|Born||6 July 1906
|Died||25 January 1998
|Allegiance|| Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||?–1945
|Commands held||Heeres Sturm-Pionier-Brigade 627 (motorisiert)|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Karl Herzog (6 July 1906 – 25 January 1998) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Karl Herzog was captured by Soviet forces in April 1945 in Pillau and was held until 1955. He joined the Bundeswehr in 1957 and retired in 1966 as a Generalmajor.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (5 October 1939)
- 1st Class (18 June 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (25 June 1944)
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (21 August 1943)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (5 May 1944)
- Eastern Front Medal (17 November 1942)
- Knight of the Order of the Crown of Romania with Swords (15 May 1944)
- German Cross in Gold (18 May 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 17 April 1945 as Oberstleutnant and commander of Heeres Sturm-Pionier-Brigade 627 (motorisiert)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 186.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.