Karishma at a Goodearth event in Mumbai in October 2011 - unveiling luxury collection, Golkonda
26 May 1982 |
|Occupation||Model, actress, TV presenter|
|Known for||Kingfisher Calendar, Bigg Boss 6, IPL 6|
|Height||5'9" (175 cm)|
Karishma Kotak was born on 26 May 1982 in North West London, England. She did a part of her schooling from a boarding school. She said in an interview, “When I was around 9, I was really naughty, so my parents sent me to boarding school.” She later pursued a degree in Bachelor of Arts in Advertising and Marketing. Initially, she wanted to become a teacher and had enrolled for a course in teaching.
Modelling and advertisements - UK
Karishma began her modelling career at the age of 16 and worked for magazines like Just Seventeen and other projects in England. When she was around 20, she visited India and realized the huge potential that the Indian fashion & film industry had to offer. In the meantime, she continued doing projects and fashion shows in the UK & Europe, including regional campaigns. She did catalog work for brands like Toni & Guy and FCUK. In 2004, she walked the ramp for the London Fashion Week. She was also a presenter for a UK TV show, The Karisma Show, that dealt with entertainment, movies & lifestyle.
Modelling and advertisements - India
In September 2005, Karishma moved to Mumbai, India. Within 2 months of her relocation, she got selected to work with a calendar published by the United Breweries Group, the 2006 Kingfisher Calendar, which was shot in Australia by Atul Kasbekar. She said in an interview, “Doing the Kingfisher calendar is a dream for any model. All the hours in the gym and eating healthy are paying off.” This project shot her into limelight in the Indian fashion scene. She accepted several offers to do TV commercials. A celebrity management company, Matrix India Entertainment commented, “As she has an excellent complexion, she’ll be in skin and beauty product ads.”
She did TV advertisements & promotional campaigns for brands like Dove, Pond's, Wella Hair Color, Titan Xylus, Diesel, Tanishq, Saffola, Sagar Sarees, Rang Sarees, Alapatt Jewels, Kalyan Silks, Elmore, Achakottil Jewels, CMR Grand, and Sobha Wedding Galaxy As a brand ambassador for Dove, she was featured on huge billboards & hoardings in major cities across India.
In April 2012, her two TV commercials for Idea Cellular with Abhishek Bachchan started airing on TV. Karishma was next hired by VVF Limited for the television advertisement of their bathing soap bar, Jo. The ad was released to small screens in May 2012. In July 2012, her TV commercial with Salman Khan for Relaxo Footwear was released.
She also appeared in several magazines, including as the cover girl, like Vogue, FHM, Asian Woman, Maxim, OK!, Hello!, Elle, and Snoop The March–April 2008 issue of Time n Style Beauty magazine featured Karishma on its cover page, with the title "Eye, Me & Myself - Let your eyes speak". She appeared as the cover girl on FHM (India) in the April 2013 issue that captioned "IPL's hottest presenter - Karishma Kotak."
Karishma has done modelling for brands like FCUK and Ralph Lauren. She walked the ramp for the Lakme Fashion Week 2006. She has been a ramp model for Asiana Bridal Show, M.A.C. Cosmetics, Provogue, Titan Xylus launch 2006 India Fashion Street - Fashion Tour 2012 and Kochi International Fashion Week Season 2.
In January 2013, Karishma unveiled the special curtain raiser event for the Vizag Fashion Week at The Park Hotel, Visakhapatnam and was selected to be the brand ambassador of the event, which was organised by Kingfisher Ultra. At the commencement of the fashion week in February 2013, she walked the ramp as a showstopper. The project, however, led to stiff resistance from some conservative Hindu and other groups and Vishva Hindu Parishad even described those models as "terrible and disgusting wearing such skimpy dresses which had the images of Hindu gods and goddesses printed on them." Eventually the event was cancelled on its third day after Vishva Hindu Parishad lodged a complaint with the police.
Karishma has also hosted a few events, the notable among those is her hosting the 2013 Indian Premier League auction in February 2013 at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, which was broadcast live by Sony SIX. Indian cricket commentator and journalist, Harsha Bhogle also collaborated for the event sharing expertise on player and team strategies.
