Carla Gugino as Karen Sisco
|Format||Crime / Drama|
|Created by||Elmore Leonard|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Danny DeVito
|Production company(s)||Jersey Television
Eighty D Productions
|Original run||October 1 – December 11, 2003|
|Preceded by||"Karen Makes Out"
Out of Sight
Karen Sisco is a short-lived 2003 television series about a fictional United States Marshal, starring Carla Gugino in the title role. The series was created by novelist Elmore Leonard, based on a character who had appeared in several of his written works, as well as one film adaptation, 1998's Out of Sight. The series debuted on October 1, 2003 on ABC, and was canceled after seven episodes.
As a U.S. Deputy Marshal, based on Miami, Florida's Gold Coast, Karen must deal with the underbelly of South Beach nightlife and Palm Beach high life while tracking down fugitives. She also struggles to win the respect of her fellow officers. Karen occasionally gets advice from her father, a retired Miami police officer turned private investigator, who is Karen’s confidant, counselor, and confessor.
Prior to the events of the series, the character appeared in two stories:
- "Karen Makes Out", a 1996 short story, available in two collections: Murder for Love, and When the Women Come Out to Dance, and Other Stories
- Out of Sight, a 1996 novel, and 1998 film wherein she was played by Jennifer Lopez, and Marshall Sisco was played by Dennis Farina.
Karen Sisco was canceled before airing all of the finished episodes. The last three were first broadcast when the series was re-aired on the USA Network.
- "Blown Away" – October 1, 2003
- "Dumb Bunnies" – October 8, 2003
- "The One that Got Away" – October 15, 2003
- "Justice" – October 22, 2003
- "Nostalgia" – October 29, 2003
- "Dear Derwood" – November 5, 2003
- "Nobody's Perfect" – November 12, 2003
- "Dog Day Sisco" – March 31, 2004
- "No One's Girl" – April 7, 2004
- "He Was a Friend of Mine" – April 14, 2004
TV show cast and crew
- Carla Gugino as Karen Sisco
- Robert Forster as Marshall Sisco
- Bill Duke as Amos Andrews (Karen’s boss)
- Scott Frank, nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Out Of Sight, served as an executive consultant and writer.
- Jason Smilovic and Peter Lefcourt were co-executive producers and writers.
Connections to other media
Gugino appeared as a similar character in the second episode of the third season of Justified, which is also based on a work by Leonard. For legal reasons, Karen's married surname was Goodall, and it was mentioned that Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) knew her by her unmentioned maiden name. The appearance was otherwise an obvious reference to the Sisco character.
- Croatia – HRT
- France – TF1
- Poland – TVN
- United Kingdom – ITV3 & ITV1
- Asia – Star World
- Middle East – MBC Action
- Greece – Star Channel
- Macedonia – Kanal 5
- Brazil – Rede Globo
- Finland – SubTV & MTV3
- Bulgaria – bTV
- Slovenia – Kanal A
- Malaysia – Radio Televisyen Malaysia 2
- Roush, Matt (June 3, 2013). "Cancelled Too Soon". TV Guide. pp. 20 and 21
- Sepinwall, Alan (January 24, 2012). "Review: 'Justified' - 'Cut Ties': Karen Sisco, I presume?". HitFix.