Karl Freiherr von Lersner
|Dipl.-Ing Karl Freiherr von Lersner|
|Born||1 July 1898
Frankfurt am Main
|Died||25 January 1943
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1916 - 1943|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 537|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Dipl.-Ing Karl Freiherr von Lersner[a] [b](1 July 1898 – 25 January 1943) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Karl Freiherr von Lersner was killed on 25 January 1943 near Orel, Russia. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor and on 12 March 1943 was awarded the Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 March 1943 as Oberst and commander of Grenadier-Regiment 537 
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a title, translated as Baron, not a first or middle name. The female forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- b In German an engineer's degree is called Diplom-Ingenieur (abbreviated Dipl.-Ing.)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 237.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.