Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan
|Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan|
U.S Army photo
February 12, 1987|
Neptune, New Jersey
|Died||August 6, 2007
|Buried at||Arlington National Cemetery,
with full Military Honors
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment
Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan (born 12 February 1987 in Neptune, New Jersey, died 6 August 2007 in Baqouba, Iraq) was a Muslim-American U.S. Army Specialist who died in Operation Iraqi Freedom. He received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart for his service. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
The son of Feroze Khan of New Jersey and Elsheba Khan of Maryland, Khan was a 2005 graduate from Southern Regional High School in the Manahawkin section of Stafford Township, New Jersey. Khan was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), based in Fort Lewis, Washington. According to the Gannett News Service, he was "spurred by the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center [and] wanted to show that not all Muslims were fanatics and that many, like him, were willing to lay their lives down for their country, America. He enlisted immediately after graduation and was sent to Iraq in July 2006." Khan, along with three other soldiers, were killed when a bomb exploded while they were clearing a house. He was 20 years old. He was promoted posthumously to the rank of Corporal.
His service was cited during a 19 October 2008 interview on Meet the Press with general Colin Powell. In particular, Powell referred to a photograph in The New Yorker which showed Khan's mother by his gravestone in Arlington National Cemetery. Powell said Khan's example refutes the anti-Muslim sentiment present in the Republican campaign during the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, namely that being Muslim disqualifies a person from being a genuine, patriotic American, or that a Muslim could not become President.
- Platon (2008-09-29). "Service". The New Yorker.
- Mathur, Shruti L. (2007-08-20). "Blast kills Jersey Shore GI". Gannett News Service.
- "Powell endorses Obama for president: Republican ex-secretary of state calls Democrat ‘transformational figure’". MSNBC. 2008-10-19. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "Meet the Press' transcript for October 19, 2008". MSNBC. 2008-10-19. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- Swerdlick, David (2008-10-20). "'I'll Be Voting for Sen. Barack Obama.' Powell's endorsement repudiates both Bush and McCain and could drive undecideds into the Obama column". TheRoot.com.
- Tumulty, Karen (2008-10-19). "Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan". Time Magazine (Swampland blog).