Kannur International Airport
|Kannur International Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Location||Mattanur, Kerala, India|
Kannur International Airport is expected to be operational by 2015.The department is hoping to conclude test flights by December 2015 and commercial flight operations commencing by April 2016.
The Government of Kerala initiated planning for Kannur International Airport in 1998. Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (KINFRA) was appointed to undertake feasibility studies, which were submitted to the Government of India in 2005. The proposal was approved in principle by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in February 2008.
On 9 August 2012, STUP consultants was selected as the project consultant after submitting a winning bid of 145 million. On 3 September 2012, Kannur International Airport Ltd (KIAL) announced that it had issued a show-cause notice STUP Consultants. KIAL stated that the consultant had violated Request for Proposal (RFP) conditions. Mir Projects and Consultants, who had bid earlier bid for the consultancy contract, moved the Kerala High Court seeking termination of the contract on the grounds that STUP Consultants and Darashaw was a blacklisted company, and blacklisted companies were not eligible according to the project tender. KIAL subsequently stated that the reply to the show-cause notice was unconvincing and that STUP Consultants was guilty of violating the tender requirements. The company was found to have been blacklisted by the Punjab Government in 2007. The order was set aside by the Punjab and Haryana High Court but the company was blacklisted again in 2009. The contract was terminated and KIAL announced that it would call for new bids at a later date. KIAL's decision to terminate the consultancy agreement with STUP Consultants was uphelf by the Kerala High Court on 1 November 2012. Justice T.R. Ramachandran Nair dismissed the writ petition filed by STUP and observed that he did not find any reason to interfere with the KIAL's decision.
In the KIAL director board meeting on 15 November 2012, a new project consultant - a consortium led by the Hong-Kong-based AECOM Asia Private Ltd. and including AECOM India Private Ltd. and CRISIL - was appointed. They won the consultancy by bidding 138 million.
In January 2013, KIAL floated a Request for Qualification (RFQ) document to determine the eligible firms for the detailed designing, earthworks and concrete works of the airport. The value of the tender is 7 billion and covers the detailed designing, engineering, procurement and construction of earth work and pavements for the runway, basic strips, turning pads, taxiways, apron, access roads, drainage system, related retaining structures, formation platforms for landside facilities and design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of airfield ground lighting system, visual aids for navigation, and bird hazard reduction system.The response to the RFQ by vendors was lodged by 14 February 2013.
Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL)
Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL) is a public limited company set up by the Government of Kerala to build and operate Kannur International Airport. The company was registered in December 2009 as a private limited company and converted into a public limited one in August 2010. The land after acquisition will be transferred to the company, which is implementing the airport project. The paid up capital of the company has been contributed by the government of Kerala and the public sector undertaking of the government, Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC). The registered office of the company is at Thiruvananthapuram.
The airport will come up in an area of 2,500 acres (1,000 ha) acres about 25 km from Kannur. 1,600 acres (650 ha) has already been acquired.
The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) submitted the detail project report in May 2012 and in October 2013 L&T was chosen to construct the Runway. The construction work commenced in November 2013 The airport is to be built at Moorkhanparamba area near Mattannur Municipality. The Airport will have a runway length of 3,400 m (11,200 ft). The orientation of the runway is 07/25, which permits obstacle free approach. Passenger traffic at the airport is expected to be a million international and 300,000 domestic passengers annually. Construction of the runway was expected to start by the end of 2012.
The proposed equity structure of the company is as follows:
- 26% by the state government, in the form of land
- 23% for the state-owned public sector organisations
- 2% for government companies
- 49% by small investors and institutional investors
With the operationalisation of the Kannur airport by 2015, Kerala will be the only state in the country to have four international airports.
Infrastructure and connectivity
Kannur-Mattannur Road, a new green field road, has been planned as the main access to the airport to ensure fast and free movement of traffic. It will not have any traffic junctions, and will have provision for entry and exit ramps for joining and exiting traffic from connecting roads. More than 8 roads are to be developed for connecting to the Airport, which includes Kannur (Melechovva)-Mattannur road, Thalassery-Mattannur road, Thalassery–Anjarakandy–Airport road, Thalassery–Nadapuram Road, Karnataka Border (Koottupuzha/Makutta) – Mattannur Road, Wayanad (Mananthavadi) – Nedumpoil – Mattannur road, Payyanur/Ezhimala–Mattannur road, Thalassery–Mahe Bypass, etc. Thalassery–Mattannur road will be upgraded to 4/6 lanes, considering the availability of required land for widening. Other related roads will be widened and upgraded with high quality surfacing and constructing new bridges and culverts. Approximately, Rs.3 billion are expected as the cost for the development of access roads to the Airport.
Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) estimates that 31.99 billion (US$530 million) will be required to build the Kannur International Airport. The cost includes associated projects like shopping malls, convention centres and township for CISF personnel manning the facility. 13.91 billion (US$230 million) will have to be spent in the first phase, 3.63 billion (US$60 million) in the second phase and 14.44 billion (US$240 million) in the third phase of the project.
According to a detailed project report prepared by CIAL, in 2015, 610,000 domestic passengers, and 1.32 million international passengers are expected to use the airport.
The number of passenger estimated to use the airport in 2021 is 2.94 million. Number of international passengers are expected to be 2.03 million and domestic passengers will be 0.91 million.
- List of airports in India
- List of international airports in India
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (India)
- Airports Authority of India (AAI)
- Kannur District
- "Airport Project". Kannur International Airport. 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "Kannur Airport". Kannur Airport. 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Vinson Kurian (2012-09-07). "Kannur airport consultancy contract cancelled; fresh bids to be called | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Show-cause notice to Kannur airport project consultant | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2012-09-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur Airport consultancy contract scrapped, HC told". Ibnlive.in.com. 2012-09-09. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- K. C. Gopakumar (2012-11-01). "Court upholds Kannur airport consultant’s termination | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur airport to be operational by 2015 - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-11-17. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "‘Kannur airport in three years’ | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2012-12-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- S. Anil Radhakrishnan (2012-11-26). "Airport consultant reviewing report". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur International Airport: tender process in place - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "KIAL to float Rs 700-cr tender | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur airport to make profit in sixth year of operation - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL)". Kannurairport.org. 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Kannur airport: Work on runway to start this year, IBN Live News". Ibnlive.in.com. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Rs 3,199 crore required for construction of Kannur international airport - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "International passengers to outnumber domestic ones at proposed Kannur airport - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.