कारगिल हवाई अड्डे
|IATA: none – ICAO: VI65
|Operator||Indian Air Force|
|Location||Kargil, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Elevation AMSL||9,604 ft ft / 2,927 m m|
|Coordinates||34.51936 N 076.15369 E|
|02/20||6,004 x 106 ft||1,830 x 32 m||Asphalt|
Kargil Airport is a military airfield in Kargil district 6 km away from Kargil and 210 km from Srinagar. It is one of the 4 airports in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. It was built by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) at a cost of Rupees 35 crores initially for civilian use but was transferred to the Indian Air Force (IAF) in 2003 after it was damaged in the Kargil War in 1999. The civil enclave at the airfield is managed by the State Government.
The IAF plans to convert the airport into a full fledged air force base by 2016. The Air Force uses its An-32 aircraft for an air courier service that transports civilians from Kargil to Srinagar and Jammu during the harsh winter season.
The airport is a much debated issue for local politicians as well as the public who pursue the point that the airport should be thrown open to commercial civilian services. Air Mantra became the first ever commercial company to land a civilian aircraft at the airport when it landed a 17 seater aircraft with dignitaries including Chief Minister of the state Omar Abdullah on board in January, 2012.
- Ministry of defence to run Kargil airport - DAWN.COM
- A Full-Fledged Air Base In Kargil And Its Implication For India Analysis
- Kargil to be a major Indian Air Force base
- Kargil air courier service takes off Lastupdate:- Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com
- Air courier service from Kargil begins operation - Hindustan Times
- Kargil Courier Service
- MATTERS UNDER RULE-377: Regarding Need For Early Commissioning Of ... on 22 November, 2000
- Operate air service to Kargil Akhoon to CA Minister Lastupdate:- Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com
- Civilian flight takes off from Kargil airport | Business Line
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|