For information on the "Kanungu tragedy," see Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God.
Kanungu Town Council
|Elevation||4,300 ft (1,310 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Kanungu is located approximately 420 kilometres (260 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The nearest town from Kanungu is Rukungiri, located 27 kilometres (17 mi), on a dirt road, northeast of Kanungu. The coordinates of the town are:0°53'49.0"S, 29°46'32.0"E (Latitude:-0.896950; Longitude:29.775556).
The 2002 national population census estimated the population of the town at about 12,900. The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of Kanungu at 15,200 in 2010. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Kanungu at 15,600.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within Kanungu or near its borders:
- The headquarters of Kanungu District Administration
- The offices of Kanungu Town Council
- Kanungu Central Market - The largest market selling fresh produce in the town.
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- Kanungu Power Station - A 6.6 MW hydroelectric power station, also referred to Ishasha Power Station.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala and Kanungu With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Kanungu And Rukungiri With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Kanungu Town At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Kanungu In 2002, 2010 And 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Baraire, Patson (7 November 2010). "Kanungu Gets Its Second Commercial Bank". New Vision. Retrieved 7 June 2014.