|Nickname(s): Ga Maila a bobela|
|Elevation||1,306 m (4,288 ft)|
|Time zone||Central Africa Time (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC+2)|
|Geographical area code||54X|
Kanye is a town located in southern Botswana. It is the administrative center of the Southern District. Kanye is the original Bangwaketse village; Bangwaketse is one of the biggest tribes in Botswana. Kanye is on of the oldest major centers in Botswana, founded by European settlers in 1853. It is currently the capital of the Bangwaketse tribe whose King is King Malope II son of Seepapitso IV. Kanye is located in the mountainous region of Southern Botswana. It is bordered by Moshupa, Lobatse, Jwaneng and is a 45-minute drive from Gaborone, the capital city of Botswana. The town is served by Kanye Airport.
The town is mentioned in the book Cherub: Guardian Angel.
An 80 minute documentary on the Bangwaketse royal family was shot in Kanye in 2003-2005: "The Queen's Courtyard".
Notable Bangwaketse from Kanye
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2013)|
- Quett Masire - Former President of Botswana
- King Seepapitso IV-former Botswana ambassador to China and former leader of House of Chiefs
- Archibald Mogwe - A Botswana foreign minister.
- Kentse Nchi Rammidi - Kanye North MP and Local Government Assistant Minister
- Morulaganyi Kgasa- Author of Thanodi ya Setswana (The Setswana Dictionary)
- "Kanye, Botswana Page". Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- "2011 Census". Archived from the original on 11 January 2013.
- Botswana Telecommunications Authority (2009-09-11), "Botswana (country code +267)" (DOC), National Numbering Plans (International Telecommunication Union), archived from the original on 2009-12-27, retrieved 2009-12-27
- eva heldmann filmproduktion
- "Prisons and Rehabilitation." (Archive) Government of Botswana. Retrieved on 26 March 2013.
|This Botswana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|