Kloss in 2011 for Anna Sui
|Born||Karlie Elizabeth Kloss
August 3, 1992
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Hair color||Dark blonde|
|Measurements||(US) 31-23-34 (EU) 78.5-58.5-86.5|
|Dress size||(US) 0; (EU) 34|
|Shoe size||(US) 9; (EU) 40; (UK) 6.5|
Karlie Elizabeth Kloss (born August 3, 1992) is an American fashion model. Models.com ranks Kloss as a Supermodel.  Vogue Paris declared her one of the top 30 models of the 2000s. She is a Victoria's Secret Angel.
Early life and discovery
Kloss was born in Chicago, Illinois, and later moved to St. Louis at the age of 2, the daughter of Tracy (née Fares), a freelance art director and Kurt Kloss, an emergency physician. Her family has Danish roots. She has three siblings, Kristine, and twins Kimberly and Kariann. She moved to St. Louis, with her family, in 1994. Kloss has called her classical ballet training "a beautiful thing" that taught her how to move in the modeling world and was a great training ground for her runway walk. Kloss was "discovered at a local benefit runway show". She attended Webster Groves High School.
2006–10: Beginnings and modelling breakthrough
In 2006, at the age of 14, Kloss posed for a cover and editorial shoot for Scene Magazine in Chicago with Photographer David Leslie Anthony. Elite Chicago (now Factor Women) then forwarded these tear sheets to Elite NY, who then brought Kloss to New York.
One of her first modelling stints was for Abercrombie kids when she posed for the brand's photography shot by Bruce Weber. In January 2008 she left Elite and signed with NEXT Model Management. She ended up walking 31 runways in New York Fashion Week notably, closing for Marc Jacobs, opening Carolina Herrera, and occupying both spots at Doo.Ri. After New York she went on to walk 20 shows in Milan, and 13 in Paris for the fall 2008 collections, with a total of 64 shows in a single season. Kloss found herself in the middle of a legal dispute when her former agency Elite Model Management sued NEXT Model Management for allegedly stealing its young star by offering her "improper compensation" to sign. Elite felt they were responsible for launching her career and booked much work for her. The case was eventually settled out of court.
After four years of being represented by Next Model Management, Kloss is now signed with IMG Models. "Karlie has an immense and loyal following, and we welcome the opportunity to help expand her relationships through endorsements as well as our global network that reaches beyond fashion", said Ivan Bart, IMG Models' senior vice president and managing director.
She has been in advertisements for Rebecca Taylor, Jean Paul Gaultier, Donna Karan, Nina Ricci, Chloé, Lacoste, Sportmax, Alexander McQueen, Yves Saint Laurent, Elie Saab, Dolce & Gabbana, Gap, Bally Shoe, Bergdorf Goodman, Pringle of Scotland, Dior, Hermes, Oscar de la Renta, Sonia Rykiel, Aquascutum, Topshop, Eryn Brinie, Uniqlo, Omnia Jade, Lord & Taylor, Barneys New York, American Eagle, and Victoria's Secret PINK. Kloss is the face of the Marc Jacobs fragrance Lola. She has walked for numerous designers in New York, London, Milan and Paris, including Shiatzy Chen, Calvin Klein, Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Givenchy, Gucci, Valentino, Louis Vuitton and Versace, Elie Saab and appeared in editorials for American and Korean W, American Elle, Allure, i-D, French and Japanese Numéro, Vanity Fair, Dazed & Confused, and American, Australian, Italian, French, British, Korean, German, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Portuguese, Teen, and Latin American Vogue magazines. Her covers include Italian Vogue in October 2009, January 2010, and December 2011, Vogue Turkey, Vogue Portugal, Vogue China in February, August, and November in 2010, British Vogue in September 2012, Vogue Korea and American Teen Vogue, alongside Chanel Iman and Ali Michael in February 2008 and by herself in May 2010. She has ventured into TV when she appeared in Season Four, Episode 1 of Gossip Girl as herself. She became a muse for fashion designer John Galliano and has appeared in Dior and John Galliano campaigns and opened both shows, Christian Dior Haute Couture and Dior resort shows from spring/summer 2010. In the spring/summer 2011 Season, she opened ten shows and closed eight.
