjirappally.
- Infant Jesus Public School Kanjirappally.
- John Joseph Murphy Memorial Higher Secondary School.
- N.H.A.U.P. School.
- 8 Government L P School Thampalakkad, established 1910.
- Assaf Islamic Model School(for Islamic Education), Edakunnam P.O, Kanjirappally
- Amal Jyothi College of Engineering Koovappally, Kanjirappally - 5 km from Kanjirappally town.
- Tronix Engineering Institute, Kanjirappally.
Arts and science colleges
- College of Applied Science (under IHRD) Petta Junction, Kanjirappally.
- St Dominic's College, 27th Mile Kanjirappally.
- St Antony's College( Hotel Management, Fashion Designing, Arts and Science)
Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally. Kovilkkadavu Kanjirappally.
- St Alphonsa CS College for Company Secretaries, T.B road Kanjirappally.
- Grand Opera Theatre Kanjirappally. Kurisungal Junction.
- Baby Theatre Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally.
- Government Higher Secondary School Stadium Kunnumbhagom Junction Kanjirappally is one of the biggest Stadiums for Cricket matches and other Main Sports Events in the Taluk.
- St. Dominic's College Stadium, Parathodu Kanjirappally.
- AKJM Public School Stadium Kanjirappally.
- The Hotel Elegance Kanjirappally Kurisungal Junction, is the largest Hotel in Kanjirappally.
- The Hotel Hilltop Kanjirappally Kurisungal Junction.
- Queens Restaurant Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kottaram Restaurant Puthanangadi Junction Kanjirappally.
- Hotel Hilda. Bus Stand Junction Kanjirappally.
- Hotel Guest. Puthanangadi Junction Kanjirappally.
- Hotel Swaagath. Iron Bridge Kanjirappally.
- Hotel Thoufeeq. Bus Stand, Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Kottaram Bakers. Bus Stand, Kurisungal Junction Kanjirappally.
- Ameen Bakery, Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- -Anns Bakery,Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Karamayil Tourist Home, Bus Stand, Kanjirappally.
- Pulimoottil Arcade Lodge, Petta Junction Kanjirappally.
- Fabees Auditorium, Rani Hospital Junction Kanjirappally.
- KMA Hall, Kovilkkadavu Kanjirappally.
- Maha Jubilee Hall, St.Dominics Cathedral Kanjirappally.
- Pastoral Central Hall, St.Dominic's Cathedral Kanjirappally.
- MYCA Auditorium Kanjirappally.
- Grama Panchayat Town Hall Kanjirappally.
- Members Club Auditorium Kanjirappally.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kanjirappally.|