Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority
|Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority|
Great Seal of the State of Kansas
|Formed||July 1, 1997|
|Headquarters||714 S.W. Jackson Street
|Agency executive||Terri Williams, Deputy Secretary|
|Parent agency||Kansas Department of Corrections|
|Website||Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority|
The Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority (JJA) is a state agency of Kansas, headquartered in Suite 300 of the 714 S.W. Jackson St. building in Topeka. The agency, which began on July 1, 1997, is a cabinet level criminal justice agency. The JJA operates juvenile correctional facilities. In 1996 the Kansas Legislature had passed the Juvenile Justice Reform Act, stipulating that only the most chronic, serious, and violent juvenile delinquents are sent to hardware secure facilities.
The Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex, with an expected occupancy period in March 2004, is located in Topeka. The East division is for boys, while the West division is for Girls. The west side, with capacity for 30 children, opened on the grounds of the former Topeka Youth Center on August 19, 2009.
The Larned Juvenile Correctional Facility (LJCF), a 132,000 square feet (12,300 m2) medium security facility, is located in unincorporated Pawnee County, near Larned. Its residents take on-site classes taught by Westside High School of the Ft. Larned School District (USD #495). In 1971 the 30 bed Adolescent Rehabilitation Unit opened at the Larned State Hospital (LSH). In 1982 the juvenile facility separated from LSH; today it is LCJF.
The Beloit Juvenile Correctional Facility, located in Beloit, opened in 1890 as the Girls Industrial School (GIS). Throughout time the facility was known as the Girls Industrial School, the Beloit Youth Center, and the Beloit Juvenile Correctional Facility. On August 19, 2009, Beloit closed.
- "Central Office Contact Information." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- "Welcome to the JJA Home Page." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- "Larned Juvenile Correctional Facility." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- "Images_TJCFrenderingindex.jpg." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- "Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex East - Male." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- "Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex West - Female." Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- CEA Directory for Correctional Educators. Correctional Education Association, 1999. 6. "Beloit Juvenile Correctional Facility 1720 N. Hersey Beloit, KS."
- Urquhart, Judith and Murray Cullen. National Juvenile Detention Directory, 2003-2005. American Correctional Association, 2003. 102. "PO Box 459, 1900 N 2nd St, Atchison, KS 66992" ISBN 1-56991-208-4, ISBN 978-1-56991-208-9.
- Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority
- "Beloit Juvenile Correctional Facility." Beloit Area Chamber of Commerce