A native of West Des Moines, Iowa, in 1992 Kirby became the first person from the state of Iowa to compete in a Winter Olympic Games. A bobsledder, Kirby earned a bronze medal in the four-man event at the 1993 FIBT World Championships in Igls, Austria. This accomplishment marked Kirby as one of the first United States Bobsled athletes to medal in a World Championships in 28 years.
Once retired from competing Kirby became a leading advocate for other U.S. Olympic athletes through serving as a member of the United States Olympic Committee's Athletes Advisory Committee, the United States Olympic Committee's Board of Directors, and an Executive Committee member of the Salt Lake City Olympic Organizing Committee’s Board of Directors. Some of Kirby's leading initiatives included: getting women's bobsled recognized as an official Olympic sport in 2002, establishing educational opportunities for Olympic and Paralympic level athlete, and finical support of top ten World Championship/Olympic finishes.
An advocate for education, he earned his Bachelor's and Master's degrees at the University of New Mexico and an Educational Specialist degree from Drake University. Kirby was also accepted and studied at Oxford University.
Following stints working in television and insurance, Kirby later became an adjunct professor at William Penn University. He also taught extension courses at Drake University.
In his spare time, Kirby is a community activist volunteering for Special Olympics Iowa, the American Red Cross, and the local food pantry. Additionally, Kirby spends numerous hours each month working with school kids regarding making good decisions.
- Bobsleigh four-man world championship medalists since 1930
- Drake University course on theory of coaching featuring Kirby
- Four-man bobsleigh results: 1988-2002 Winter Olympics
- June 8, 2006 Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article featuring Kirby as a press spokesperson - Accessed September 8, 2007.
- Northern Arizone University High Altitude Center featuring Kirby
- Kirby visits Notre Dame School
- Northern Arizona University profile on Kirby joining the US Navy