Kanthapuram A. P. Aboobacker Musalyar
|Kanthapuram A. P. Aboobacker Musliyar (شيخ ابوبكر أحمد)|
22 March 1939 |
Kanthapuram, Kozhikode District, Kerala, India.
|Residence||[kanthapuram,near poonoor [Kozhikode district|
|Occupation||Religious Leader ,
General Secretary, All India Sunni Jam-Iyyathul Ulema.
|Part of a series on|
||This article has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (November 2013)|
Kanthapuram A. P. Aboobacker Musliyar (Arab world known as: sheikh Aboobacker Ahmad (شيخ ابوبكر أحمد)), (born on 22 March 1939) is the leader and scholar of one of the traditionalist Sunni Muslims (shafi) in Kerala, India. Usthad Shaikh Aboobackar bin Ahmad is the General Secretary of the All India Muslim Scholars Association and founder and Vice Chancellor of Jamia Markazu Ssaquafathi Ssunniyya (Sunni Cultural Centre), Karanthur, Kozhikode, Kerala. He is also chief patron of the Sunni Youth Society and General Secretary, Jamiat Ulema (Kerala) Kanthapuram is a scholar, orator, writer, organizer, educationist and fore-fighter of social revivalism.
Books and literary works
As a writer in Arabic, Urdu and Malayalam in the leading journals, Kanthapuram has authored some scholarly studies. He is well conversant in Arabic, English, Urdu, Tamil and Malayalam.
To name some of the books written by him are:
- Thoughts of the Muslim World.
- An Introduction to the Study of Islam.
- The Hajj
- The American Diary.
- The Holy Prophets
- Congregational Prayer in Islam
- Women and the Friday Prayer
- Thareeqat- A Study
- Ismathul Ambiya (Arabic)
- Idhharul Farahi Va Ssuroor (Arabic)
- Assiyasathul Islamiyya (Arabic)
- Thaleemul Aqabir (Arabic)
- Al Ithibaau Wal Isthidaau (Arabic)
- Al Wahdathal Islamiyya (Arabic)
- Riyaalu Twalibeen (Arabic)
- Failaanul Musalsila (Arabic)
Award and facilitations
Proposed mosque to store relics of Prophet
A mosque is being built in Kozhikkode under the patronage of Kanthapuram, named Masjide Asaar, this will also have an Islamic Museum to keep a strand of hair that has been alleged to be that of Muhammad and other holy remains, According to him, it was Shaikh Ahmad Al Khazraji, son of Shaikh Muhammed Al Khazraji, former Minister of Endowments and Islamic Affairs, United Arab Emirates,.. There was some controversy as the rival sunni faction in Kerala, challenged the authenticity of the relic said to be that of Prophet Mohammed.Those opposing the relic are of the view that there is a need for sanad (names of owners of the relic leading up to prophet's era) for something to be considered as relic and they say that the sanad currently shown is fabricated.
Controversial remarks about women's liberties
Kanthapuram had several occasions expressed highly conservative opinion about women's liberties. He had said "It is a fact that men are superior to women", "There is no need for women to travel much","Women should not interact with other men", and "Women should wear Pardah while leaving the house."     He had supported lowering the minimum legal age for marriage for Muslim women under Indian law. A group of Muslim women burned his effigy for his comments in support of reducing the legal marriage age for Muslim women. 
- "The 500 Most Influential Muslims : 2011". Gwu.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "HRD panel to oversee RTE rollout". The Times Of India. 26 June 2010.
- Updated Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:27 AM IST (2013-11-13). "Home | Muslim |". Manorama Online. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "The Leader". Kanthapuram. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Mahaboob Kakkad. "Sheikh Aboobacker Bin Ahmad Home Page". Kanthapuram.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Gulf NRIs to build India's biggest mosque in Kozhikode". The Times Of India. 10 August 2011.
- "India's biggest mosque will cost 40 crores". Ndtv.com. 2011-02-09. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- [dead link]
- "Coming soon: India's biggest mosque in Kerala - Rediff.com News". Rediff.com. 2011-02-09. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Kozhikode (Kerala), Jan 30, (IANS):. "Model of India's biggest mosque unveiled". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "India's biggest mosque to be built in Kozhikode". News.in.msn.com. 2011-02-09. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Kerala News - പുരുഷന് സ്ത്രീയുടെ മേലുള്ള ആധിപത്യം വസ്തുത-കാന്തപുരം - India, World News - Mathrubhumi Newspaper Edition". Mathrubhumi.com. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "സ്ത്രീകള് അധികം യാത്ര ചെയ്യേണ്ട; ആധിപത്യം പുരുഷനാണെന്നും കാന്തപുരം". keralaonlinenews.com. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Asianet News - അധികം സഞ്ചരിക്കേണ്ട ആവശ്യമൊന്നും സ്ത്രീകള്ക്കില്ല-കാന്തപുരം". Asianetnews.tv. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "സ്ത്രീ വിരുദ്ധ ഫത്വകളുമായി കാന്തപുരം വീണ്ടും രംഗത്ത്". Janmabhumi Daily. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- S.R. Praveen (2013-06-30). "Muslim women protest stand of religious leaders". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-11-26.