A former journalist and author, Evers-Meyer has been a member of the German Bundestag since the 2002 federal elections.
Between 2005 and 2009, Evers-Meyer – herself a mother of a child with disabilities – served as the Federal Government Commissioner for Matters relating to Disabled Persons (at the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs) in the second cabinet of Chancellor Angela Merkel. Ahead of the 2009 elections, German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier included her in his shadow cabinet of 10 women and eight men for the Social Democrats’ campaign to unseat Merkel as chancellor.
Since the 2009 federal elections, Evers-Meyer has been the SPD parliamentary group’s deputy spokesperson on defense policy. A member of the Budget Committee since the 2013 elections, she currently serves as the group's rapporteur on the budget of the Federal Ministry of Defense (BMVg). In addition, she is a member of the German delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, led by Karl A. Lamers.
In the negotiations to form a coalition government following the 2013 federal elections, Evers-Meyer was part of the SPD delegation in the working group on foreign affairs, defense policy and development cooperation, led by Thomas de Maizière and Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
In late 2014, Evers-Meyer was considered as successor of Hellmut Königshaus as Parliamentary Commissioner for the Armed Forces but withdrew her candidacy when Hans-Peter Bartels emerged as her parliamentary group’s nominee; she would have been the first woman to hold that office.
- Association of the German Army (FKW), Member of the Presidium
- EWE AG, Member of the Supervisory Board (2002-2005)
- EWE Stiftung, Member of the Board (2002-2012)
- Malte Kirchner (September 13, 2013), Karin Evers-Meyer (SPD): Einsatz für mehr Gerechtigkeit im Land Wilhelmshavener Zeitung.
- Bertrand Benoit (30 July 2009), Lagging SPD starts campaign Financial Times.
- Veit Medick and Markus Feldenkirchen (July 29, 2009), Germany's Election Pre-Game: Social Democrats to Announce Campaign 'Team Steinmeier' Der Spiegel.
- Thorsten Jungholt and Daniel Friedrich Sturm (July 27, 2014), Neuer Anwalt für die Soldaten der Bundeswehr Die Welt.