Karishma acted in a few music videos, the prominent of which is a 2004 music video called Me Against Myself by British singer-songwriter Jay Sean. Her next appearance in a music video was for Sonu Nigam and Sapna Mukherjee's track Madbhari, which was released in 2006. In 2007, she appeared in an English-Hindi music video titled Belly Dancing by reggae DJ Apache Indian.
Entry into films
Karishma described her initial struggle in an interview with The Times of India, "(When I shifted to Mumbai), the only person I knew in India was my aunt (father's sister). I didn't have a filmi (film related) background, so I had to start from scratch. Being alone in a new city and not knowing the language was very scary at first. I got 99% of my jobs through auditions and no one recommended me for any movie."
Karishma made her debut as an actress in the Indian film industry with the Telugu film, Shankar Dada Zindabad, which was released in July, 2007. The film is a remake of Lage Raho Munna Bhai and was received well at the box office, though it failed to make it among the top films of the year in its segment. She said in an interview, “I was extremely lucky to do my first movie in Telugu with mega star Chiranjeevi, so I was very fortunate to work with him.” Regarding her struggle with the language, she said, “I don’t speak any Telugu, but I had to learn all my lines. I think the audience liked it.” Continuing her spree with the Telugu film industry, she next acted in the film Dhyeyam, which released in December 2008, but it failed to create any hype and was declared a flop.
Karishma made her entry in Bollywood with UTV Motion Pictures’ Hindi film Season's Greetings. Though she signed for the film in July 2008, the shooting schedule got delayed and the film was released in January 2010. The film failed to do any good business. She continued experimenting with the film industry and looked forward to do a variety of roles to explore her acting skills, and this led her to do a guest appearance in a comedy horror Malayalam film, In Ghost House Inn, which was released in March 2010. The film, despite mixed reviews, did good business at the box office.
In April 2010, her next Telugu movie, Glamour, was released. Karishma said, “After Shankar Dada Zindabad, I am making a re-entry into the Telugu film industry with this movie, which is a heroine-oriented one. I am very happy in this regard." The film, however, did not get many audiences and flopped.
Karishma worked for a film titled Jo Bhi Karva Lo that is produced by Bhola Malviya and also stars Arshad Warsi and Soha Ali Khan as lead actors, with her shooting having started in January 2013. Her performance is largely considered, though vital, as a guest appearance. She said in an interview with Glamsham, "It is a fun-filled film. A hilarious thing is that the title of the film is actually inspired from one of the characters in the film, Joe B. Carvahlo." The film also features Geeta Basra, Paresh Rawal and Jaaved Jaaferi.
After getting some initial TV exposure in London doing The Karisma Show, Karishma worked as a presenter for India-related TV show known as Spa Diaries, targeted to high-end international audiences. She said, “I was so fortunate that I got to travel the whole of India and it was absolutely amazing. It was complete luxury and I was so blessed to get that job.” Continuing in the TV industry, she next worked with a travel show called It’s In. In November 2010, Karishma took part in a Telugu dance reality show called Naacho Rrey on Zee Telugu.
In October 2012, she participated in an Indian reality TV show, Bigg Boss Season 6 as a contestant on the TV Channel Colors. However, she had to make an emergency exit from the Bigg Boss house after spending nearly four weeks due to her father's demise. After leaving the show, she said in an interview with Rediff.com that she accepted the offer to do the show as her father, who had been unwell & was taken care of by Karishma, didn't want her to feel sad and wanted her to get noticed for a better career. She also said, "To be honest, I also wanted more money for my father's treatment." After about 15 days of her exit, Karishma re-entered the show on day 42. She told Network 18, "I am feeling quite okay now. This is because of my dad's blessing that Colors has given me another chance to join the show." She was voted out of the show in December 2012. Reacting about her eviction, she commented in an interview, "I would have definitely liked to stay till the end, but I can't complain. Being able to survive in the house (Bigg Boss show) for 80 odd days isn't a mean feat." She also said, "I'll remember this experience all my life. It's been very interesting and emotional at the same time." Karishma made a special appearance on the show later as a presenter on the day before the finale of the show in January 2013. Talking about the recognition she received at the show, Karsishma told The Times of India, "Work has increased and yes, life has changed in terms of opportunities that are coming my way. It has been one of the toughest emotional journeys for me but it has definitely helped my career."
