|The Right Reverend
|Archbishop of Turku and Finland|
Kari Mäkinen in 2013.
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Turku|
|Installed||June 6, 2010|
January 5, 1955 |
Kari Mäkinen (born 5 January 1955 in Pori, Finland) is the archbishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. On 11 March 2010 he was elected the 14th Archbishop of Turku and Finland, and he was installed on 6 June 2010. His predecessor was Jukka Paarma. Previously Mäkinen served as vicar of Ulvila and since 2006 as Bishop of Turku.
He graduated as a Bachelor (today Master) of theology in 1979 and licentiate in 1987. After his thesis defence in 1989 he became a Doctor of Theology. He worked in the parishes of Roihuvuori and Lauttasaari, Helsinki in the years 1979-1984. After that he worked in the parishes of Länsi-Pori and Ulvila in 1989-1993. He also worked as a full-time researcher between 1984 and 1989. He was elected as the vicar of Ulvila in 1994, and remained in the position until 2005. During his years a vicar of Ulvila he simultaneously worked as assistant in the Archdiocese of Turku. He has also had several positions of trust in different organisations. In 2010 he was voted the Archbishop of Turku and Finland over his opponent on the second round of voting, Miikka Ruokanen. On 26 March 2013, he was the first Archbishop to voice public support for (civil) same-sex marriage. However he has since moderated his stance.
On October 28 2014, when the Finish Parliament narrowly approved a citizen's initiative to legalize same-sex marriages, Archbishop Kari posted on his Facebook page “I know how much this day means to the rainbow community, their loved ones and many others. I rejoice with my whole heart for them and with them,”. By late the next day, at least 8000 members of the Lutheran Church of Finland had officially resigned from the Church. 
Archbishop Mäkinen is married to hospital chaplain Eija Mäkinen. They have four children (born 1981, 1984, 1988, 1988).
- Hämärässä kypsyy aamu. Helsinki: Kirjapaja, 1986. ISBN 951-621-648-X. (collection of poems)
- Unelma jälkikristillisestä kulttuurista ja uskonnosta. Tulenkantajien oppositio kansankirkollista arvomaailmaa vastaan 1924–1930. Helsinki: Suomen Kirkkohistoriallinen Seura, 1989. ISBN 951-902-173-6.
- "Arkkipiispa tukee tasa-arvoista avioliittolakia" (in Finnish). MTV3. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kari Mäkinen.|
- Turun arkkihiippakunnan kotisivu
- Arkkipiispa Kari Mäkinen | Evl.fi
- "Kari Mäkinen - the new Archbishop of Turku and Finland" (PDF). Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
|Archbishop of Turku and Finland
2010 — present
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to Lutheranism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|