||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2014)|
Karim Rashid talks to the press at Innoprom 2012
Karim Rashid is an industrial designer and interior architect. His designs include luxury goods, furniture, lighting, surface design, brand identity and packaging. Time magazine has described him as the "most famous industrial designer in all the Americas".
Rashid's designs include the Garbo waste can, the Oh Chair for Umbra, a concept store for Giorgio Armani, manhole covers for the sewers of New York, perfume bottles for Kenzo, bobble water bobble, watches and tableware for Alessi, lighting for Artemide and products for Veuve Clicquot.
Karim has recently been selected to design several real estate developments in New York City for HAP Investments, a New York City based International investment group.
Karim’s work is featured in 20 permanent collections and he exhibits art in galleries world wide including the MoMA, Centre Pompidou, and SFMOMA. He holds honorary doctorates from the Ontario College of Art & Design, Pratt Institute and Corcoran College of Art & Design. Karim is a frequent guest lecturer at universities and conferences speaking about the importance of design in everyday life.
Awards and honors
Karim was formerly married to digital designer Megan Lang, but the couple divorced. Rashid married Ivana Rashid (née Puric) in 2008. Together they have one child, Kiva Rashid.
Karim is known for wearing all white or all pink clothing.
- 2014 Karim Rashid: From the Beginning
- 2013 Karim Rashid - Ideologija ljepote Tihomir Milovac. (in Croatian). Zagreb: Muzej Suvremene Umjetnosti, 2013
- 2012 I Protagonisti del Design: Karim Rashid. Milan: Hachette, 2012
- 2012 Sketch: Karim
- 2009 Karim Rashid Space: The Architecture Of Karim Rashid
- 2006 Design Your Self: Rethinking the Way You Live, Love, Work, and Play
- 2005 I Want To Change The World
- 2005 Digipop
- 2004 Karim Rashid: Evolution New York, NY: Universe, 2004. ISBN 978-0789311979
- 2004 Karim Rashid. San Francisco: * Marisa Bartolucci, Raul Cabra. Karim Rashid. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, ISBN 9780811842082
- 2003 International Design Yearbook 18
- 2001 I Want to Change the World. New York, NY: Universe Rizzoli, 2001. ISBN 978-0789305312
- Susan Thurston (April 17, 2013). BoConcept furniture, Smart car join hands. Tampa Bay Times. Accessed October 2013.
- Velocci, Cristina. "Office tour: Karim Rashid". http://www.timeout.com.
- Belinda Luscombe (July 02, 2001). Design: The Poet Of Plastic; Karim Rashid wants to change the world one ordinary object at a time. Time Magazine. Accessed October 2013. (subscription required) for full article.
- Caroline Ryder ([n.d.]). Karim Rashid. Swindle. Archived March 7, 2009.
- KenzoAmour Product Page at kenzousa.com
- Fairs, Marcus. "I want to change the world". http://www.theguardian.com/.
- Bernstein, Fred A. "Karim Rashid Brings Kool-Aid Colors and Curves to Manhattan Condo Buildings". http://archrecord.construction.com/. McGraw Hill Financial.
- Stone, Andrew. "10 Questions with...Karim Rashid". Interiordesign.net. Sandow.
- cityfile. "Karim Rashid". gawker.com.
- "Designboom". http://www.designboom.com/.
- Goddard, Joanna. "One Is the Loveliest Color". http://nymag.com/. New York Media LLC.