Karishma presented televised show called Extraaa Innings, a post match analysis of Indian Premier League 2013 - season 6 in April–May, 2013. The show was telecast by SET Max and also featured Rochelle Maria Rao, Samir Kochhar and Gaurav Kapoor as her co-hosts. Karishma said in an interview, "Cricket is very close to every Indian's heart, so is IPL. I am definitely excited to travel all over the country, hosting the IPL and watching the matches live."
Personal life and relationships
Karishma has her roots in Gujarat, India as her father was from that state. Her immediate family lives in London and consists of her mother and a 23 years old brother named Sunny Kotak. She said in a web-interview, "I come from a big family. I've seven masis (maternal aunts), two mamas (maternal uncles) and lots of cousins. I've a lot of love around me. I don't like to argue much, and I'm a spiritual and strong person. I also like to read a lot." She is fond of travelling and watching movies. Karishma likes to stay fit by good diet, doing one hour spinning classes 5 days a week, and eating healthy. Though Karishma can speak Hindi and Gujarati quite fluently, she speaks English as her first language with a broad local London accent.
In January 2009, she was rumoured to be in a relationship with the Indian cricketer, Yuvraj Singh. A source from the film industry said, "Yuvraj Singh has been seeing Karishma Kotak for a while now. The two are often seen together at suburban hangouts and five-star hotels in Mumbai. Their relationship is going strong and both seem extremely happy with each other." When Karishma was asked about her relationship with Yuvraj, she said, “Of late, we have been hanging out a lot. We met a few months ago through a mutual friend but I can’t tell you where. We are just friends and I care a lot about him. He is a really sweet and nice guy”
Earlier, she was in a relationship with an Indian model, Niketan Madhok, whom she met in Mumbai in 2005, though the two parted ways after about two months' affair While doing a reality TV show, Bigg Boss 6, when Niketan asked her about their break up, she said, “It’s complicated.” Bigg Boss 5 contestant Pooja Bedi tweeted, "The ex couple in Bigg Boss 6 are Niketan and Karishma." On the sets of the show, actor Sanjay Dutt suggested that Karishma & Niketan used to be together.
|2007||Shankar Dada Zindabad||Jhanvi||Telugu|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Dorothy||Malayalam||Guest appearance|
|2014||Mr Joe B. Carvalho||Neena||Hindi||Released on Jan 3, 2014|
|The Karisma Show||Presenter||English|
|2012||Bigg Boss Season 6||Contestant||Hindi|
|2013||Extraaa Innings - IPL 6||Presenter||English & Hindi|
- "Vital Stats". Copyright © 2013 Karishma Kotak. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Karishma Kotak to re-enter 'Bigg Boss' house". The Indian Express. Nov 16, 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "bigg boss season 6 Contestants Karishma Kotak".
- "@karishmakotak Model, TV presenter!!!! Never Born, Never Died...have been visiting This Planet Earth since the 26th of may a few decades ago".
- Candid Confessions EP1 : Karishma Kotak. Event occurs at 5:13.
- "Karishma Kotak Profile Biography".
- "Chat - Karishma Kotak - Video Transcript". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
- DESHMUKH, ASHWINI (Jan 14, 2009). "Yuvi’s new ‘friend’?". TNN.
- Candid Confessions EP1 : Karishma Kotak.
- "Karishma Kotak".
- "About Karishma". Copyright © 2012 Karishma Kotak. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- dua, aarti (November 19, 2005). "Supermodels in waiting". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph.
- "Indian Actress and Models: Karishma Kotak".
- "Karishma Kotak : Calendar Girl joins Bigg Boss".
- Idea Heaven - Lie Detector.
- Idea Heaven - YouTube Movies.
- "JO Soap". jaijee3377 (on Youtube). Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7phf7BWdSNI. Missing or empty
- "karishma kotak". Karishma Kotak (on Twitter). Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Karishma Kotak". eBharat/VinayRas Infotech. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Bigg Boss 6: Kingfisher calendar to Telugu 'Munna Bhai', the Karishma Kotak you didn't know".
