After training and working as a nurse for most of her adult life, she graduated from the University of the Sunshine Coast with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2005, in creative writing. Her first novel The Anatomy of Wings was originally published in 2008, by the University of Queensland Press, and has since been published in the U.S.A., the United Kingdom and Canada.
Awards and nominations
- 2008 - Commonwealth Writers' Prize (Best First Book in the South East Asia and South Pacific Region) for The Anatomy of Wings
- 2008 - Dobbie Encouragement Award for The Anatomy of Wings
- 2006 - Queensland Premier's Literary Award (Best emerging author)
- The Anatomy of Wings (2008) ISBN 978-0-7022-3616-7
- Catherine Taylor (11 April 2009). "The Anatomy of Wings". The Guardian.
- Luise Toma (19 August). "Fiction: The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee". MC Reviews. Check date values in:
- Fiction: The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee, MC Reviews,