Kanpur district (Kanpur Nagar District) is one of the districts of the Uttar Pradesh state of India. It is a part of Kanpur division and its district headquarters is Kanpur. Due to increase in population of Kanpur District, for proper administration it has been divided into two. The term Kanpur refers to the combination of Kanpur Nagar District and Kanpur Dehat District. This article explains Kanpur Nagar District.
Kanpur District was divided into two district namely Kanpur-nagar and Kanpur-Dehat in year 1977. Reunited again in year 1979. Again separated in year 1981.
Cities and Towns 
Kanpur Urban District 
Important cities and towns of Kanpur Nagar are:
- North Kanpur - Bithoor, Mandhana, Kalyanpur,
- West Kanpur - Rawatpur, HBTI, IITK, Moti Jheel, Panki
- East Kanpur - Jajmau, Chakeri
- South Kanpur -Govind Nagar, Kidwai Nagar, Naubasta, Barra, Yashoda Nagar, Hanspuram, Shyam Nagar, Ghatampur, Jarauli, Damodar Nagar, Koyla Nagar, Tatya Tope Nagar
- Central Kanpur-Kanpur Downtown, Civil Lines, Kanpur Cantonment, Nawabganj, Kanpur, Generalganj, Swaroop Nagar, Anwarganj, Gumti, Parade, Colonelganj, Bekanganj, Patkapur
- Kanpur Rural-Bilhaur, Shivrajpur, Chobepur, Bithoor
Kanpur Rural District 
Important cities and towns of Kanpur Dehat are:
According to the 2011 census Kanpur district has a population of 4,572,951, roughly equal to the nation of Costa Rica or the US state of Louisiana. This gives it a ranking of 32nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,449 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,750 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 9.72%. Kanpur Nagar has a sex ratio of 852 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 81.31%.
||Area (km sq.)
||2011/2001 (Provisional figures)
||Includes Kanpur Cantonment and Chakeri
||Northern Railway Colony
With a literacy rate of 81.31 per cent, Kanpur Nagar district has the highest literacy rate amongst the districts of Uttar Pradesh. There are top class Educational Institutes & world famous Green Park (Cricket Ground).
Coordinates: 26°27′36″N 80°19′48″E / 26.46000°N 80.33000°E