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuLkxGZ5ps. Missing or empty
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARDSGZ63GrI. Missing or empty
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6wMlqJ8H8. Missing or empty
- "Hey guys in vizag for the kingfisher ultra fashion week press conference!". yfrog. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Kingfisher ULTRA Vizag Fashion week kicks off in extravagant style". Bay News. Feb 2, 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- Rao, A Srinivasa (February 3, 2013). "In the name of god: VHP forces cancellation of fashion show in Visakhapatnam, says it denigrates Indian culture and Hindu gods". Living Media India Limited. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Pepsi IPL 2013 player auction to be telecast live & exclusive on Sony SIX". Best Media Info. February 1, 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Singh, Pratima (7 Mar 2013). "Manali Jagtap, Ghana Singh showcase new collection". Mahakaal News Management Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Photos - Mugdha Godse, Karishma Kotak, Sofia Hayat walk the ramp". ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8nBCmv9kM0. Missing or empty
- "Karishma Kotak Biography". Music video.
- "Mere Piya". Eros Worldwide FZ LLC. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Home / Music / Pop / M / Mere Piya". SmasHits.com. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaKC9e5sgxY. Missing or empty
- Pampana, Leena Shri (Jan 9, 2013). "I'm back to Tollywood: Karishma Kotak". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "2007 : Year of a multi-coloured mosaic in South".
- "Karishma Kothak – Photos And Info".
- KBR, Upala (October 5, 2009). "Pregnant Amrita Arora given an expulsion from Season's Greetings". Mid Day. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "In Ghost House Inn has nothing new to say". rediff.
- "In Ghost House Inn Review". March 25, 2010.
- "Malayalam Cinema - 2010 Flash Back - Block Busters of the Year 2010".
- "Glamour to disclose the dark side of film world". oneindia.com. June 12, 2009. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Shah, Kunal M (January 21, 2013). Midday http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2013/jan/210113-karishma-kotak-makes-baby-steps-in-bollywood.htm
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Karishma Kotak in Soha Ali Khan-Arshad Warsi's JO BHI KARVA LO". Glamsham.com/Fifth Quarter Infomedia Pvt. Ltd/Glamsham Editorial. January 31, 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Arshad Warsi in Goa for Joe B Carvalho shoot". The Indian Express. PTI. May 26, 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- murthy, neeraja (November 7, 2010). "Dance baby dance". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Model Karishma Kotak leaves Bigg Boss' house after father's demise". DNA. PTI. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Hedge, Rahul (November 8, 2012). "'Took up Bigg Boss as I wanted money for dad's treatment'". Rediff Movies. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Negi, Meenakshi (Nov 16, 2012). "Karishma makes a comeback!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Exclusive: Karishma is back on Bigg Boss!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss 6: Karishma Kotak leaves after mid-week evictions". Hindustan Times/ HT Media Limited. December 26, 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Aggarwal, Stuti (December 26, 2012). "I want to go on a date with Urvashi: Karishma". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Bigg Boss > > Videos Gallery > Bigg Boss 6, Full Episode 96 - Salman reveals top four finalists!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Talukdar, Taniya (Jan 29, 2013). "Calling Mr Joe. B. Carvalho: Karishma joins Arshad, Soha for shoot". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- D’Cunha, Zenia (2013-05-03). "IPL: The curse of the female reporter". india.com. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Hottest female anchors in IPL". Deccan Chronicle. 25 May 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Rochelle Maria Rao and Karishma Kotak to Spice Up IPL Extraaa Innings". IndiaTimes. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Bigg Boss Live 24X7 : Web Exclusive". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Karishma Kotak’s other side you seldom get to see". Can-India News/WORLD MEDIA CORP. March 16, 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Karishma Kotak back in Bigg Boss". India Today. November 16, 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Singh, Ritu V (October 25, 2012). "Bigg Boss 6: Niketan, Karishma's relationship status, it's complicated". IBN live. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- "Bigg Boss Season-6".
- "Bigg Boss 6: Kingfisher calendar to Telugu 'Munna Bhai', the Karishma Kotak you did not know".
- Bigg Boss Season 6 Episode Episode 20 - 26th October 2012. Event occurs at 2:09.