Karl A. Roider, Jr.
Karl A. Roider, Jr. is the Louisiana State University, Thomas and Lillian Landrum Alumni Professor. Roider jointed the LSU faculty in 1968. He was appointed as the Dean of LSU's College of Arts and Sciences in December 1991 and served in this role for nine years. Roider returned to his role as a history professor.
Roider's academic specialization is in the study of the Balkans, his books include The Reluctant Ally: Austria's Policy in the Austro-Turkish War, 1737-1739 (1972), Austria's Eastern Question, 1700-1790 (1982), Baron Thugut and Austria's Response to the French Revolution (1987), and a biography of Maria Theresa of Austria.
Awards and honors
- Thomas and Lillian Landrum Alumni Professor of History
- Younger Humanist Fellow, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Fulbright Scholar
- American Philosophical Society scholar
- Ada Schools, Hall of Honor
- Commander's Award for Public Service
- Ella Schneider Hilton, Displaced Person: A Girl's Life in Russia, Germany, and America (LSU Press, 2004)
- E.M. Forster, ed., The Turkish Letters of Ogiev Ghiselin de Busberg (LSU Press, 2005)
- The Reluctant Ally: Austria’s Policy in the Austro-Turkish War, 1737-1739 (Louisiana State University Press, 1972)
- Maria Theresa (Prentice-Hall, 1973—Editor)
- Austria’s Eastern Question, 1700-1790 (Princeton University Press, 1982)
- Baron Thugut and Austria’s Response to the French Revolution (Princeton University Press, 1987)
- Louisiana State University. "Distinguished professorships". 2002-2003 General catalog 94 (1). Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Faculty & staff focus: After 46 years...". Press release from College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Louisiana State University. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Garay, Ronald (2009). The Manship School: A History of Journalism Education at LSU. Louisiana State University Press. p. 192. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Zamudio-Suarez, Fernanda (7 April 2014). "Professor’s decades-long career rich in University, world history -- Karl Roider reflects on his time at the University before retirement". The Daily Reveille (Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Louisiana State University). Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Ingrao, Charles W., and Szabo, Franz A.J., ed. (2008). "Contributors". The Germans and the East. West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University Press. p. 441. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Karl Roider, Alumni Professor". Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Ada Schools, Hall of Honor". Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Ramirez, Gabriel (16 May 2014). "LSU Professors Receive Commander's Award". Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System. Retrieved 30 December 2014.