Karl Seglem, Sigurd Hole and Gisle Torvik
at Vossajazz 2014.
8 July 1961 |
|Genres||Jazz, traditional music|
Karl Seglem (born 8 July 1961 in Årdalstangen, Norway) is a Norwegian Jazz musician (saxophone and bukkehorn), composer and producer, known from a series of combined jazz and traditional music releases, as well as leading his own record label NorCD from 1991.
Seglem was educated on the Music program at Voss Folk High School (1978–80), followed by cooperation with Arvid Genius, «Jan Grieg Qvartet», Kenneth Sivertsen (1980–92) and Knut Kristiansen (during the 1980's) in Bergen. He also led his own Jazz band «Growl», wrote for the magazin «Jazznytt» and was politically active in Foreningen norske jazzmusikere.
He has released eight albums in his own name, and has a long lasting cooperation with Terje Isungset like in the bands Isglem and trio «Utla» where also fiddle player Håkon Høgemo contributed, resulting in many record releases. begge har resultert i flere utgivelser on his own label. He has also released two albums cooperating with the poet Jon Fosse.
Around 2000 he started experimenting with the old Norwegian instrument bukkehorn or Billy Goat Horn. He is currently the main instrumentalist playing the instrument in the world.
- 1983: Årdal Kommune´s Culture Prize
- 1998: Gammleng-prisen in open class
- 1998: Edvard Prize in the class Popular music, major work, together with Reidar Skår for TYA
- 2010: Buddyprisen
- 2012: Commissioned work Som spor at Vossajazz
- 1988: Poems For Trio (Hot Club Records)
- 1991: Sogn-A-Song (NorCD)
- 1994: Rit (NorCD)
- 1998: Spir (NorCD)
- 2002: Nye nord (NorCD)
- 2004: New north (NorCD)
- 2004: Femstein (NorCD)
- 2005: Budda og reven Singie (NorCD)
- 2005: Reik (NorCD)
- 2006: Urbs (NorCD)
- 2008: Spelferd – a playful journey DVD (NorCD)
- 2009: NORSKjazz.no (NorCD)
- 2009: Skoddeheimen (NorCD)
- 2009: Draumkvedet (NorCD)
- 2010: Ossicles (NorCD)
- 2013: NyeSongar.no (Ozella Music)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl Seglem.|
Agnes Buen Garnås
|Recipient of the Gammleng-prisen Open class
|Recipient of the Buddyprisen