2011–present: Recognition and success
Her runway walk, one of the most unique, is often described as powerful. In February 2011, supermodel Tyra Banks stated that Kloss was one of her favorite models because of her "unique, atypical beauty".
In 2011 Kloss renewed her contract with Christian Dior for the third season in a row. LIFE Magazine photographed Kloss for the cover of a special print issue handed out during New York Fashion Week in September 2011. The photo story inside the issue was photographed during the summer of 2011 and shows Kloss at the couture shows in Paris, in New York City, and in Saint Louis, her hometown. The same year, she made her debut in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
In 2012 Kloss was featured on the September covers of British Vogue, Japanese Vogue, Harper's Bazaar Russia, and Numéro. She appeared in the campaign ads of Juicy Couture, Stefanel, Elie Saab, and Jean Paul Gaultier. She co-hosted with the revival of the MTV series House of Style with fellow model Joan Smalls. She also appeared in that year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
In 2013, Kloss was the face of Donna Karan, Lacoste, and Lanvin campaigns. Kloss worked with Victoria's Secret on their 2013 summer swimwear video. She was also the red carpet host of the 2013 MTV Movie Awards pre-show. In April, Kloss starred alongside Daria Strokous, Monika Jagaciak and Iris Strubegger in Louis Vuitton's Alma bag campaign.
In 2013, Kloss was named as one of the new ambassadors for Coach, Inc. and stars in the accessory maker's Fall 2013 campaign.
In 2014, she was the face of Jean Paul Gaultier, Nike, Donna Karan, Lancaster, Chanel Coco Noir Fragrance campaigns. She also collaborated with Frame Denim to design the Forever Karlie jeans collection. In summer 2014, Karlie worked with Warby Parker in Karlie Kloss x Warby Parker eyewear line. In September 2014, after many speculations, L'Oreal Paris officially announced that they have signed Karlie to be the newest face.
Her hobbies include baking cookies, biking, and ballet.
In collaboration with Momofuku Milk Bar, she created a special recipe called Karlie's Kookies, which she sold in DKNY Soho during Fashion's Night Out in New York City, with proceeds benefiting hungry children around the world (through FEED Projects). She calls it a "Perfect 10 Kookie", because it contains dark chocolate and almond oat (dairy-free, gluten-free, and no sugar added).
In another social collaboration, this time with Warby Parker (which Kushner's company funded), Kloss co-designed sunglasses with a "1970s aesthetic". Proceeds benefited Edible Schoolyard NYC. In her typical friendly-style, Kloss also published a series of videos on YouTube directly addressing Warby Parker customers.
