Korg Kaoss Pad KP3
|Memory||2 memory banks|
|Keyboard||none - XY-pad|
The Kaoss Pad's touchpad can be used to control its internal effects engine, which can be applied to a line-in signal or to samples recorded from the line-in. Effects types include pitch shifting, distortion, filtering, wah-wah, tremolo, flanging, delay, reverberation, auto-panning, gating, phasing, and ring modulation.
The Kaoss Pad can also be used as a MIDI controller, with the x- and y-axis positions of a finger on its pad being output via a MIDI out connection as two continuous controller streams. The sum of the x and y positions can also be outputted as a third continuous controller stream.
The original model, released in 1999, is the KP1 Kaoss Pad. Korg has since released updated versions of the Kaoss Pad: the KP2, with a number of new features; the KPE1 Kaoss Pad Entrancer, a Kaoss pad that can process both sound and video; and the KP3, which began shipping in October 2006.
In the spring of 2007, Korg released a newer version of the Kaoss Pad, entitled the mini-KP. This new Kaoss Pad was based on the KP3, using many of the same essential elements. As the name suggests, the mini-KP is a smaller size version of its big brother, the KP3. The mini-KP offers 100 effects/programs and two memory banks. It may be powered by 4 AA batteries so that users can fully utilize the portability of the mini-KP. However, the mini-KP does not have MIDI output, and its touchpad does not have a display.
Korg unveiled a new Kaoss Pad, the Kaoss Pad Quad, during Winter NAMM 2011. It is able to process four effects at once, though it does not have MIDI output.
- Nigel Ward- (Psychedelic Warlords, Nik Turner, Captain Starfighter & the Lockheeds)Live use.
- Brian Eno used a chain of three Kaoss pads on his 2005 album, Another Day on Earth.
- Matt Bellamy of Muse has XY Pads similar to the ones in Kaoss Pads built into some of his guitars which he uses as midi controllers to control a KP2 while playing guitar (similar to that of http://kaosspad.blogspot.com).
- Carl Bell, formerly of Fuel, used the original Kaoss Pad in his live guitar rig from the 2000 "Something Like Human" tour until his departure from the band.
- Mount Kimbie use Kaoss pads during live performances, notably Dominic Maker.
- Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead uses a Kaoss Pad on live performances of "Everything In Its Right Place". He samples Thom Yorke's vocals and makes loops which he distorts and manipulates.
- Beardyman used to use the Kaoss Pad extensively; his live performances consist of nothing but his voice, sampled and modified in different ways. He was using up to five Kaoss Pads, but recently converted to a set of iPads with advanced music software.
- John Linnell of They Might Be Giants uses both a KP2 and KP3 in live performances and in a psychedelic improvisation feature he refers to as "The Future of Sound."
- Brian Molko of Placebo used a KP2 during live performances of "English Summer Rain".
- Roughton "Rou" Reynolds of Enter Shikari uses both KP2 and KP3 in most songs.
- Jamie Woon uses a Kaoss Pad during live performances.
- Vadim Pruzhanov of Power Metal band DragonForce uses a Kaoss Pad during live performances.
- Nels Cline of Wilco uses a Kaoss Pad during live performances.
- Gibby Haynes of Butthole Surfers uses a KP3 during live performances.
- Antye Greie uses a Kaoss Pad for most of her live sets.
- Sarah Barthel and Josh Carter of Phantogram use a Kaoss Pad each, during live performances.
- Brian Weitz of Animal Collective uses a Kaoss Pad during live performances.
- Jochen Arbeit of Einstürzende Neubauten uses a Kaoss Pad during live performances.
- Russel Lissack of Bloc Party uses a KP3 during live performances (Letter to My Son).
- Dday One uses a mini-KP during live performances.
- Drew Shirley of Switchfoot uses a Kaoss Pad during live performance.
- Hifana, the Japanese Breakbeat Unit uses Kaoss pads 2 and 3 in their live performances and on studio albums.
- Lights (musician) uses a Korg miniKP KAOSS Pad during live performance.
- Jon Hopkins uses a chain of up to five KP3 pads during live performances.
- Yuswa Ansari aka wawa of Oh Chentaku uses microkorg and Kaoss Pad 3 on 2014 Oh Chentaku album titled "YoungHearts" and during his live Performances.
- Mohd.Alhafiz Basri@Aefeez of Papriqa also uses KP3+ during live and recording performances which was connected to Microkorg XL Plus.
- Kaossilator, a Korg synthesizer with a Kaoss pad interface
- Korg Kaoss Products site
- Korg Mini KP
- Video of Radiohead using a Kaoss Pad Live
- Kaoss Pad Guitar Mods: DIY Example of the popular mod/hack
- Hacking the Korg KP3: Tips and Tricks
- Two Cherries Instruments, Kaoss pad Guitar kits
- Uses of the KP3 in Beatboxing: Notation, Help and Tutorials[dead link]