Kankakee Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
Location in Kankakee County
Kankakee County's location in Illinois
|Established||March 12, 1855|
|• Supervisor||Larry Enz|
|• Total||18.45 sq mi (47.8 km2)|
|• Land||17.97 sq mi (46.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.48 sq mi (1.2 km2) 2.60%|
|Elevation||610 ft (186 m)|
|• Density||1,533.3/sq mi (592.0/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0429194|
Kankakee Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 27,558 and it contained 11,219 housing units. This township has the smallest area in the county, but is second largest in population.
Kankakee Township was formed from a portion of Bourbonnais Township on March 12, 1855.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 18.45 square miles (47.8 km2), of which 17.97 square miles (46.5 km2) (or 97.40%) is land and 0.48 square miles (1.2 km2) (or 2.60%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Kankakee (northeast three-quarters)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Bourbonnais Township (north)
- Aroma Township (east)
- Ganeer Township (east)
- Otto Township (southwest)
- Limestone Township (west)
The township contains these four cemeteries: Mound Grove, Mount Calvary, Old State Hospital and State Hospital.
Airports and landing strips
- Benoit Airport
- Kankakee Valley Airport (north quarter)
- Riverside Medical Center Heliport
- Saint Marys Hospital Heliport
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Office is located at 187 South Schuyler Avenue, Suite 402, Kankakee, IL 60901.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 40
- Herscher Community Unit School District 2
- Kankakee School District 111
- "Kankakee Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.