Kareeberg Local Municipality
Location in the Northern Cape
|District||Pixley ka Seme|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Burnette Slambee|
|• Total||17,702 km2 (6,835 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.66/km2 (1.7/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||4.8%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Kareeberg Local Municipality is a local municipality in the Pixley ka Seme District Municipality district of the Northern Cape province of South Africa. The name originates from a mountain range in the region, the Karee Mountains.
|Place||Code||Area (km2)||Population||Most spoken language|
|Remainder of the municipality||31002||17,681.08||1,702||Afrikaans|
The municipal council consists of seven members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Four councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in four wards, while the remaining three are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the African National Congress (ANC) won a majority of four seats on the council. The following table shows the results of the election.
|African National Congress||2,914||2,951||5,865||61.2||4||0||4|
|Congress of the People||357||318||675||7.0||0||1||1|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- South African Languages - Place names
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Kareeberg". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Kareeberg". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
|This Northern Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|