Her works include The White Room published in 1996 by Yorkshire Art Circus; Company of Liars published in 2008 by Delacorte Press; and The Owl Killers, published in 2009 by Michael Joseph. The Gallows' Curse was published by Penguin Books in March 2011.
She has worked as a writer and editor on a number of cross-cultural books including "Poems of Cultural Diversity" and "Cinders in the Wind". 
Stand alone novels
- The White Room (1996)
- Company of Liars (2008)
- The Owl Killers (2009)
- The Gallows Curse (2011)
- The Falcons of Fire and Ice (2012)
- The Sacred Stone (2010)
(Written with Bernard Knight, Ian Morson, Susanna Gregory and Philip Gooden)
- Hill of Bones (2011)
- "The White Room", was short listed for The Authors’ Club Best First Novel Award.
- "Company of Liars" was chosen as a Waterstone Book-of-the-Year
- "The Owl Killers" was a 2009 Shirley Jackson Award finalist
- Crime Writers' Association
- Historical Novel Society
- Society of Authors
- International Thriller Writers
- "Karen Maitland". Hilaryjohnson.demon.co.uk. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "Karen Maitland". Fantasticfiction.co.uk. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Shirley, The (12 July 2010). "The Shirley Jackson Awards Blog: Karen Maitland Interview (with Charles Tan)". Shirleyjacksonawards.blogspot.com. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Raffel, Keith (19 February 2009). "The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland Archives – The Big Thrill". Thrillerwriters.org. Retrieved 25 March 2011.