|Developer(s)||The Kannel Group|
|Stable release||1.4.4 / August 1, 2014|
Kannel Software License(similar to the Apache License)
In computing, Kannel is an open source WAP gateway. It provides the essential part of the WAP infrastructure as open source software to everyone so that the market potential for WAP services, both from wireless operators and specialized service providers, will be realized as efficiently as possible.
The Kannel project was founded by Wapit Ltd. in June, 1999. Wapit no longer exists and the project is coordinated by the members of the Kannel Group which include the wireless business industry companies 3G LAB Ltd. (UK), Wapme Systems AG (DE), ANAM (IE) and Global Networks Inc. (CH) among other individual developers and contributors. The Kannel Group is in the process of forming a legal body for the Kannel Project, the Kannel Software Foundation (KSF). As of 2004[update] ANAM has retired from supporting Kannel, and in 2006 also Wapme Systems has stopped its business operations.
The project development coordination is led by The Kannel Group, with Stipe Tolj, Andreas Fink and Alexander Malysh as chairmen. Various other individual developers around the world contribute code and file problem-reports.
- "The Kannel Software License, Version 1.0". The Kannel Group. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- "Back with the WAP". The Register.
- "3G Lab gathers 3m in second round funding - 05/06/2001". Electronics Weekly. 2001-06-05. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Whisnu Budhysantika (2007-06-01). "SDA Asia Magazine". Sda-asia.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Lander, Alice (2007-03-21). "The signs of Ghana's tech success". BBC News. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "WAPit's scrapped it". The Register.