- Cowles, Charlotte (June 18, 2012). "Exclusive First Look: Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss Cover July W". NY Mag. New York Media, LLC. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss". Fashion Model Directory. 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss signs with IMG Models". IMG Models. September 5, 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Biography". models.com. November 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Les 30 mannequins des années 2000". Vogue Paris (in French). Condé Nast Publications. December 18, 2009. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "Supermodel: Karlie Kloss". vsallaccess.victoriassecret.com. Victoria's Secret. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Gerber Chapel. "Florence A. Fares". memorialsolutions.com. Memorial Solutions. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Blasberg, Derek (16 February 2013). "The Klosses". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Model Profile". New York Magazine. September 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- Garvey, Marianne (July 12, 2011). "Five Things to Know About Joe Jonas' New Cuddle Partner Karlie Kloss". E! Online. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Karlie". Teen Vogue. September 17, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- Peterson, Deb (May 4, 2011). "Top fashion model Karlie Kloss goes to the Webster Groves High School prom". St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Kevin Mowbray). Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- "Karlie Kloss Is Fashion Week's Top Model". New York Magazine. February 11, 2008. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "Model shop loses star, sues". New York Post (News Corporation). April 18, 2008. Retrieved July 20, 2008.[dead link]
- Dana Kruspe (September 5, 2012). http://fashionista.com/2012/09/karlie-kloss-signs-with-img-splits-with-next-and-mother-model-management-the-agency-that-first-signed-her/
- Rosen, Christopher (10 September 2010). "Model Karlie Kloss to Cameo on Gossip Girl". wetpaint.com. Wetpaint Entertainment. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Video of Teen Vogue cover shoot". Teen Vogue. June 26, 2008.[dead link]
- Kaufman, Sarah (February 15, 2011). "At 18, model Karlie Kloss conquers the runways at New York's Fashion Week". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Banks, Tyra (February 2011). "Tyra Banks". Twitter. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- Lim, James (January 4, 2011). "See the New Spring Campaigns for Dior, Prada, Versace, Gucci, and More". New York Magazine. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "Karlie Kloss: A Photo Essay for Life Magazine". stylecaster.com. Stylecaster Media Group. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Krupnick, Ellie (14 November 2011). "Karlie Kloss Covers Special Edition Of LIFE (PHOTOS)". huffingtonpost.com (Huffington Post). Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Model Portrait: Karlie Kloss". www.wmagazine.com. W Magazine. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Chernikoff, Leah (November 10, 2011). "The Top 10 Moments from the 2011 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: From Jay-Z's Surprise Performance to Karlie Kloss' Debut". www.fashionista.com. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- "Harper's Bazaar Russia September 2012 Cover". models.com. models.com. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Robson, Sarah (27 August 2012). "Karlie Kloss for Harper’s Bazaar Russia September 2012 is Play". trendhunter.com. Trend Hunter. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- " Victoria's Secret News". The Daily Telegraph (London). August 20, 2012.
- The Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/fash-mob/2012/08/07/karlie-kloss-for-stefanel-aw-2012/
|url=missing title (help).
- Gonzalez, Sandra (July 24, 2012). "MTV bringing back 'House of Style'". InsideTV. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Carpenter, Cassie (November 12, 2012). "Victoria's Secret apologises for Karlie Kloss' controversial Native American costume and edits look out of TV broadcast". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Jones, Toni (January 30, 2013). "Victoria's Secret girls Candice Swanepoel, Karlie Kloss and co. perform a cringey lip sync in their latest video ... but it's ok because they are all wearing BIKINIS!". Daily Mail (London: Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Karlie Kloss' MTV Movie Awards Red-Carpet Gig, In Her Own Words". MTV.com. 15 April 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- Socha, Miles. "Louis Vuitton Launching Campaign for Alma Bag" (1 April 2013). Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- George-Parkin, Hilary (1 April 2013). "PHOTOS: Louis Vuitton Nods To NYC Taxis In New Ad". Styleite.com. Styelite. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Kloss proud of Coach campaign". sg.news.yahoo.com. Cover Media. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Karlie is Chanel's New Face".
- http://www.style.com/beauty/people/2014/karlie-kloss-new-face-of-loreal-paris. Missing or empty
- "Josh Kushner Goes For A Stroll With Girlfriend Supermodel Karlie Kloss". Jewish Business News. May 25, 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Karlie's Kookies: A Perfect 10". www.style.com. September 5, 2012. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Brannigan, Maura. "Start 'Smizing'—Karlie Kloss Is Designing Sunglasses For Warby Parker!". Lucky Magazine. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karlie Kloss.|
- Official website
- Karlie Kloss at the Fashion Model Directory
- Karlie Kloss at the Internet Movie Database
- Karlie Kloss on Facebook
- Karlie Kloss on Twitter
- Kloss's Tumblr site
- Riverfront Times article